Rockport Technologies Factory Tour

David

Aug 11, 2012
Thanks Jeff,

it's very interesting.
It seems AVIORs are speakers to beat in their price ...

Just 1 or 2 questions maybe :

Rockport are often reviewed with big Gryphon or big Vitus Signature / Masterpiece series ...
Could you give us your opinion on how the sound could be with other electronics ?
Particularly with new models like Avior / Alya / or Chara (Chara which are not mentionned in your factory tour)
I, and maybe other persons i think, would be intesrested to know what would be the sound differences with Rockport matched with electronics like VTL MB 450 III / Ypsilon Aelius / Aesthetix Atlas stereo Signature or monos / Vitus RS100, etc ?...

have you tried tubed electronics with Rockport ... with bass as good as with Solid State amplifiers ?

All the best

David

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Jeff:

That report was great! As an Aquila owner I have a soft spot for Andy and RT. Bummed to find out the Aquila is no more. In my last conversation with Andy he suggested that the Avior came extremely close to the Aquila. Considering the difference in price and that he didn't plan on an Aquila 2, I knew the writing was on the wall. I'm not sure I've ever seen the Altair in black. It makes me want to own a pair even more now. His new facility looks amazing.

Ken Golden

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff!

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Great stuff, Jeff.

Regarding David's question I can tell you that the best sound I ever have heard at any shows was the Rockport Altair with full series 7- Soulution electronics. I think the Rockports sound even better with something more neutral, faster and dynamic than the Gryphon. The Gryphon elecronics are great by all means but I think the sound of Soulution, Spectral, Goldmund etc suites the Rockports better. Jeff used Behold amplifier with the Arrakis if I am not mistaken. That would also be a match similar to what I describe that I prefer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHcp5iBCyKA

Thanks,
Roysen

Last edited:

David

Aug 11, 2012
Great stuff, Jeff.

Regarding David's question I can tell you that the best sound I ever have heard at any shows was the Rockport Altair with full series 7- Soulution electronics. I think the Rockports sound even better with something more neutral, faster and dynamic than the Gryphon. The Gryphon elecronics are great by all means but I think the sound of Soulution, Spectral, Soulution etc suites the Rockports better. Jeff used Behold amplifier with the Arrakis if I am not mistaken. That would also be a match similar to what I describe that I prefer.

Thanks,
Roysen

Hi Roysen,

it sounds very good just by this link and my PC !!!

have you listen with Vitus ? Would it be enough neutral / fast / dynamic ?

Soulution are much more expensive than what I can ... I'm looking for what could be the good choice in less expensive electronics

David

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Great tour.

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
I can never say it enough, visiting Andy at his shop was one of the highlights of my audiophile life. He is so kind and smart. A true original. If you ever have the opportunity to pay him a visit in his shop, do not miss it. Seeing the process he goes through to build a speaker is extremely impressive. Puts most other companies to shame.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff, Jeff.

Regarding David's question I can tell you that the best sound I ever have heard at any shows was the Rockport Altair with full series 7- Soulution electronics. I think the Rockports sound even better with something more neutral, faster and dynamic than the Gryphon. The Gryphon elecronics are great by all means but I think the sound of Soulution, Spectral, Soulution etc suites the Rockports better. Jeff used Behold amplifier with the Arrakis if I am not mistaken. That would also be a match similar to what I describe that I prefer.

Thanks,
Roysen

The recording of this system is insanely good if it was actually of the system itself. The track is Philip Glass, Koyaanisqatsi. Wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPKG57NHJic&feature=related

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great if you can take the music. Have had the album for ages and have to be in the right mood to listen to it!

The clarity and definition are remarkable...i am impressed...and it is ridiculous given that it is a recording of a room...

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Hi Roysen,

Soulution are much more expensive than what I can ... I'm looking for what could be the good choice in less expensive electronics

David

Hi David.

I was present in that room during that demonstration and the sound was to my ears unbeleivable. I don't know Vitus, but Soulution is introducing a more affordable 5-series of electronics below the reference 7-series. It could be a great alternative.

Thanks,
Roysen

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
Hi Roysen,

David

I've heard both; Vitus sound is warm and dense, Soulution sound is neutral and on the cold side.
A Soulution amp with for example a FMA preamp is a very good combination.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I've heard both; Vitus sound is warm and dense, Soulution sound is neutral and on the cold side.
A Soulution amp with for example a FMA preamp is a very good combination.

Soulution paired with Rockport sounds very good too.

Thanks,
Roysen

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great article. The Rockport room is impressive. I could see that the lateral walls are almost completely covered with RPG BAD panels. Does any member have experience with these panels? One of the good things of them is that they are only 4" thick.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing