What on your rack is a Mac?

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I only have one piece, my 11 year old CD player.

MCD7009

It's built like a tank.

It is the only piece of equipment I could not make the sound better using any of my resonance tweaks (different feet, brass weights on top.....and so forth).

I know they make speakers too, list what you have. I was just trying to make a rhyme.:p

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Everything: MCD500, C500 pre and MC501 monoblocks. Say what you want but MAC has the best build quality and sound for the $$. Let the flames begin.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Everything: MCD500, C500 pre and MC501 monoblocks. Say what you want but MAC has the best build quality and sound for the $$. Let the flames begin.

One of the few "flames" I ever heard about Mac's was from a Linn dealer. After listening to an all Linn system I told him that I could not stop tapping my toes, the rythum was just so easy to get caught up in. That's what's Linn is known for he said, what do you listen to now? I have a McIntosh CD player.........he gives me a queer look and says; Mac's are all about soundstaging at the expense of everything else.

That said I do love a good sense of space and 3D soundstage.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
One of the few "flames" I ever heard about Mac's was from a Linn dealer. After listening to an all Linn system I told him that I could not stop tapping my toes, the rythum was just so easy to get caught up in. That's what's Linn is known for he said, what do you listen to now? I have a McIntosh CD player.........he gives me a queer look and says; Mac's are all about soundstaging at the expense of everything else.

Yeah well, I have never jumped on the Linn bandwagon for a number of reasons, one of which was that their dealers were, apparently, trained in dissing the competition. The founder of the company, Ivor Tiefenbrun is/was, in my opinion, a nutjob.

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS
I have three MC501s, and two MC252. I also have Mcintosh speakers, two pair of WS350 speakers and the new XR200 speakers.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Well, I tried to be a McIntosh owner. I bought a C2300 preamp in hopes that it would replace my Counterpoint SA-2 and SA-5.1 combo with a single box solution that had far more gadgets and gizmos than the Counterpoint pair. The C2300 is a good looking piece that will take MC cartridges straight in and allow you to change loading on the fly from the remote. For a preamp with six 12AX7 tubes, the C2300 sounds very much like SS. The sound of my LPs took a nose dive. The only way I could make the phono stage sound half way decent was to use my SA-2 into the MM side of the C2300. I had other C2300 owners tell me that I must use Telefunken 12AX7 tubes and then I would be happy. I wasn't buying that so it went back to Classic Audio. I dealt with Gordon Gow's son, and he told me that he wasn't surprised that I liked my SA-5.1 better. He gave props to the SA-5.1 and said it would take a far more expensive preamp than the C2300 to beat it. He said I would have to go to one of McIntosh's true balanced preamps to beat it. Live and learn.

Mark

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I own the C500P and according to folks I know who have owned both the C2300 and the C500P, the C500 wins hands down. The phono section is very good also.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
And the C500 is how much?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
My 2-channel rig uses a Mac C36 preamp.

Ron

Jul 2, 2010
My Mac pieces

MX150
MCD500
MC402
MC205

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
I have a McIntosh MC352, C2200, MS300 with 750 GB Drive, MR85, MVP871, and a MC275MV.
I had a MCD205, but I sold it.

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I feel sorry not to see any pics of proud Mac owners on this thread, I have had quite a few in the past and always enjoyed its sound and looks.

mjcmt

Jul 28, 2012
I had a '90s Linn system and I will agree that it was the most amazing and energizing systems I've ever owned. The Linn Klout was easily one of the best amps I've ever owned and it sounded wonderful with a tube preamp too. Plus the Karik III cdp revealed excellent detail while still musical. I loved this system with the Linn Majik preamp as well as a AES DJH tube preamp.

Now as far as what's on my rack that's Mac...C37 preamp. I'm looking for a MC7150 to match it.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing