Oznow Stylus Cleaner

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
First of all I want to thank Myles for turning me on to the Onzow stylus cleaner. I bought mine from an Ebay auction. I didn’t realize that the seller lived in Japan, but I should have. I was beginning to think that it had been too long since I won the auction and I should have had the Oznow by now. And then I went to the mailbox and I see a yellow package with Japanese symbols all over it and a custom form that had written in English “Stylus cleaner for my friend Mark.”

I’m just going to come right out and say it, I love this damn thing. And I love it because it works and it’s now another indispensible tool in my analog arsenal. The bad news is that it is now one more step in my ritual of playing LPs. The good news is that it only takes seconds to use.

I’m going to cut right to the chase and tell you what it does for me. The Onzow removes crap from your stylus tip that nothing else I have ever used does. In reality, it is removing stuff that I didn’t even know was there. All you can see is a super tiny speck of black stuff on the Onzow after your lift off your stylus. The musical benefit of using Oznow is that your records take on another level of purity. That’s how I hear it. And no, I don’t have any “proof” other than the residual black specks on top of the Onzow. I don’t have any graphs, charts, measurements, sworn affidavits, or a note from my mother. What I do have is a set of ears that tells me my records sound better if I use Onzow every time before I play an LP. I wouldn’t think of doing otherwise now that I have heard what it does. It’s worth the two seconds it takes to use it. Highly recommended even at 3x times the price of what it sells for.

And if you buy the Oznow instead of the Onzow, it probably just means you bought a Chinese counterfeit and they screwed up the spelling in the translation from Japanese to Chinese.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I use Oznow every two record sides. I also use Magic eraser every 10 records or so and finish that clean with Oznow. Great product !

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
First of all I want to thank Myles for turning me on to the Onzow stylus cleaner. I bought mine from an Ebay auction. I didn’t realize that the seller lived in Japan, but I should have. I was beginning to think that it had been too long since I won the auction and I should have had the Oznow by now. And then I went to the mailbox and I see a yellow package with Japanese symbols all over it and a custom form that had written in English “Stylus cleaner for my friend Mark.”

I’m just going to come right out and say it, I love this damn thing. And I love it because it works and it’s now another indispensible tool in my analog arsenal. The bad news is that it is now one more step in my ritual of playing LPs. The good news is that it only takes seconds to use.

I’m going to cut right to the chase and tell you what it does for me. The Onzow removes crap from your stylus tip that nothing else I have ever used does. In reality, it is removing stuff that I didn’t even know was there. All you can see is a super tiny speck of black stuff on the Onzow after your lift off your stylus. The musical benefit of using Oznow is that your records take on another level of purity. That’s how I hear it. And no, I don’t have any “proof” other than the residual black specks on top of the Onzow. I don’t have any graphs, charts, measurements, sworn affidavits, or a note from my mother. What I do have is a set of ears that tells me my records sound better if I use Onzow every time before I play an LP. I wouldn’t think of doing otherwise now that I have heard what it does. It’s worth the two seconds it takes to use it. Highly recommended even at 3x times the price of what it sells for.

And if you buy the Oznow instead of the Onzow, it probably just means you bought a Chinese counterfeit and they screwed up the spelling in the translation from Japanese to Chinese.

Glad everyone here (and another website) liked the Oznow!

And the regular use may extend a cartridge's lifetime.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I have had one for years. One still will need a brush and/or magic eraser to use on occasion, I use all three. I think dropping the needle on magic eraser does about the same thing, maybe better.

The Onzwhateveryoucallit are easy to wash with soap and water/dry.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Been using one for years myself....a truly indispensible tool. Just run it through some tepid tapwater to clean.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Another kudo for the Onzow.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Shouldn't it correctly be ONZOW? The thread title is Oznow, and there have been a few kudos for Oznow. Mine is in a green case, but the ones I see on eBay are in white cases.

My first one was green....the one I have now is like grey.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Mine is green also - an Onzow that I paid $70 for years ago when it was only retail from Chad or Music Direct. However, the question is why do you have a replacement? They last forever - I've probably played over 10,000 sides, using it before every play. And it just cleans with soap and water. Dry it and it is like new.

Larry

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Mine is green also - an Onzow that I paid $70 for years ago when it was only retail from Chad or Music Direct. However, the question is why do you have a replacement? They last forever - I've probably played over 10,000 sides, using it before every play. And it just cleans with soap and water. Dry it and it is like new.

Larry

I sold it to a friend who really wanted it and we bartered for something else. Bought another 2 weeks later for less than half what they retail for.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm not so sure they last a lifetime. I have had one for over 3 years and clean it regularly. I do see that the surface has micro cut marks from the stylus that do not go away with washing. Perhaps it doesn't make a difference ?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm not so sure they last a lifetime. I have had one for over 3 years and clean it regularly. I do see that the surface has micro cut marks from the stylus that do not go away with washing. Perhaps it doesn't make a difference ?

I've noticed that as well, but I don't think it makes a difference. They aren't expensive, so changing them out every once in a while if it makes you feel better might not be a bad idea. You'll get peace of mind anyway.

Members online

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing