Is there a best Cassette Deck?

ac427

Oct 23, 2012
The Aiwa XK-S7000 and 9000 are good. They even D/A convertors with optical in !

Here is a nice Aiwa AD-F990

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
This may not belong here but anyone remember the Sony Walkman Pro? Portable audio pushed to the extreme.

Remember it? I still have my Walkman Pro!

Getting back to the subject at hand, ISTR Nakamichi's CR7E (that was the European model number, might be different on this side of the pond) having a slight edge in SQ terms, perhaps because it eschewed the Dragon's cool auto-reverse feature.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
I probably am not as discriminating as most here, but my Nakamichi DR 10 seems to sound beautiful, to my ears anyway.

I bought it back around 1999 I think, and it is still low mileage, although that is changing. Heck, my BX 125 sounds good too.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Oct 15, 2012

The Pioneer CT-S709 (first cousin of the Elite CT-93) from the early ’90s, was the slickest and best cassette deck I ever owned. Virtually dead-silent full logic control, motorized door, full auto calibration, and heavy-duty chassis with a honeycomb bottom plate. The CT-93 at least was regarded in some circles as a “Dragon Slayer.” My only disappointment was that I bought it (used) at the end of the cassette era, so I didn’t get as much use out of it as I would have liked.

IIR Pioneer was a cutting edge developer in cassette technology, at least near the end. I recall their last decks featured some kind of digital processing. I forget for what exactly, probably related to noise reduction.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

gamve

Feb 9, 2013
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
This one had to go also View attachment 5364

I think this one wins as the best cassette deck ever made but only a 1000 or so were ever made. Have you seen what a good one sells for now?
You could buy a couple of good condition A80RC's for the same sort of money!!
I have had (still have) shitloads of cassette decks. My favourites are the Nackamichi ZX9, CR7A, 682ZX 1000 & 700 tritracers, Aiwa XKS-9000,
Tandberg 440A and assorted portables. My love of tape started in my teens and that was a while ago :)

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
The machine that started it all for me :
NAKAMICHI1-600II.jpg

Adjustable bias, first deck with 120khz bias and fantastic heads. I still have it, did my first live recording with it.
For Sound quality - the 700zxe/zxl were the ones to beat (way better than the 1000, imho) , at a lower price the LX-5 was really linear with tons of headroom for metal tape.
my .02

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland

The CT-93 at least was regarded in some circles as a “Dragon Slayer.” My only disappointment was that I bought it (used) at the end of the cassette era, so I didn’t get as much use out of it as I would have liked.

IIR Pioneer was a cutting edge developer in cassette technology, at least near the end. I recall their last decks featured some kind of digital processing. I forget for what exactly, probably related to noise reduction.

Indeed: I still own a CT95, which was the absolute top gear and fantastic along with the relevant D7 DAT, but they both gather dust..:(

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Indeed: I still own a CT95, which was the absolute top gear and fantastic along with the relevant D7 DAT, but they both gather dust..:(

Interesting thread here.

I think there is been a minor resurgence with cassette tapes going on. In the last six months I'll bet I've acquired 150 new tapes. Tapes manufactured/recorded 2012 or later. Lots of Indie labels are making tapes rather than CDr's.

Makes me glad I sprung for that NAK DR10 back in '99.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I owned at least four Nakamichi decks, neither at the level of a 1000 or Dragon, all were fine performers but unable to produce recorded cassettes that could sound well in other decks except Nakamichi ones, this one was my favorite

View attachment 5036 :

Just bought a Dragon, it is in another league!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I just had to go to ebay to look...if you want one...

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010

I owned one of these, and to many it was considered well into the entry of highest circles when it came to cassette decks. This was the best that Technics ever made! Sold it unfortunately as I shifted country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6HmM0WFRfU

jdza

May 3, 2010
The latest Hi Fi News has a well written piece on vintage cassette decks. The author seems to very knowledgable. Interesting that his recommendations as to the best sounding machines ever made are all mentioned in this thread but it is not the ones most posters seem to enthuse about.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

I owned one of these, and to many it was considered well into the entry of highest circles when it came to cassette decks. This was the best that Technics ever made! Sold it unfortunately as I shifted country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6HmM0WFRfU

That sounds great even over my crappy computer speakers. I love the way that cassette tape looked like two miniature metal reels.

vess

Nov 4, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
www.audio-bg.com
Hi, I checked almost all of the big guns - Studer A721 is best by far. Tandberg 3014 comes second, Dragon third.

Vess

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing