Sheffield Rarity Going for Big Bucks

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

Micro, I'm not talking about the rarer and more sought after pieces...like your examples.

Instead I'm talking about this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MFSL-UDCD-5...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The guy is IMHO on a different planet with his pricing! Look at his feedback as well, seems like he sells a lot of stuff, BUT look closer and it's the same buyer's over and over!
or this guy's stuff:http://www.ebay.com/itm/STING-Nothi...150250635143?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item22fba2bf87

and there are many others, just check the sold section. ( and see what is NOT sold).

Like I said, there are a lot of jokers hawking some of the least desirable MFSL titles for just crazy prices...over and over they post and with no result ( ok, i guess once in a blue moon, some poor sucker bites, but come on!). Maybe I'm wrong about this, BUT IMO these guys need to get a clue.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
He can ask anything he wants. Just needs to find some sucker to pay it.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
If you can't find the Kodo LP, get the CD; it's one of my references and it will shock you, if your system can handle the big o-Daiko drum. Every time I play it, or anything with drum solo, my son starts crying out of fear.

That's pretty funny. Of course, maybe not for your son. Thanks for the link, ack. I just ordered it. Much appreciated.

Tom

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
That's pretty funny. Of course, maybe not for your son. Thanks for the link, ack. I just ordered it. Much appreciated.

Tom

No problem. Play track 2 first. It's such a pure recording that I play it with the preamp gain at max; seriously.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Eh, I don't know if I'll try full out max on my pre. Not even half way up on Yim Hok Man's "Poet of Chinese Drums" makes it seem as if my walls will crumble to the floor at any given moment. I can't help but blink in fear myself, even though I know what's coming, some of the impact is so fast and authoritative with that selection. I will take you up on starting out with song two though. Thanks again. Looking forward to it. ;)

Tom

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Keep in mind it's also a low-volume recording, so I think you will find yourself cranking it up much higher... Let us know...

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Pikers compared to folks who chase original mono Blue Notes ;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Who has this record and are they worth the $300.00 going rate ? (Flamenco Fever) Inquiring ears want to know....

its worth $300 since they seem to fetch $500+ on ebay. i had serveral copies back in the day, it was regarded then as the best of the M&K next to For Duke and one of the top D2Ds for sound. It's Gitano Flamenco music, lots of foot stomps, gypsy chanting and of course the flamenco guitar. it was recorded at a club in LA in the late seventies. the mics must have been rignt at the wood stage as the foot stomps will challenge the tracking ability of your cartridge and the excusion limits of your woofers.

it has good trade value with some dealers. you could always rip a hires file for your collection and then trade it for a record you really want.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Who has this record and are they worth the $300.00 going rate ? (Flamenco Fever) Inquiring ears want to know....

I do. Very, very good sonics, one of the most ridiculous album covers (love his smile), there are better performances out there. $500 dollars already? Wow.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

The first time I heard this LP was also the first time I heard the Infinity RS 1B and a Krell amp. This was well over 25 years ago and I still remember it. I could have sworn people were stomping around the room I was listening in it sounded so real.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
i had a couple long ago but i sold them. sonically truly one of the most fantastic i've ever heard but not my cup of tea. i felt i wouldn't be playing this once a year even then. the guitars, foot stomping and high pitch singing all combine for the authenticity of flamenco music but i guess i'd much rather listen to flamenco guitars only like carlos montoya. :) the price of this is indeed worth its money, first if you like this kind of music, and second, the value of this just keeps going up through the years.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Full disclosure, one of the FF's on ebay now is mine. I bought it new, and played it once. It is a stupid record. I'm in the process of eliminating some of these 'audiophile spectaculars' that are not musically interesting to me. And i'm not posting this to encourage you to buy it. I am selling it precisely because it has little redeeming musical merit - and want to get full retail. Which is why i didn't offer it here first.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Full disclosure, one of the FF's on ebay now is mine. I bought it new, and played it once. It is a stupid record. I'm in the process of eliminating some of these 'audiophile spectaculars' that are not musically interesting to me. And i'm not posting this to encourage you to buy it. I am selling it precisely because it has little redeeming musical merit - and want to get full retail. Which is why i didn't offer it here first.

the potential for making $500 on dreck like FF is tempting, but you couldnt have paid more than $20 way back then why not just keep it :confused: then again i dont have a copy either for the same reason;) you'll do a lot better than i did, i let them go when they werent worth much.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
the potential for making $500 on dreck like FF is tempting, but you couldnt have paid more than $20 way back then why not just keep it :confused: then again i dont have a copy either for the same reason;) you'll do a lot better than i did, i let them go when they werent worth much.
Several reasons. I don't listen to it, it is dreck (I'm glad you know a little yiddish), third, I have a lot of records to move when I get stuff packed up to go to Austin and figure, I can fund other things for hi-fi. I have quite a few records of this type that I bought back in the day that are just not interesting to me musically, although they may be curiosities or audiophile 'spectaculars.' (I can't count how many of Harry's list i have, but got a lot of 'em, some I will keep).
I also have a substantial collection of car books that are going on the block too, e.g. a pristine inscribed copy of Gerry Rousch's Daytona book - bad, tatty copies go for 300 or 400 bucks. I have a library of books of that type too. I'm pretty much done with Ferraris for a while, and the stuff is just going to sit on a shelf for who? I have a Lambo dealer sign in the garage, what the hell am I going to do with that? I dumped the Lambo back in 2008. And so on.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing