Always willing to try something new

Snoop65

Apr 19, 2012
A galaxy far far away
I am more than happy with my current cartridge but I am always curious about others. Does anybody have any suggestions for cartridges I should try in the price range of $2000.00? My table uses a Pro-Ject 9cc . Here are the arm specs.
•Headshell 0,5" (12,7mm) standard

•Mounting distance 212mm (platter --> tonearm base, Linn standard)

•Supplied counterweight cartridge weight 6 - 10g

•Optional counterweights cartridge weight 3 - 6g, 5 - 8g and 11 - 15g

•Effective length 9" (230mm)

•Effective mass 8,5g

•Overhang 18mm

•Weight 250g (without counterweight

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
It would help to know what phono stage you are using and also what cartridges you have already tried? What did you like and not like about your previous carts and what are you looking to improve?

If your looking for a MM cart I like the Audio Technica AT150mlx.

Sean

Snoop65

Apr 19, 2012
A galaxy far far away
I use a Grado Reference Master 1. I am very happy with it and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I just like to explore and discover new things. I use the Sunfire Classic Tube preamp. It is very flexible and can handle any cartridge out there. I am open to moving magnet or moving coil.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
While I have not heard your cartridge I have read that Grado carts are on the warm side of neutral. If you want to try something different then the AT150mlx is what I would consider neutral or maybe a touch cool depending on your other gear. It is a pretty clear sounding cartridge. If you can spend a bit more the AT150anv anniversary edition has the same character but is even clearer sounding. I'm not sure if there are any left as it was a limited edition.

I'm not sure I would recommend a MC cart for your arm because of it's low effective mass. MC's tend to be low compliance and also send allot of energy into the arm. There may be some MC carts that will work but I have no experience with your tonearm so I can't say for sure.

Snoop65

Apr 19, 2012
A galaxy far far away
While I have not heard your cartridge I have read that Grado carts are on the warm side of neutral. If you want to try something different then the AT150mlx is what I would consider neutral or maybe a touch cool depending on your other gear. It is a pretty clear sounding cartridge. If you can spend a bit more the AT150anv anniversary edition has the same character but is even clearer sounding. I'm not sure if there are any left as it was a limited edition.

I'm not sure I would recommend a MC cart for your arm because of it's low effective mass. MC's tend to be low compliance and also send allot of energy into the arm. There may be some MC carts that will work but I have no experience with your tonearm so I can't say for sure.

Yes the Grado is warm and I love it! Thank you for the recommendation. I will definitely check the AT150 out.

Ptplayers

Feb 14, 2011
I just purchased a Dynavector XX2 and i absolutely love it .

Very dynamic and warm at the same time with great sound stage .

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Besides the XX2 recommendation, I would also consider something from Lyra or Zyx within the price range.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I'm a huge fan of the XX2 too though don't have enough cart. experience to say how it sounds vs. competitors. I find it fast, dynamic, and very extended w/zero harshness.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I second Zyx :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing