Fake Celebrity Pranks New York City

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Kind of long but cute nonetheless. It's gone viral. How do you say "mass hysteria"

On the night of July 27th, 2012, a huge prank was pulled in New York City and this is the video of what took place. Brett Cohen came up with a crazy idea to fool thousands of pedestrians walking the streets of Times Square into thinking he was a huge celebrity, and it worked! Not only did it work, it caused quite a stir. This social experiment, of sorts, makes a profound statement about how modern culture is so attracted to pop culture, without any real credibility needed.

He dressed up like a typical celebrity and was accompanied by an entourage of two professional bodyguards, two assistants, and photographers pretending to be paparazzi. While the assistants and photographers waited for Brett to exit the 49th street marquee at NBC Studios, they started a buzz that a "big star" was about to walk out, thus making it worth their while to wait and get a picture. Many asked the crew whom Brett was, and no answer was given. They were forced to either make something up, or just take a picture with him in hopes that their Facebook friends or Twitter followers might have a better idea.

As the crew walked over to Times Square, the crowds around Brett grew on each consecutive block. Very few people even questioned who he was, where he was from, or what he does. Brett took pictures with nearly 300 people before the stunt ended. The video even includes interviews with people who had just taken a picture with Brett, and puts them in an awkward position when they're asked questions such as, "Where do you know Brett from?" and "What's your favorite movie he was in?" Many of them were overwhelmingly excited over Brett's walk through Times Square, and it showed.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I guess you can say you are whatever you want as long as nobody finds out.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Sad commentary of our times... People can be famous ..simply for appearing to be ... famous? ... I don't (yet?) get it ..

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Sad commentary of our times... People can be famous ..simply for appearing to be ... famous? ... I don't (yet?) get it ..

simply put, the phenomenon is called "mass hysteria".... sort of like being in a theater when someone says they smell something noxious (fake) only to have the entire theater become overcome with fumes (or so they thought)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

We have now people who do absolutely nothing but exist in a sort of celebrity distortion field, Kim Kardishian being the foremost but we also had Paris Hilton .. there are others I don't care enough to know or remember).. This is to me beyond mass Hysteria ... The willingness to accept the appearance of celebrity and to make so much of it ... Oh well to each its own. I am not sure that a society that bestow so much on people that do nothing is in a good shape. There will be corrections...

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
The phenomenon of mass hysteria is real and regards not only persons, but also objects. Fashion, per se, might take some features of mass hysteria (I remember the Swatch-mania in Europe in 1991), and, in the end, it is based on someone that dictates what's cool and what's not.

Regarding this video, I found it funny. I don't know, though, how many of the people that are interviewed are actually random victims of the joke or, instead, fake "hysteric" that helped Brett to make his video funnier.

Speaking of hysteria, anyway, this video is a perfect self-promotion. Brett might be enrolled for some future reality show...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing