A rare review or a rare misstep?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Really, the way TAS has been going in the last year it's very hard for me to put much creedence in any of their published opinions.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Unfair jab at Polk, which has both exhibited at RAMF (with the designer present) and had products favorably reviewed in Stereophile, with comments about how listening tests affected the final speaker design.

Only recently have Polk products had any real high-end aspirations despite their advertising claims to the contrary. Yet I don't know of any high-end dealer that stocks Polk? Perhaps others do.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Doesn't Vlad design entirely based on his proprietary algorithm? That isn't to say he doesn't listen to it, but I'm not sure what part, if any, listening has to his design process.

That algorithm musta really changed :) The sound of his early products don't bear any resemblance to his newest gear.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Really, the way TAS has been going in the last year it's very hard for me to put much creedence in any of their published opinions.

But he had an ARC Dac 7 there for comparison.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
That algorithm musta really changed :) The sound of his early products don't bear any resemblance to his newest gear.

Dunno about the latest line stage and SET amp, cause i haven't heard them. I thought the ML2 (original version, which is the one I have) was and is still very musical, but as to the rest, what's the nature of the change? (I know the all tube line stage was more romantic than the hybrid one I am using and never listened to his big hybrid amps)....
PS you can PM me, if you don't want to derail the thread, I'm just curious about your comment Myles....

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Since when are those two companies high-end? And you know that the reason they succeeded has nothing to do with their sound, but marketing. The people who bought their product couldn't tell a speaker from a wall outlet.

And let's look at Harman who's put big bucks into their testing program, as delineated here by Amir and Sean Olive. Agree with their methodology and/or results or not, this is the way things have to go. Another example is Transparent Audio who had their listening room custom designed.

All true..but Stereophile has raved about several Polk speakers..even in the Sept. 2012 issue...

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Unfair jab at Polk, which has both exhibited at RAMF (with the designer present) and had products favorably reviewed in Stereophile, with comments about how listening tests affected the final speaker design.

You are correct...with a rave about their most recent book shelf speaker in the Sept Stereophile.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
hi

Why is it that a manufacturer can't make a step back in the honest opinion of a reviewer? Besides, are the manufacturers infallible? Don't they, like anybody on this planet make mistakes? Come on people!!

Another thing is the tendency to take jabs at mid-fi manufacturers, this is unfair. When they concentrate on our market they are perfectly capable of producing great products that would outshine and outperform many purely High End endeavors. Remember they have the muscles and often their R&D budget surpass likely any High End companies yearly revenues .. Let's take the example of Pioneer: mass market and Sony: even more mass Market .. Well Pioneer produces TAD , actually TAD is entirely owned by Pioneer .. Does anyone take TAD as second grade not High End? Really??? TAD??? Meanwhile it seems that SONY has produced some currently available serious and high Performance Speakers and so has the normal Pioneer and I would not dismiss the High End Efforts of companies like Denon ... There are several other examples.. As for Polk , have not heard anything from them for a long time and last I heard one .. The least said ... :)

End of OT

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
hi

Why is it that a manufacturer can't make a step back in the honest opinion of a reviewer? Besides, are the manufacturers infallible? Don't they, like anybody on this planet make mistakes? Come on people!!

Another thing is the tendency to take jabs and mid-fi manufacturers and this is unfair. If they concentrate on our market they are perfectly capable of producing great products that will outshine and outperform many purely High End endeavors. Remember they have the muscles and often their R&D budget surpass likely any High End companies yearly revenues .. Le;s take the example of Pioneer, mass market and Sony even more mass Market .. Well Pioneer produces TAD , actually TAD is Pioneer .. Does anyone take TAD as second grade not High End? Really??? TAD??? Meanwhile it seems that SONY has produced some currently available serious and high Performance Speakers and so has the normal Pioneer and I would not dismiss the High End Efforts of companies like Denon ... There are several other examples.. As for Polk , have not heard anything from them for a long time and last I heard one .. The least said ... :)

End of OT

Excellent points.

As I noted before, it certainly IS possible for the exalted companies in our hobby to screw up..no doubt. However I guess the reason there are doubts about this review
is the source...TAS has had a credibility issue lately and they get taken to task..sometime unfairly. Alan Taffel is a good writer, and knows his stuff..but some of his
reviews can be rather odd. Not all, just some.

Anyway, my personal experience with ARC is that the products coming out of the factory over the past few years have been stellar. I have NOT heard the DAC 8 but I did
hear the CD player, and it was excellent.

I will have to make it a point to hear the DAC8 soon if a local dealer has one.

Now as far as attacking "MidFi", (a rather unfortunate term) I agree. There are some SUPERB products from Paradigm, Parasound,AudioLab Denon, NAD, Marantz (non Reference Series),
Boston Acoustics, etc etc etc that would surprise many here.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Woah, hold on a second....why are you assuming that Taffel's call
is accurate?

What if HE is guilty of a misstep in his review process?

I think Andre is right on the mark here with his comments. Who says Alan got it right in his TAS review?? So he didn’t like the DAC8 - big deal. Is that grounds to assume Alan is right when two other reviews of the DAC 8 were rather glowing and one of the reviewers bought the DAC 8? Is that grounds to accuse ARC of not even listening to the DAC 8 before they released it to the public because a TAS reviewer didn’t like it? Talk about a leap of faith…

Frankly, I’m amazed at some of the comments and the conclusions that have been jumped to here. Alan is being held up like he is the beacon of honesty and hope for reviewers with integrity. Alan is assumed to be correct and ARC is accused of releasing a product without even listening to it first. I find this to be a false adoration of a reviewer and a lynching of ARC at the same time by someone who doesn’t know if Alan is ‘right’ and nor has he one iota of proof that ARC would have released the DAC 8 without ever listening to it first. To compound the delusion, the person who made these remarks admits he has never heard the DAC 8 and therefore has no idea how it sounds. This would have all made more sense if the person in question had heard the DAC 8 in their system and agreed with the TAS review. But that is simply not the case.

And somehow I’m the bad guy because I asked the question that begged to be asked: Do you really think that ARC would release a product to the marketplace without listening to it first? And my question was deleted from the thread. Wow. Over and out.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I'll give you one... Dan Lavry does not have a listening room. He has a workbench and he told me first hand he relies mainly on feedback from the field on what his units sound like.

No wonder I hate his DACs.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Out of curiosity, i bought a download of the issue and read the review. The reviewer's criticisms of the unit don't seem to fall into the subjective 'didn't like the flavor of the sound' camp; he seemed very focused on the 'noise floor,' for lack of a better word, and the inability of the newer unit to discern musical nuances that were apparent using the predecessor unit.
Equally puzzling, the unit apparently was not defective. (Yes, I know, in the dark old days, a potentially bad review could lead the manufacturer to claim that they were already in the process of the update to correct the problem).

I have no dog in this fire, to mix a metaphor. I respect ARC, and have owned their equipment (mostly a long time ago); I also don't know enough about the reviewer or how he evaluated the piece to know what to make of this. I suppose this might be an invitation for the 'objectivists' to weigh in, and point out the failings of subjective reviews. I honestly don't know what to make of this.
I do still read the magazines, not as avidly as I once did- and there was always a way of reading between the lines (someone else in this thread already brought that out- a piece of equipment can be panned by mild praise, rather than outright negatives). But, I gather this is unusual- not many negative reviews these days in general?

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I think Andre is right on the mark here with his comments. Who says Alan got it right in his TAS review?? So he didn’t like the DAC8 - big deal. Is that grounds to assume Alan is right when two other reviews of the DAC 8 were rather glowing and one of the reviewers bought the DAC 8? Is that grounds to accuse ARC of not even listening to the DAC 8 before they released it to the public because a TAS reviewer didn’t like it? Talk about a leap of faith…

Frankly, I’m amazed at some of the comments and the conclusions that have been jumped to here. Alan is being held up like he is the beacon of honesty and hope for reviewers with integrity. Alan is assumed to be correct and ARC is accused of releasing a product without even listening to it first. I find this to be a false adoration of a reviewer and a lynching of ARC at the same time by someone who doesn’t know if Alan is ‘right’ and nor has he one iota of proof that ARC would have released the DAC 8 without ever listening to it first. To compound the delusion, the person who made these remarks admits he has never heard the DAC 8 and therefore has no idea how it sounds. This would have all made more sense if the person in question had heard the DAC 8 in their system and agreed with the TAS review. But that is simply not the case.

And somehow I’m the bad guy because I asked the question that begged to be asked: Do you really think that ARC would release a product to the marketplace without listening to it first? And my question was deleted from the thread. Wow. Over and out.

mep, I don't think it is possible to sum up a reasonable counterpoint to the OP any better than you just did.

Spot on.

One thing that also was not brought up is...do we take this as an outright pan...or is this reviewer saying he PREFERS the DAC7 to the DAC8?

I still have not gotten my issue. I think the last issue I received was in June.

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Out of curiosity, i bought a download of the issue and read the review. The reviewer's criticisms of the unit don't seem to fall into the subjective 'didn't like the flavor of the sound' camp; he seemed very focused on the 'noise floor,' for lack of a better word, and the inability of the newer unit to discern musical nuances that were apparent using the predecessor unit.
Equally puzzling, the unit apparently was not defective. (Yes, I know, in the dark old days, a potentially bad review could lead the manufacturer to claim that they were already in the process of the update to correct the problem).

Hmmmmmmm. Still waiting on my issue.

One comment. This whole idea of "noise floor" seems pretty much like classic reviewer drivel to me. This is a digital component with no moving parts. This again plays in to the notion that reviewers have "golden ears" that can hear a pin drop in Yankee Stadium.

Other examples that make me chuckle are "blacker backgrounds", "airier highs". and the kicker, being able to hear the "acoustic" space, even on a multitracked, processed studio recording.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012

Hmmmmmmm. Still waiting on my issue.

One comment. This whole idea of "noise floor" seems pretty much like classic reviewer drivel to me. This is a digital component with no moving parts. This again plays in to the notion that reviewers have "golden ears" that can hear a pin drop in Yankee Stadium.

Other examples that make me chuckle are "blacker backgrounds", "airier highs". and the kicker, being able to hear the "acoustic" space, even on a multitracked, processed studio recording.
Andre, you will have to read the review. As I said, I bought the download of the issue for 4.99 or whatever. I suppose I could have subscribed, but I found that I never got magazines in the mail as quickly as they were available on newsstands when i did subscribe. Now, for the most part, I just buy issues online when there is something I want to read.(I still have all my old Absolute Sounds in a couple boxes, along with many boxes of car, motorcycle and other magazines- no, not that kind- that I'll just give away when we have our 'blow out' garage sale).

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, you will have to read the review. As I said, I bought the download of the issue for 4.99 or whatever. I suppose I could have subscribed, but I found that I never got magazines in the mail as quickly as they were available on newsstands when i did subscribe. Now, for the most part, I just buy issues online when there is something I want to read.(I still have all my old Absolute Sounds in a couple boxes, along with many boxes of car, motorcycle and other magazines- no, not that kind- that I'll just give away when we have our 'blow out' garage sale).

I am a print subscriber. I paid 5 shekels for 10 issues. I am too lazy to run around..and here in SoCal there are no big news stands except at the mall.

Trust me, I am not waiting on pins and needles to read this review...but certainly I am curious.

Actually interesting that Harley did not do the review. He has a history of doing 5 and 6 figure digital.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

I have no dog in this fire, to mix a metaphor. I respect ARC, and have owned their equipment (mostly a long time ago); I also don't know enough about the reviewer or how he evaluated the piece to know what to make of this. I suppose this might be an invitation for the 'objectivists' to weigh in, and point out the failings of subjective reviews. I honestly don't know what to make of this.
I do still read the magazines, not as avidly as I once did- and there was always a way of reading between the lines (someone else in this thread already brought that out- a piece of equipment can be panned by mild praise, rather than outright negatives). But, I gather this is unusual- not many negative reviews these days in general?

I'm with you on this one. I too have no dog in this fire.( I actually like and respect the ARC products) However, I am a little amused as to why people seem to think that because it is a well-known and respected company like ARC getting a bad review ( please don't state an opinion on the review until you have read it) that the reviewer has erred somehow. He may have BUT he may NOT have. What's more interesting to me is that this is the first negative review that i have seen of any piece in the last few years in any of the a'phile publications. ( please don't tell me that of all the gear gushingly reviewed over the years, that there haven't been a few real turkeys)
To me it's like a breath of fresh air....unless of course you want the status quo, wherein all gear reviewed is good to great and a true discriminatory aspect is not to be considered.
Once again, I'm NOT defending Alan Taffel or his review, just saying that IF he is correct ( and I have no reason to believe that he is not, at least in his mind)) then I appreciate his honesty in reviewing.:cool:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I don't think the point of this thread relates to ARC at all. It could've been any other company. The point being made here is that a major audiophile publication published a somewhat bad review of a product.
Isn't that just what people always ask in the "Letters" section? "Why isn't there more negative reviews?", "at least some of those products must be crap!", etc. Well, now they did find one that's sub-par (at least compared to a previous generation of the same product), and they publish it, accusations fly?
Let them be. Reviews must always be taken at face value, be them positive or negative.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I'm with you on this one. I too have no dog in this fire.( I actually like and respect the ARC products) However, I am a little amused as to why people seem to think that because it is a well-known and respected company like ARC getting a bad review ( please don't state an opinion on the review until you have read it) that the reviewer has erred somehow. He may have BUT he may NOT have. What's more interesting to me is that this is the first negative review that i have seen of any piece in the last few years in any of the a'phile publications. ( please don't tell me that of all the gear gushingly reviewed over the years, that there haven't been a few real turkeys)
To me it's like a breath of fresh air....unless of course you want the status quo, wherein all gear reviewed is good to great and a true discriminatory aspect is not to be considered.
Once again, I'm NOT defending Alan Taffel or his review, just saying that IF he is correct ( and I have no reason to believe that he is not, at least in his mind)) then I appreciate his honesty in reviewing.:cool:

Good clarification.

One thing that would be helpful to all readers/hobbyists is if TAS actually had a functional website, where one could search out archived Taffel
reviews to get some context for his preferences. It is sad that in 2012 one can still not do this. Every single Sphile review is archived and can be
searched out by author, brand, model, etc.

I do have on question..why do you think this is the "first negative review in the last few years" in the mags? There have been quite a few. Fremer hated
the Bryston amplification, Harley was very cool about the Venture Grand Ultimates, Lichte absolutely skewered Totem, and quite a few others.

Remember, there are very veiled ways that reviewers toe the line when giving a negative reviews. They use phrases like "careful system matching required",
that xyz "may not appeal to everyone", or "the XYX faces stiff competition at this price point".

Lastly, understand how reviews are arranged. Most are for products the reviewer will have heard at show and came away with positive
impressions. Many are products from manufacturers that the reviewer has an excellent relationship with. How many Musical Fidelity reviews
has Sam Tellig done? How many ARC products has Valin done? How many Audio Note products has Art Dudley done? That is just the way it is.
Lastly, reviewers may also get approached cold by manufacturers, or they may get assigned a product to review by the editor.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing