Too close for comfort

jdza

May 3, 2010
For the first time in weeks I fired up the turntable.,let it play for 30minutes,matched levels with a voltmeter ,put on the same tape and lp and prepared to be depressed by the mediocrity of vinyl.......Err well no.I swear I saw the turntable sticking out its tongue to its neigbour from just across the Swiss border!

The tape was better but it was way too close for comfort. I can buy 10 LPs for every tape and there are lots of them . So what now?. I know..Tweak the tape recorders!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There's a rare bird! She's a beauty!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
For the first time in weeks I fired up the turntable.,let it play for 30minutes,matched levels with a voltmeter ,put on the same tape and lp and prepared to be depressed by the mediocrity of vinyl.......Err well no.I swear I saw the turntable sticking out its tongue to its neigbour from just across the Swiss border!

The tape was better but it was way too close for comfort. I can buy 10 LPs for every tape and there are lots of them . So what now?. I know..Tweak the tape recorders!

I took some heat for telling people exactly what you just said. Even if they get steamed up about it, it's still true though. What's also scary is to record an LP on your Swiss machine and compare that to the tape you have my friend.

John Brooks

Apr 26, 2010
Washington (the state)
Scary? Nada. Musically, it is wonderful to have vinyl and tape be close. And not quite a level playing field for comparison. The Thorens Reference was $10K in 1980, a Studer about $3K. So the vinyl setup (cartridge/arm/TT/phono preamp) would be a $100K playback system today vs. a stock tape machine. Rebuild a Studer with Cardas or Purist wire, extra shielding, bronze flywheels, Stillpoints inside, an audiophile-level tape head amp and the results would likely be a little different.

PS - here are a couple fun links: http://www.thefunkyway.com/gearmus/djgear/decks/ and http://www.aca.gr/turntable_e.htm

jdza

May 3, 2010
Scary? Nada. Musically, it is wonderful to have vinyl and tape be close. And not quite a level playing field for comparison. The Thorens Reference was $10K in 1980, a Studer about $3K. So the vinyl setup (cartridge/arm/TT/phono preamp) would be a $100K playback system today vs. a stock tape machine. Rebuild a Studer with Cardas or Purist wire, extra shielding, bronze flywheels, Stillpoints inside, an audiophile-level tape head amp and the results would likely be a little different.

PS - here are a couple fun links: http://www.thefunkyway.com/gearmus/djgear/decks/ and http://www.aca.gr/turntable_e.htm

I am not saying the vinyl is as good as a first generation copy of the master tape.What I am saying is that considering all the processes vinyl has to go through from the master tape to finally be transcribed by a piece of diamond wiggling in a slab of muck,it is surprising how close it gets to a supposedly first generation copy of that same mastertape.

Yes ,even 30 years on the Thorens Reference remains remarkable. The one currently on Audiogon is worth every cent of its $50k asking price.Listening to the A80 and the Thorens side by side, I am pretty sure I know what the Thorens engineers used as their reference.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing