How much would you pay for movies that come out early?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Let's have a poll of how much you would pay to watch a movie which would come out:

1. One week after theatrical release

2. Two week after theatrical release

3. Three week after theatrical release

4. Four week after theatrical release

Assume Blu-ray level quality for audio/video. No extra material -- same as the theater.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
First, is this a "watch-once" deal, or some kind of stored media (download or physical disc)? For us, with many Disney discs rewatched ad infinatum, replay is a value concern.

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Tough crowd :). Let's make the following addition: you have 24 hours to watch the movie and you can watch it as many times on as many TVs you like. And that when the movie comes out for purchase in normal window, you would get a discount.

Answering for myself, I would pay $25 to $30 in the first four weeks (not picky about which week) to watch movies I like. There is a class of movie which I really like to see while everyone else is talking about like Avatar and next Toy Story and not wait months to do it. But I really, really hate going to movie theaters these days. What a waste of time to drive there, wait until the movie starts and put up ads, not being able to find the right seat, and having the right seat being in the middle of 100 seats, making it impossible to go to bathroom, get more food, etc. The cost for us is at least $30 for such an event to boot. So why wouldn't I pay extra to watch it at home?

Again, imagine we are talking about your top favorite movies, not every movie. People who said don't want to pay extra, don't go to movies anymore? Or are you saying that the movie experience in the theater is better than anything at home?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Once again, I wouldn't pay a penny extra.

Half the fun of seeing the movie is going to the movie theater. I don't have the same issues as you. If I want to guaranty my seats I will purchase tickets on Fandango before I leave to avoid those lines. Fandango charges an extra dollar per ticket. That's where I draw the line

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Is gas free in California too? :) And do you starve yourself while there or get the expensive drink and popcorn?

BTW, I didn't say anything about waiting for the line but rather, having to get there before movie starts which includes both drive time and sitting around through commercials.

Steve Williams

Amir

you need to get out more often and socialize ;)

I look at the time before the movie starts as time to converse with my wife.

Usually just a small popcorn for us to share. Theaters are all very close by so not worried about the cost of gas.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We get out Steve. I just want to do that on my terms, rather than lining up like sheep for some sort of entertainment. In the days when theaters had better A/V quality than the home, that was different. And I have no argument with younger crowd and some others :) treating it as a social experience which cannot be replicated. But for me, I can talk to my wife walking on the beach or cooking together, rather than sitting in uncomfortable seats in theater, trying to see how I best position myself to see over the guy in front of me (yes, even with stadium seating this is an issue).

Another issue for me is travel. Sometimes I travel enough that the movie goes off the theaters yet it is not available for purchase on physical discs. In that case, there is no other answer but to wait and wait....

Steve Williams

wouldn't you agree that on those long airplane flights many if not most of the movies are available in-flight

I guess I don't set the pole as high as you when it comes to movies. My wife and i go frequently and commonly dine out before or after. We always have a good time.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
They are available on the flight and indeed, that is how I get my fix most of the time. But when I come home, I feel guilty that the family could not watch it the same way. And of course, on United we are talking a Hi8 video tape shown on 20 year old 8 inch LCD! So I avoid watching scifi movies waiting instead to get them on physical discs.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
For certain event type films like The Dark Knight, I would pay up to $100 to be able to watch full 1080p with lossless HD audio in my own theater within a week of release.

mimesis

Sep 26, 2010
I wouldn't pay extra - my attention to blitz marketing is so weak that I really don't pay know what movie is launching when. I track Blu Ray releases instead!

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'm with you for the most part. I don't really want to watch movies at the movie theater -- I prefer to watch in my own.

But, if I could get a blu-ray quality viewing in my own theater for the big films within a week of release, I could hold movie openings in my theater and invite all of my friends and family who aren't as strong and who I know will weaken and go see it in the theater.

It would be fun and if you've got 5 to 10 people, $100 isn't too stiff a tariff, IMO.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
I guess that the point move around whether you have an impressive HT systems or not, or whether you are used to watch movies with friends/family regularly or not.
For example, I watch movies (DVDs) on a humble 28" LCD TV, and audio goes through my 2ch system. And I usually watch movies alone (at home). Consequently, to me not only there's no reason to spend a cent more than the regular price of a BR movie, but there's no reason to BUY a BR. With Netflix I'm literally overwhelmed with choice of movies, and if I really want to watch a movie without waiting the time required to have it available for rent, I go to the movie theater (with friends, in that case).

But I'm not surprised that some people have HT systems that are better that a movie theater, plus the comfort to be at home, with a selected crowd and snacks and food that are way better than the ones you have at the movie theater.

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
I guess I'm with most people on this one as I wouldn't pay more to see it at home unless I had a awesome theater to view it. I look at it more from a economic standpoint as going to the movies is a big luxury to me. I usually will only go once a year to see a movie that I really want to see. If I had the resources to have a nice dedicated theater then I guess $20-30 wouldn't be that big of a deal to see a current release at home. I'm with docvale in that Netflix (disc service) is my primary way to view movies.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I am just piling on but I won't pay a penny more for early access. Frankly, once something is recorded and once I know it will be available, I have no trouble waiting. I do look forward to some movies and I do enjoy watching them once but, overall, movies are just not that important to me.

Kal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing