Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC

firedog

Mar 21, 2011
How it really works as a preamp? (I was not considering that feature and looks tempting), did you compare it wth some other unit?

It has a volume control that can be engaged or disengaged (DAC only mode); you can use either digital or analog attenuation. The "preamp" model also has one set of RCA analogue inputs so it can be used to input an analogue source.

I listened to the PS Audio PWD and the M2Tech Young. Thought the Mytek was at least as good as those two. The PWD has some great features if you use it with the Bridge. But the Mytek also does DSD and is less than half the price of the PWD.

I figured worst case scenario: DACs are rapidly improving-better and better ones are showing up at lower price points all the time. So I can blow everything now on a DAC I can't really afford, or spend a lot less money now and get something almost as good; in a few years if the Mytek has been seriously overshadowed, I can use the money I saved and get an even better DAC, probably for way less than what I would pay today.

Last edited:

firedog

Mar 21, 2011
Mine just showed up yesterday and I think it is a game changer. In this day and age of some DACs still unable to pass 24/192 files from your computer via USB, now we have a super-reasonably priced
DAC that does that and plays DSD files as well. And none of that would matter if it doesn’t sound really good, but it does. In fact, I think it sounds great.

Mine is the mastering version and the output has to be fairly high because I have to back off the volume control from the normal level I would listen to with the E-MU 0404. I thought the Mytek had something to prove to me because I do feel that the 0404 is a damn good DAC. And when you consider its cost, it’s really a damn good DAC. The Mytek and 0404 aren’t even in the same zip code.

The Mytek throws a much bigger soundstage and it just brings music to life in a way that eludes the 0404. For the first time last night, I actually enjoyed listening to my 24 bit USB Flac files from my Beatles little green apple.

The amount of energy the Mytek will put into your room (assuming you have a big-boy stereo system) is high. It may pressurize your room in a way you haven’t heard nor felt before. This thing has some serious swagger.

The pictures of the Mytek are deceiving because it looks much bigger in the pictures. This thing is dinky, but the sound that comes out of it would make you think it is coming out of 4 boxes with two of the four being huge power supplies. But nope, it’s all coming from this very small, diminutive little box. I would be lying if I told you that I wasn’t blown away last night by how good this thing sounds.

And I’m still working some kinks out. I know the non-DSD side lash-up is correct. Whatever Foobar says the file is (44.1, 88, 96, 192) is what the Mytek says it is. I need to read the ‘manual’ and figure out how to make the display stay lit. I also need to figure out the DSD side. When playing DSD files from my external hard drive, the Mytek doesn’t show ‘DSD’ on the display. It just shows ’88.’

If the Mytek gets any better, it would be scary. Once I get the DSD and the display lined out, the next step will be to switch over to XLR cables from the RCAs.

Hi-

Go to the Mytek download page: http://mytekdigital.com/download_library/index.htm
Download the driver package: http://mytekdigital.com/download_li...tware_install_package_current_May_30_2012.zip
There's a pdf inside with step by step instructions for how to set up your software player to run the Mytek and its drivers so that you get DSD playback.
BTW,most of us have found that the Mytek sounds much better after extensive use of several hundred hours.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Firedog-Thanks. I have already been there and downloaded the driver package. I already had the plug-in installed for Foobar to play DSD files. I assume since Foobar is pulling the DSD files from my hard drive and displaying that it is playing back DSD files that it is set up correctly. I also have to assume that it is sending the DSD files correctly to the Mytek. That is where my confidence ends.

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
DSD will be playing natively when the front panel says "DSD". Have you tried ASIO, or are you using DoP (USB)? Foobar plug-in may require a reboot? As an aside, have you tried J River?

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
It has a volume control that can be engaged or disengaged (DAC only mode); you can use either digital or analog attenuation. The "preamp" model also has one set of RCA analogue inputs so it can be used to input an analogue source.

I listened to the PS Audio PWD and the M2Tech Young. Thought the Mytek was at least as good as those two. The PWD has some great features if you use it with the Bridge. But the Mytek also does DSD and is less than half the price of the PWD.

I figured worst case scenario: DACs are rapidly improving-better and better ones are showing up at lower price points all the time. So I can blow everything now on a DAC I can't really afford, or spend a lot less money now and get something almost as good; in a few years if the Mytek has been seriously overshadowed, I can use the money I saved and get an even better DAC, probably for way less than what I would pay today.

Thanks firedog, I am still in route to get one.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
DSD will be playing natively when the front panel says "DSD". Have you tried ASIO, or are you using DoP (USB)? Foobar plug-in may require a reboot? As an aside, have you tried J River?
I am using USB to get the data to the Mytek.

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
Well, as per your PM to me says, you are using ASIO as well. That is a proven winner (Foobar with ASIO) for DSD, so still not sure what the hiccup is. I use J River (on Windows), A+ (on Mac) and Linux MPD (Auraliti PK90USB) on Linux, but no longer a big Foobar user. Firedog, any ideas?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I think the problem is with how Foobar is setup. The Mytek is simply playing back what it is fed via Foobar. When playing back a DSD file, the toolbar at the bottom of Foobar says:

DSD|?kbps|88.200Hz|stereo

And I think that is the problem. The Mytek also shows 88.2 on the display because that is the signal it is getting fed. The DSD plug in on the Foobar tools menu shows DSDIFF Decoder ver 1.4. The output menu on Foobar shows: Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC ASIO

I'm pretty sure that Foobar should be displaying something besides 88.200Hz when playing back DSD files.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Bruce,

In your knowledge, what is the very Best Music Recording (medium, or hi res download)
for Jethro Tull - Aqualung & Thick as a Brick albums?

Greatly appreciated,
Bob

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I downloaded the SACD tool plugin for Foobar and that didn't change anything either.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
---Bruce,

In your knowledge, what is the very Best Music Recording (medium, or hi res download)

Greatly appreciated,
Bob

The best I've heard is the 200gr. 45rpm vinyl that I've ripped. Otherwise, the closest you get is what is on the DVD's

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
---Bruce,

Greatly appreciated,
Bob

Not sure you'll get a great deal of walk-in traffic on that question in this completely unrelated thread. Bruce posted, but others may have their take. I'd post a separate thread so folks can see the titles. Me, the latest 24/96 remasters are pretty well done.

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
I downloaded the SACD tool plugin for Foobar and that didn't change anything either.

Assuming its the one Tom linked to, I would then think it's somewhere in the foobar add-ons, like an upsampler or something in its preferences that is forcing 88k.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The best I've heard is the 200gr. 45rpm vinyl that I've ripped. Otherwise, the closest you get is what is on the DVD's

-----You must be talking about 'Aqualung' the four (4) 200gr 45rpm LPs right?

And how did you rip them? ...Multichannel DSD (SACD)?
And when you say 'DVD', do you mean DVD-Audio?

What do you know about Rapid Share, the hi res SACD download program?
=> http://rapidshare.com/#!download|601p2|2578115947|19_12_11_JT_A_2011_SiSO.txt|5|0|0

And here: http://mojaveproductions.blog.com/2011/12/23/jethro-tull-aqualung-40th-anniversary-new-mixes-sacd-r/

--- aqualungfolder.jpg

Last edited:

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
(you don't really care that this is a Mytek thread do you?) Rapid share is not an SACD download site, per se. It is a general file sharing site. Be very careful. Pirated materials on there are both illegal and often full of viruses.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
(you don't really care that this is a Mytek thread do you?) Rapid share is not an SACD download site, per se. It is a general file sharing site. Be very careful. Pirated materials on there are both illegal and often full of viruses.

-----If it is a major problem to you, Ted, it will be my pleasure to delete my few (two short) posts addressed to Bruce.

Know this: It is not my habit to be a little 'off' in life sometimes, and I truly wanted to ask Bruce about it.

Regards,
Bob

P.S. TY about the info regarding 'pirating' and 'illegal' and 'viruses'.
Do I care? Yes I do.

Last edited:

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
No, this one:foo_input_sacd-0.5.3-ASIOproxyinstall

My suggestion is to try the Sourceforge decoder. It's newer, and has largely supplanted the foo_input_sacd plug-in. It works well, and is highly recommended by folks who have used it.

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
Bob, no problem. :) I just didn't realize both questions were so directed to Bruce only; I assumed you'd have PM'd him if you didn't want others to reply. All is well...

And yes, Rapid Share can be a decent file sharing site, but it can also be a very dangerous place. Rip your own SACDs (PM me for my guide :) ) and you won't have to go to those sites for your copies. The mojave SACD-R cannot be extracted cuz its a home made authored SACD (sourced from the bonus 40th anniv DVD, not DVD-A), not scarletbook. Beware.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing