Squeezebox RIP?

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
It's been removed from Logitech's site and haven't heard anything about a replacement in the pipeline. This is a loss, I think it's one of the best values in all of audio and I'm not convinced anything betters it SQ-wise as a streaming device. It listed for $299. Looks like Logitech is focusing on BT/Airplay speakers and so forth.

Sonos is the obvious alternative but tops out at 16/44.1 on its digital output and lacks the occasionally handy touchscreen.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
A big problem with Sonos is that is a closed device so integrating it and controlling it with other devices is very difficult. For this reason a ton of Squeezeboxes are used in custom home integration business.

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
It's been removed from Logitech's site and haven't heard anything about a replacement in the pipeline. This is a loss, I think it's one of the best values in all of audio and I'm not convinced anything betters it SQ-wise as a streaming device. It listed for $299. Looks like Logitech is focusing on BT/Airplay speakers and so forth.

Really? Booo! Another really nice product by a little fish swallowed by a big fish then cancelled. :(

*checks Ebay*

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Yep, and after buying it and developing a new product or two, they barely marketed it.

Amir, there are some drivers for Sonos for Control4, but they come from a third party developer.

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
A big problem with Sonos is that is a closed device so integrating it and controlling it with other devices is very difficult. For this reason a ton of Squeezeboxes are used in custom home integration business.

It's closed compared to Squeezebox but Sonos can be controlled by many non-AV devices. At my home we use an android phone, android tablet, Macbook Pro, PC, Ipad, and Ipod touch as Sonos controllers.

trponhunter

Apr 30, 2012
Amir is right = sonos cannot be controlled by crestron and savant, and you need a 3rd party app to control it from control4

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Biggest problem to me with Sonos is their refusal to be controlled by IR and IP... So once you introduce in a system you have to fight to control it with what works for all the other equipment... Never tried Squeezebox .. TOo bad :(

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just bought a tablet -- the Nexus 7 -- and downloaded an App to control my Squeezebox Touch system. Very nice to browse the music collection from the listening position. Hard to believe that such a nice system seems not to have achieved sufficient market "success".

michael123

Nov 17, 2011
I was preparing myself to Squeezebox departure for couple of years..

I have Transporter that was heavily upgraded (power supply and regulators, clocks).. that sounds very close to EMM XD S1 ;-) now
Apart from being limited to 96/24 (everything else is downsampled by half), the sound is pretty good.. I had PerfectWave DAC and Weiss202 on my system, and while the latter sounded better on the redbook sources, using high-rez was more or less on the same level..

Anyway, in a couple of years hopefully Weiss MAN301 will take its place..

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
IPeng became an increasingly good control app for iDevices. The iPad made it easy to look up all kinds of info on the album and artist. Did hear about a company looking to repurpose the SB/LMS software into other hardware though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing