TechDas Air Force One

airbearing

May 2, 2012
Munich - Germany
Ha! You're probably right. The bottom platter acts as a huge flywheel. The top platter is held down by vacuum, and comes in three "flavors" - stainless steel, aluminum or acrylic.

View attachment 7091

the top platter should run on a cussion on air build up between the glasses. The outside lips on the top platter close the vacuum when the record is pulled down. am I right?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
the top platter should run on a cussion on air build up between the glasses. The outside lips on the top platter close the vacuum when the record is pulled down. am I right?

No, the platter is in 2 pieces. The bottom platter runs on a cushion of air. The top of the bottom platter also has a set of "lips" and there is a 1 litre air vacuum chamber that damps the vacuum flow of air, as well as sucks the top platter down. The top platter has inside and outside lips to pull the record down. Frequently, there may be dust/dirt on the label, and the label part is not vacuumed.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
hmm - cannot really follow your understanding of a flywheel concept. You always have a vector problem, the question is how strong is the motor. But you can measure it.

If the platter was static, a motor pulling on one side would cause the platter to topple over. With a gyroscope (which the spinning flywheel is), it stays vertical resisting movement until the torque is sufficient to cause precession

The angular velocity of the precession is easily calculated, and you just have to keep the vector force low enough that the precession is at a level that you can accept.

What I Like with the old Micro design is that you could change arm bases and go for 9", 12" or 14" arm designs not limited to a position on the table. Anyway good luck with the TechDas. It s good that something like that is entering the market. About prices no one talks today which is a pitty. Curious about more listening results.

The arm bases are very easy to change - less than 5 minutes to undo 4 screws and remove. So, you can put various length arms on. With the standard arm board, it will accept up to a 11" arm and still remain perpendicular to the side of the table. (Facing straight at you at rest). 12" or 14" arms would have to be on the secondary arm board.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Oh please, could we be any more dramatic? White gloves, hand movements like some Mime, whispered words so we don’t wake up baby. Couldn’t we have gotten a blessing by the Pope waving some incense over the turntable?

A legendary table indeed.

Mep, you are right, I should have (at the very least) called the Pope or had Geoff Kait, the guy that does phone call enhancements, "electronically" connected us in with the Vatican. But alas, all I had were the white gloves.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
air force one.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think that it might end with this table. After I set it up, I put on Nancy with the Laughing Face (Side 2 Track 1 on Oscar Peterson's Nigerian Marketplace). Within a bar, my wife ran over from the next room where she was busy surfing on her iPad and exclaimed "Wow! You've got to buy one of those. Sell more speakers!!"

Gary,

Now you convinced me about the TechDas superiority. Probably at this moment Apple designers are being pushed to create a better iPad! :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Gregadd, I can't tell if you took that picture. If you did and if you heard the table in the image, could you please comment on how the SME V-12 arm compares to the Phantom? Thanks.

i got the picture here.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I heard this table at Gary's place last week. It is very quiet and music flows nicely. Gary had the air pump right next to the table and I could not hear it at all. Definitely one of the best TT's out there. I'll put it this way. I was not in a hurry to leave.:D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It's here!!! I get to play with it for a couple of days before we have to pack it up to ship to Las Vegas. The arm/cartridge are just what I had handy. The Vertere arm is not ready yet and the twain shall meet at CES. (...)

Gary,

For the benefit of the science of sound reproduction :) you should record a few tracks in DSD5.6 using this fantastic turntable and make them available to WBF members ... I would immediately suggest the DD Harry James Shefield LP. I am sure many of us will support this noble research.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I'm very interested in the fact that this new contender for SOTA is a belt drive system. There is so much discussion these days about the superior speed stability of Direct Drive. And that is a long belt driving a heavy platter. I guess the material is non-stretch so that should address the issue and perhaps offer the speed stability and the isolation from motor noise.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
How can you have a non-stretch belt? Has anyone checked the speed stability of this new table?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary,

For the benefit of the science of sound reproduction :) you should record a few tracks in DSD5.6 using this fantastic turntable and make them available to WBF members ... I would immediately suggest the DD Harry James Shefield LP. I am sure many of us will support this noble research.

Haha!! I should have thought of that when I had the table in the factory, but we were all too busy enjoying the music. I can bring the Korg to CES so that I can do that..... but the more transparent chain might be to record at 24/192 directly off the ADC of the Burmester Ph100.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing