Cartridge advice for SME 312s tonearm

willie garvin

Aug 29, 2010
Hi,

Please can I have some advice/help re cartridge choice for use on an SME 312s tonearm please.

I have a very limited budget of between £400 - £600 only & your suggestions would be more than welcome.

Cheers,

willie g

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Willie-I have the exact same arm as you. I can tell you that the Benz Glider SL sounds great in the arm, but I'm not sure if the currency conversion and what your local prices are will put you in that cartridge. It would have been more helpful and maybe you would have gotten more replies if you would have stated what type of phono stage you have and whether or not you want a MM or MC cartridge.

willie garvin

Aug 29, 2010
Willie-I have the exact same arm as you. I can tell you that the Benz Glider SL sounds great in the arm, but I'm not sure if the currency conversion and what your local prices are will put you in that cartridge. It would have been more helpful and maybe you would have gotten more replies if you would have stated what type of phono stage you have and whether or not you want a MM or MC cartridge.
Hi,

As a relative newcomer to hifi & more so to vinyl it would have been really great if someone had pointed this out to me earlier, as it was a genuine request.

For the time being I have bought a used Ortofon Rondo Bronze with very low hours on it.

Thank you for your reply by the way.

willie g

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Willie-What phono stage do you have? Can you play low output MC cartridges?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing