Plants as difusion? If so any suggestions?

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
I have a need for some diffusion in the front part of the room. I have seen plants/trees used in some environments and wondered if this would be a viable option? Are they really effective versus a dedicated diffusion panel?

I have a challenging environment which limits mounting panels directly on the front walls.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have a need for some diffusion in the front part of the room. I have seen plants/trees used in some environments and wondered if this would be a viable option? Are they really effective versus a dedicated diffusion panel?

I have a challenging environment which limits mounting panels directly on the front walls.

Thanks in advance for your time!

we do see one heck of a lot of plants at CES, RMAF etc but you get my drift;). Eddie, one of the best rooms I have ever heard is in a converted garage with plants on the front and side walls.All analog, Sirius lll, all Aesthetix front end and CAT TOL amps. No other treatment except for carpet on the floor and plants as stated

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
we do see one heck of a lot of plants at CES, RMAF etc but you get my drift;). Eddie, one of the best rooms I have ever heard is in a converted garage with plants on the front and side walls.All analog, Sirius lll, all Aesthetix front end and CAT TOL amps. No other treatment except for carpet on the floor and plants as stated

Thanks Steve! Good to know... how are you settling in here's in Sunny So. Cal?

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
View attachment 4975 Plants work well for me. As long as you pick plants that can handle the light conditions in your room.

Audioarcher.... love the look! I was actually leaning more towards the non-living/low to no maintenance type....

Anyone think that the synthetic materials makes a difference?

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
So far a tie between Ferns and Ficus...... maybe a combo of both to give me the analog, solid bass and airy sound I'm hoping for!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I hear medical cannabis is an excellent diffuser...one needs to check on their applicable state
Laws though...":p

Maybe a nice profit center for audio related expenses as well. I hear opium poppies are especially good diffusors.

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
Ok folks.... here's what I ended up with..... honestly don't know that name of it as the price tag just said "Tropical Asst. Plant". Got it at Home Despot. Ended up with a "Live" versus "Memorex" plant.

I have to say it made a positive difference to the listening experience. Seemed to have helped with sound staging, better "perceived" placement of instruments and vocals. Also able to hear more micro dynamics.

Or...... maybe it's just one of those instances where you "think" you're really hearing a difference.

Either way... I like it!

7825858938_f1980e1581_z.jpg

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
Good to know..... I've had issues with spider mites with some of my outdoor plants.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing