More High Resolution Software for Tapeheads!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Nice coverage Myles, are you aware if Opus will sport a booth at RMAF to buy tapes?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Nice coverage Myles, are you aware if Opus will sport a booth at RMAF to buy tapes?

Not to my knowledge but you may be able to find Kevin at the Elusive Disc booth (if they're there).

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Myles, thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be adding to my 15 ips 2 tr tape collection. Turns out I have 34 Opus 3 LP's, including the "Maytan and Friends" album which is one of HP's TAS Super Discs. Larry

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be adding to my 15 ips 2 tr tape collection. Turns out I have 34 Opus 3 LP's, including the "Maytan and Friends" album which is one of HP's TAS Super Discs. Larry

Always glad to help you spend your money! ;)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
thanks Myles.

i've got this Opus 3 sampler, it is very very good. i do plan on buying a few of the full titles when my funds recover from my current expendatures.

here's hopeing that more labels take this same approach.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
thanks Myles.

i've got this Opus 3 sampler, it is very very good. i do plan on buying a few of the full titles when my funds recover from my current expendatures.

here's hopeing that more labels take this same approach.

Ditto on both fronts!

Just was talking with Bob@Yarlung Records and hopefully he'll be offering more tapes down the road.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Even opus 3 sample tape sees highly recommended, it's pretty pricey at 2100 Swedish krona which work out to be usd317 for 33min of playing time . Other tape cost 2900 Swedish krona ie usd437. All this before adding shipping cost + custom tax.
Yarlung records is more reasonably price at usd450 for 4 tapes. Bought it all looking forward to it. Purchase 2Lp to sample & quite like what I heard esp the 1 from Argentina .

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Anybody has purchase any tape from John brooks? Seems to have a lot of exotic titles eg dave brubeck time out

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Anybody has purchase any tape from John brooks? Seems to have a lot of exotic titles eg dave brubeck time out

my 2 cents; bad form to mention any grey market 'underground' titles on an open forum. not a good road to go down. agree that a minor mention here and there is maybe no big deal. but any thread that focuses on this subject could end up as a problem for someone. better PM's, emails, and phone calls.

as to your question; i have many of John's tapes and generally like them.

and btw, like Ki i infected John with the tape bug.;)

Last edited:

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Ok didn't know anything about grey market. The tapes are offered for sales through audiogon thks

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Audiogon: Jazz, Blues, Rock Safety Master Tapes

Jazz:? Louis Bellson, Dave Brubeck, Don Byas, Arnett Cobb, Count Basie, Dizzy Gillespie, Dexter Gordon, Lionel Hampton, Coleman Hawkins, Ilinois Jacquet, Hank Jones, Cleo Laine, Carmen McRae, Jay McShan, Charels Mingus, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Tete Montoliu, Gerry Mulligan, Oscar Pettiford, Buddy Rich, Max Roach, Slam Stewart, Buddy Tate, Clark Terry, Ben Webster, Gerald Wiggins, Kai Winding, more???

Blues:
??"Gatemouth" Brown, Lloyd Glenn, Ella Fitzgerald, John Lee Hooker, Lightnin' Hopkins, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGee, Johnny Shines, Memphis Slim, Otis Spann, Big Joe Turner, Big Joe Williams, Jimmy Witherspoon, more?

Rock:
??The Band, The Beatles, Buffalo Springfield, The Byrds, Camel, Champaign, Cream, Creedence Clearwater Revival, CS&N, CSN&Y, Dire Straits, Doobie Brothers, The Doors, Earth Wind & Fire, Gloria Estefan, Jimi Hendrix, Jethro Tull, Joni Mitchell, Otis Redding, Santana, Paul Simon, Simon & Garfunkel, Percy Sledge, Rolling Stones, Traffic, The Who, Yes, Neil Young, more?

All are 1/4", two-track, 15 ips.

scaled_Master_Tapes1.jpg

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Audiogon: Jazz, Blues, Rock Safety Master Tapes

Jazz:? Louis Bellson, Dave Brubeck, Don Byas, Arnett Cobb, Count Basie, Dizzy Gillespie, Dexter Gordon, Lionel Hampton, Coleman Hawkins, Ilinois Jacquet, Hank Jones, Cleo Laine, Carmen McRae, Jay McShan, Charels Mingus, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Tete Montoliu, Gerry Mulligan, Oscar Pettiford, Buddy Rich, Max Roach, Slam Stewart, Buddy Tate, Clark Terry, Ben Webster, Gerald Wiggins, Kai Winding, more???

Blues:
??"Gatemouth" Brown, Lloyd Glenn, Ella Fitzgerald, John Lee Hooker, Lightnin' Hopkins, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGee, Johnny Shines, Memphis Slim, Otis Spann, Big Joe Turner, Big Joe Williams, Jimmy Witherspoon, more?

Rock:
??The Band, The Beatles, Buffalo Springfield, The Byrds, Camel, Champaign, Cream, Creedence Clearwater Revival, CS&N, CSN&Y, Dire Straits, Doobie Brothers, The Doors, Earth Wind & Fire, Gloria Estefan, Jimi Hendrix, Jethro Tull, Joni Mitchell, Otis Redding, Santana, Paul Simon, Simon & Garfunkel, Percy Sledge, Rolling Stones, Traffic, The Who, Yes, Neil Young, more?

All are 1/4", two-track, 15 ips.

View attachment 5294

I have a handful of them.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Are they any good?

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Holy Cow!
Sounds like my friend's list... Except he's been pretty cloak and dagger about the whole thing.
There must be an abundance of these safety masters floating around out there, this is the 3rd guy I've heard of now offering 'Time Out'
Wondering if the quality differs between them?
I got a safety dupe of KOB that I'm going to compare to my friends copy... Just to see if there is any difference. The stock playback electronics in the Studer are a bit 'soft' so I doubt I'd hear a huge difference between the two on my machine. Would be interesting to know though... God knows they're $$$!! (for me, at least)!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Are they any good?

They are variable as they come from many different labels (Black Lion, Black and Blue, Candid, etc). John is very honest and will recommend some tapes. Two of my faves are the two Candid releases (I think they were actually done in Fine Studios) of Memphis Slim USA, Clark Terry Colors and Lightnin Hopkins NY. A little soft (as is the LP) and a little more hiss than other tapes (these are relatively early stereo recordings). But the sound is very good, upfront perspective and great vocals and midrange. I also have the Grooves Holmes (? I'd have to play to remember the sound), Hank Jones (so-so), Jimmy Witherspoon (?),

It actually looks like John has added to his list of tapes since I saw it last.

jdza

May 3, 2010
A number of these "safety masters" on e bay are Dolby A encoded ( including the one in the photo above). I assume those of you that have these have the appropriate Dolby units? I am personally scared of Dolby as I do not understand all the tones and calibration needed.

Can one of the users please enlighten us with experiences on Dolby decoders i.e. what type to get,calibration, sonics etc?

LInks

Jun 28, 2011
Vancouver BC
www.allmusic.com
Dolby A can be scary these days.
I have working 361 series models (single channel) and a 363, dual channel (also with Dolby SR).

What is scary?
First of all your tape deck must have balanced XLR line outputs.
The cat. 22 decoder cards in the 361, can develop faults in any one of the 4 frequency bands
that the recording signal has been split into.
(The input signal is split into four frequency bands with 12 dB/oct slopes:
lowpass @ 80 Hz; bandpass 80 Hz - 3 kHz; highpass @ 3 kHz; highpass @ 9 kHz.)
No internal adjustments on the card.
The only fix is to replace with a different working cat.22 board in the unit in question.
How do you test your board?
Why with an unobtanium Dolby NMR test set cat. no. 35 of course!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing