Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
My suggestion is to try the Sourceforge decoder. It's newer, and has largely supplanted the foo_input_sacd plug-in. It works well, and is highly recommended by folks who have used it.

Tom,
Thanks! And I additionally told Mark to delete/uninstall the DIFF decoder; it might still be intercepting his DIFF path and converting to 88k PCM.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Ted, I don't PM anymore; it cuts the flow of my mind as I have to delete PMs first to make room.

* All I simply want to know is what I already asked Bruce.

By the way Ted, the 24/96 remasters, they are on which medium?

I just want the direct answer; what is best, and what it looks like (with some picture perhaps).
Is it a download, or is it an actual remastered medium already accessible to the general public?
The more precision the faster I'm out of here. :b

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---Bruce,

In your knowledge, what is the very Best Music Recording (medium, or hi res download)
for Jethro Tull - Aqualung & Thick as a Brick albums?

Greatly appreciated,
Bob

-----Obviously I was strictly asking to that single man above. :b

Not sure you'll get a great deal of walk-in traffic on that question in this completely unrelated thread. Bruce posted, but others may have their take. I'd post a separate thread so folks can see the titles. Me, the latest 24/96 remasters are pretty well done.

-----Wasn't looking for traffic, and wasn't looking for disturbing anyone either. Sorry.

(you don't really care that this is a Mytek thread do you?) Rapid share is not an SACD download site, per se. It is a general file sharing site. Be very careful. Pirated materials on there are both illegal and often full of viruses.

-----Tough! ;)

Bob, no problem. :) I just didn't realize both questions were so directed to Bruce only; I assumed you'd have PM'd him if you didn't want others to reply. All is well...

And yes, Rapid Share can be a decent file sharing site, but it can also be a very dangerous place. Rip your own SACDs (PM me for my guide :) ) and you won't have to go to those sites for your copies. The mojave SACD-R cannot be extracted cuz its a home made authored SACD (sourced from the bonus 40th anniv DVD, not DVD-A), not scarletbook. Beware.

-----Thank you; all is good. :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I got rid of the DSFF plugin for Foobar and it dropped the sampling rate down to 44.1 from 88.2. The toolbar does now show the kpbs rate where before it showed a ?. Still no DSD though.

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
And make sure you are using the high bandwidth USB 2.0 port on the Mytek, not the 1.0 one. I know, stupid question but sometimes these things end up being a "doh"! Happens to me all the time. :)

Edit: he has the right one, damn! I was hoping it was an easy fix.

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
This is why I've never liked Foobar... too much hassle. If you're on PC, try the HQPlayer demo. It won't cost you anything.

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
This is why I've never liked Foobar... too much hassle. If you're on PC, try the HQPlayer demo. It won't cost you anything.

Agreed. The DSD128 upsampler is very good. And Miska (Jussi) is great at following up questions, etc.

J River is also very very good, and has a ridiculous number of options and features. It's tagging is the best, with great tools, wizards and user defined groups, etc.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Does anyone really have step-by-step instructions for making Foobar playback DSD files over the Mytek? I am so close. Foobar is now recognizing the files as DSD and the tool bar now reads:

DSD64|5645kbps|2822400 Hz|stereo

mep

Apr 20, 2010
front of mytek.jpg Well, well. The Mytek now says DSD on the display and music is playing through Foobar. However, I thought when the the display read "DSD" that the meters were supposed to shut off. My meters are still working even though the display reads DSD.

This is a horrible picture due to the flash and the fact that I took it, but you can see a blurry 'DSD' on the display and you can see some blurry meters light which shouldn't be lit when DSD is displayed.

Last edited:

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
Mark, as I showed on the menu workflow diagram on page 2, with the latest firmware (1.6x+) the leds are active even when playing DSD. They may peak into the red a bit, but that's mainly because DSD can do +3db without actually clipping levels (over-simplified answer)..

Anyway, congrats!!!! :) What did you do that put you "over the top" as it were...?

Ogrady

Feb 24, 2011
Vancouver Island
From what I remember about my Mytek unit Bruce, (Owned since October of last year), 2 weeks of 24/7 burn in was not enough.
If I remember correctly there is one more 'opening up' event to occur.

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
From what I remember about my Mytek unit Bruce, (Owned since October of last year), 2 weeks of 24/7 burn in was not enough.
If I remember correctly there is one more 'opening up' event to occur.

Yeah, 600+ hours worth. I was laughed at on the other forums until folks like Srajan (6moons) and others concurred...they just hadn't owned it long enough to believe it.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mark, as I showed on the menu workflow diagram on page 2, with the latest firmware (1.6x+) the leds are active even when playing DSD. They may peak into the red a bit, but that's mainly because DSD can do +3db without actually clipping levels (over-simplified answer)..

Anyway, congrats!!!! :) What did you do that put you "over the top" as it were...?

It was not only loading the foo_input_sacd-060 file into Foobar, it was opening up the file and executing the file on the computer. The manual says when the DSD is lit, the meters won't work so it surprises me that they are lit.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Even with RB files, the Mytek sounds incredible. I talked before about the amount of energy it throws into your room. The bass from the Mytek is incredible. It's like it adds another 1.5 octaves of bass to your system. You just have to hear it to understand assuming you have a full range system. Listening to every digital file I have has been a revelation. This is beyond night and day differences here. I am blown away at how good (and how much better) digital sounds with the Mytek in the system.

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
It was not only loading the foo_input_sacd-060 file into Foobar, it was opening up the file and executing the file on the computer. The manual says when the DSD is lit, the meters won't work so it surprises me that they are lit.

As stated earlier, that manual is dated for firmware 1.42. Since then (and we've talked about it a lot on the CA Mytek thread) the leds display for DSD too. I assume you are at firmware 1.61-1.63 or thereabouts..

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have the newest firmware and I missed your earlier statement that the leds still work when DSD is displayed. I think it is working correctly now since I have music and the Mytek is displaying DSD. I appreciate everyone's help. This really should be easier though. Digital people complain about the problems with setting up analog! Setting up complex digital systems will make you pull you hair out.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing