TechDas Air Force One

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Funny that I auditioned the new kid--and preferred the old boy--maybe technology not as advanced as we think-ha!

BruceD

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I know the ins-and-outs of mine, but not this one. One thing I do know, however, and that is the sooner the rest of the turntable world finally realizes that servos aren't the ticket, the better.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Funny. It's a tech bulletin for dealers that I'm sharing. It is a not a Servo system by the way.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Funny that I auditioned the new kid--and preferred the old boy--maybe technology not as advanced as we think-ha!

BruceD

Bruce

Did you audition both tables with the same arm and cart?

The FR 66 would wipe the floor with the SME every day of the week.

the SX-8000 II was also MS's best table and even today, 30 years later sells close to the AF-2's price.

AF2 is the 2nd best Tech Das table :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

BruceD

You like what you like :)

@Tom - We've had that discussion ;)

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Interesting. No feedback what so ever in your motor "control"?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but mine works in a way similar to the way the AF1/2 makes its corrections. The difference is, assuming I understand the AF1/2 scheme, is that mine also takes a look-see at intervals, but makes several subtle corrections whenever a discrepancy is detected, depending on the degree of correction needed. That's oversimplification that only scratches the surface because another thread would be the place for any in depth discussion about what I do. This thread isn't about that. Thanks for asking, though.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Good Turntable should be User friendly . hifi it just a toy for man .(us) should not to complex for set up and should easy to play

let see some turntable that make thing like a Tamiya car kit !!! can play , can upgrade , can modify a lot of part , can beauty it up. user friendly.

this kit 20-30 old and I'm sure that this will be master plan for AF 3 !!! so i very enjoy this 1500 kit

Our Thai friend appears to be psychic :D

Air Force 3 is expected later this year. Square like the 1500 and will be able to take 4 arms. It will have the TD Air tech and is expected to be half the price of an AF2 / a quarter of the price of an AF1.

We thought the AF2 would be a smaller table but it turned out to be huge too. This seems to be the answer for those in need of a more compact TD Table.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I had a pretty annoying time keeping the airpods on my VPI TNT Mk. IV happy. I also found the turntable frustrating to level because the bottom of the airpods did not turn easily and in a consistent way.

Does anyone know if the oil damping system on the Air Force Two will be applied to new production of the Air Force One?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I had a pretty annoying time keeping the airpods on my VPI TNT Mk. IV happy. I also found the turntable frustrating to level because the bottom of the airpods did not turn easily and in a consistent way.

Does anyone know if the oil damping system on the Air Force Two will be applied to new production of the Air Force One?
Why ? The air chamber feet are a snap to level. I may need to top off the Air once every 6-8 months

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yup. Got the memo from Motofumi-san. I'm very tempted to try it.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Yup. Got the memo from Motofumi-san. I'm very tempted to try it.

Do you have the stainless platter ? If so, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on stainless vs titanium...of course with the much lighter titanium platter, there will be less rotational mass.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have the stainless platter. If I get the titanium one I'll let you guys know. The thing is, I'm already dialled in now with the aluminium. That's what's holding me back.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have the stainless platter. If I get the titanium one I'll let you guys know. The thing is, I'm already dialled in now with the aluminium. That's what's holding me back.

Is the stainless platter different than the duralumin and do you have both Jack

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes Steve they're different. I do have both.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Is the stainless platter different than the duralumin and do you have both Jack

It is...I have both and prefer steel. It's a voicing difference. The aluminum platter is more damped than the steel. If your room is lively, the aluminum may be preferred. If the room is more damped like mine, the steel opens up and extends the frequency extremes more.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Strange. My impressions are the opposite with regards to extension up top. I found the stainless the punchier of the two down below.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Jack, I came across your video on YouTube. Sounds good. May I ask what cartridge did use? Many thanks

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Ash :) In the video I was using a TechDAS TD COi cartridge :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing