TechDas Air Force One

The Phantom

Sep 6, 2012
Why ? The air chamber feet are a snap to level. I may need to top off the Air once every 6-8 months

Christian is right; the air chambers of the AF-1 are very sophisticated and do the job without a lot of maintenance. I can't comment on the VPI design, but of course it's made to a different price point, and some compromises are always involved. (Just as the acrylic platter was finally removed from the price list; although it was the least expensive of the platter choices, it was also the least desirable sonically. I think that the novelty of acrylic platters in general is moving into the past, as while the looks are nice (until scratched or dusty) there is a definite loss in performance, no matter who makes the turntable. (I realize that may start a stream of protests from some corners, but the fact is true that acrylic and vinyl are NOT the same material, and there's no reason to assume an acrylic platter will be better at energy absorbtion than other materials. Nothing except a vinyl platter, if one wants to take the argument to a logical extension. Which is why the Air Force turntables use a thin, highly-efficient and energy-absorbing mat which is much more gentle to the LP surface than any plastic or metal platter.

Regarding post #752, below, please be aware that the Japan list price is of no value in other countries, since the Yen/Dollar/Euro ratio is entirely different. I'm in the process of updating our U.S. price sheet for the new platter and also the upcoming AF-3.

More later as I have something of importance to offer. But I'm watching the posts on this and certainly appreciate the intrest and enthusiasm for these products. (But don't forget- the very best turntable is silent until a tonearm is attached, and here is where I believe we offer the ideal matach for the Air Force turntables. And the recent reviews seem to echo that, so that's good. I get irked when I see show reports talk about how good a turntable sounded in a show demo, but with no mention of the arm or cartridge involved - like saying that empty speaker CABINETS sounded great! An impossibility from the engineering standpoint, and inconsiderate of the effort made others for the arms and cartridge involved in their audio bliss.... (Check out the CES report that casually mentions a room setup using the AF-2 in one of the magazines for an example of this...)

belated happy 4th to all - Bob Graham

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
As an interested prospective customer for the AF One I have a question regarding the new titanium platter. Is it possible to order the AF One with only the titanium platter or does it come bundled with one of the 3 optional platters ?
Thanks
Pradeep

The Phantom

Sep 6, 2012
As an interested prospective customer for the AF One I have a question regarding the new titanium platter. Is it possible to order the AF One with only the titanium platter or does it come bundled with one of the 3 optional platters ?
Thanks
Pradeep

Hello Pradeep,

Yes, the turntable can be ordered with just the titanium platter, although this will raise the price by the difference between the standard aluminum platter and new, more expensive titanium version. As I believe these is no dealer/distributor in your area at this point, you are welcome too contact us here with more specific questions - including, I hope -for the Elite tonearm!!

Bob Graham

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Bob
Many thanks for reaching out. Yes a 12" Elite is on the horizon. Do send me a PM and we can take this conversation forward off line
Best
Pradeep

jwj

Jan 21, 2017
and good news for any body who have problem with this donut , we did the new one here with very terrible price .( just warning ) only for micro fellow , need help just PM me .

Hi,my friend,luckily I just found yr this message today.Please kindly tell me if you still have this donut or renewed one for micro?Thanks.

jwj

Jan 21, 2017
my micro seiki BA600 air base 30 year old after replace old air hose can stay a year with out refill air for afo i'm sure that they have more expert on it. picture show BA 600 without air hose

ps thank for upgrade info mr koh , the thailand can't sent afo unit to japan it will cost double tax (37% / time) . so my dealer say i may need upgrade myself but after see it need to wire air hose under base . i'm not sure that my afo will have a hold for all air hose. and my logo plate also can't pull out !!! if you know that can user upgrade will be good for me

Are you still here in this forum?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing