What preamp have I not tried?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

IT seems that this hasn't been sugested in this thread.

Burmester?

808?

In my experience the best preamps I have heard even with non Burmester amps...

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
if your sticking with the Lamm amps, perhaps you should consider their reference 4 chassis preamp. I believe synergy between components from the same mfgr. matters.

+1 (plus the cable upgrades that has been discussed)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The M1.2s have psuedo balanced XLR inputs that can accept balanced signals as well as 2 RCA inputs, one phase inverted. No need for adapters :)

Jack,

As the M1.2s are pseudo-balanced this could completely change the situation - some balanced preamplifiers will sound better in real balanced differential than in RCA. I have found that ARC REF3, 5 and 40 sound and measure better in true balanced than RCA.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The M1.2s have psuedo balanced XLR inputs that can accept balanced signals as well as 2 RCA inputs, one phase inverted. No need for adapters :)

That's why I suggested FM Acoustics and SMc Audio. These two balanced preamps sound the same into single-ended, balanced, and pseudo-balanced power amps. The Burmesters, while excellent, would be better into a differential-balanced power amp. The SMc Audio also sounds the same with single-ended and balanced sources.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Good point. It's better to figure out where the sound issue is coming from rather than trying to find a component match to address that difficiency. More room treatment/bass trapping ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I suppose if people are suggesting the speakers are a more difficult load...then an alternative perhaps is to leave everything as is...and consider changing the amp first to see if another one can drive it to suit MadFloyd's tastes better?

I admit i always expected Lamm 1.2 and Sashas would go well together. But Lamm is not the only combination for sure. The best i've heard the Wilson 8s sound was with MBL monos and ARC Ref 3 preamp. Sasha is quite different, but i have not experimented enough or listened critically enough given MadFloyds exacting focus.

MadFloyd - your comments focused mainly on transparency and articulated, clean and extended bass. It might just be worth leaving your system as is, and experimenting with an alternative amp? i am thinking serious muscle, SS, highly transparent with a touch of sweetness. Pass XS? Vitus? Gryphon?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
To me it would be zanden 3000 and CAT legend .
But i dont need it anymore , as i m gonna sell the boulder and cat and stick with a integrated zanden

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
To me it would be zanden 3000 and CAT legend .
But i dont need it anymore , as i m gonna sell the boulder and cat and stick with a integrated zanden

Wow! Congrats! I was wondering when you were going to make your decision! I am a big Zanden fan as you know. Congrats again, AAudio!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
KISS keep it simple stupid :D
The zanden is in a bit of another class slightly above , it makes even cds quit enjoyable , i am not a amp expert but i think its in the rise/settling times transistor cant match it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The zanden is in a bit of another class slightly above...

IMHO, Zanden definitely fits into the 'magic' category. Magic is subjective, but when you find it...well, it's magic. And that is all that matters. I am no expert either...i just enjoy Zanden magic. Enjoy your Zanden!!! ;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
It will probably be my last hifi , adding another zanden phono and i am set for the next 20 years .
I agree with you on zanden: it gives roomfill bassdefinition and triode reality in spades , although very neutral /relaxed , very very pure transparent sound and very dynamic as well , if one likes it it could be your last brand

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It will probably be my last hifi , adding another zanden phono and i am set for the next 20 years .
I agree with you on zanden: it gives roomfill bassdefinition and triode reality in spades , although very neutral /relaxed , very very pure transparent sound and very dynamic as well , if one likes it it could be your last brand

+1000!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I know a few Zanden owners who have 'had it all'...and still own their Zanden equipment after all these years. One of them emailed me a few weeks to say he has just about gotten 'his Clearaudio Master Reference to match' his Zanden digital. That's first time i've ever heard anyone say that about TT v digital! And i think this guy is one who qualifies as having owned/tried a lot of SOTA equipment. He still owns all his Zanden equipment for the last several years.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Think the speakers are your issue. You need higher efficiency speakers.

Keith- I'm going through a similar process to Floyd and have Avantgarde horns, which are really efficient. The midrange of the L2 is pretty special, it's not tube warmth (the L2 isn't tubes anyway, except in the power supply, which may account in part for why it sounds the way it does), but for lack of a better word, the midrange 'voicing' is very correct spatially- it just sounds like music. The frequency extremes drop off and while what's there is ok, it is 'dark.'
I haven't tried the various other solid state preamps discussed here (or that Floyd has already tried), but the trick would be to get the highest frequencies and deep bass articulation without giving up that midrange 'magic.' Thus my interest in this thread as well.

Last edited:

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
I own an Ayre KXR Preamp. NO listening fatigue over here. My whole system is Tara Lab Golds IC's. Running Pass Lab Rushmore speaker / amps with new RAAL ribbon tweeters. The harsh highs you heard is not from the KXR pre. Noticed system cabling needs to come off the floor for a start, and maybe some room treatment.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have bass trapping in one corner. From speakers showing listening chair.JPG

(the yellow circle is where I sit - in the corner you can see a RealTraps MondoTrap sitting on top of a hidden MegaTrap)

I do wonder if the M1.2 Ref is adding a bit of bass bloat. Next weekend I am going to Paragon to hear the Dan D'agostino Momentum (among other items).

I've never heard of Gryphon or Vitus, I'll have to research them. Pass XS is too big and hot for my room.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have bass trapping in one corner. View attachment 5276

(the yellow circle is where I sit - in the corner you can see a RealTraps MondoTrap sitting on top of a hidden MegaTrap)

I do wonder if the M1.2 Ref is adding a bit of bass bloat. Next weekend I am going to Paragon to hear the Dan D'agostino Momentum (among other items).

I've never heard of Gryphon or Vitus, I'll have to research them. Pass XS is too big and hot for my room.
So, you are right against the back wall, and to your left, as seated, is an open archway leading to more space. Wonder if you could reposition yourself, get some distance from that back wall for one? I don't think the color yellow affects the sound, but Peter Belt may have a different view? :)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
So, you are right against the back wall, and to your left, as seated, is an open archway leading to more space. Wonder if you could reposition yourself, get some distance from that back wall for one? I don't think the color yellow affects the sound, but Peter Belt may have a different view? :)

Here's another shot to show how open it does get. I have experimented with sitting closer (moving the chair you see in the pic in front of the couch). There's not a whole lot of difference in terms of bass. The biggest difference is not having my head right against the wall - which is why I use the yellow cushion to keep me bit forward - it works well).
Open to house.JPG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing