The Best digital based Reel to Reel Tape Decks?

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Hello all and this if my first post so please be gentle. For those who are using reel to reel tape decks, which of the transistor based 2 channel decks are you most impressed with sound wise? Have you had an opportunity to introduce tube electronics to your tape deck and did that make a major difference? Which reel to reel tapes do you regularly listen to? Thanks so much.

Jazzbo :)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I thought you were talking about the D820 digital tape machines!

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
The best digital based reel to reel tape deck

Hello all. Did not Ampex and Studer make tape decks that are transistor based but said to be outstanding sound wise? I think the early Ampex machines were mostly tube based but said to have excellent sound. I have heard the Nagra's made some great tape decks that can handle 10.5 inch reels. I am trying to get in position to begin purchasing some of the Tape Project pre recorded tapes which I understand produce wonderful sound. Since the Studers and Ampexes are out of reach for me, what else is available that you actually have personal experience with? Thanks much.

jazzbo :)

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Thanks guys I purchased a Tascam 42B tape deck in excellent condition. I've just got to have it changed over from NAB to IEC so that I can enjoy some of the pre-recorded tapes available. Thanks so much.

jazzbo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing