Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kubala-Sosna Elation Speaker Cables

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    I have sent a PM to you.
    Haven't received a PM from you as of 12:53 Chicago time.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Just to say I have got a message from Joe Kubala saying they are just now using a 10m XLR pair of Elation's with an ARC preamplifier at the AXPONA Chicago show!
    Last edited by microstrip; 03-08-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Resurrecting this one from the dead, hopefully the OP doesnt mind me adding to it.

I've recently aquired a set of Elation speaker cables and felt compelled to add my own experience with them after reading this post. First I would like to mention that the OP's original post describing his experience using these cables seems to very much mimic my own.

Prior to switching to the KS Elation cables I was a happy User of MIT's Magnum MA cables in combination with a set of PassLabs XA60.8 and Magico S3 speakers. An opportunity came up to get these KS cables which is a set of wire I've read alot of good things about and have been interested in trying for quite some time.

First I'll mention that even though KS says these cables dont require much break-in they are mostly true in my experience but I felt that it wasnt until I played them for about 36hrs that I felt things started to become interesting, in a good way. At first I was just luke warm on their capabilites compared to my previous cables but thats not as damning as it sounds. The fact that they were almost the equal of the previous cables out of the box is pretty telling in and of itself. I though that the MIT's had slightly better bass performance and that the center image was a bit more stable but other than that they were pretty equal for the first 24hrs or so of playback.

Fast forward to what I feel was the point when things started to get interesting. I began to notice that the KS cables were starting to reveal subtle changes in the sound of instruments that took on a more lifelike tone. Acoustic guitars, pianos, strings and woodwinds all started to sound more lifelike. Vocals too began to show more lifelike qualities than I was previously aware of.

In the OP's original post he mentioned that it seemed as if there was an absence of dynamic compression when using these cables. I concur with that description as well. I'm not sure if its a speed thing or just has something to do with the gauge of the cables but they certainly seem very capable of going from 0-100 at the drop of a hat when the music calls for it on dynamic swings.

Lastly, there seems to be a rightness with the pace and flow of the music when using these cables. Very easy to listen to with a very good presence to them in how they convey subtle details but never seeming to get in your face while doing it. Bass is there when called upon but now there is more texture to it than before and it seems to extend a bit lower as well. Performer placement and movement within the soundstage is much easier to pickup on as well. When they move or turn away from the mic you know it on good recordings, not so much before.

That sums up my experience with the Elation speaker cables and based on what Im hearing today they are keepers. Highly recommended!
    Music is the brandy of the damned - George Bernard Shaw

My Audio System Link

I tried the Expression in my system and liked it a lot. Thinking of going for the Emotions (balanced interconnect and speaker cable) in a blind buy as I have no opportunity to demo them. However, since my speakers are bi wire, I am thinking of getting the Elation jumpers to go with the Emotion speaker cable. Perhaps that will be the winning combo for both warmness and openness at the same time.

Not sure about the Emotion AES/EBU digital cable. I am using a pair of Transparent Reference AES/EBU which is an excellent cable, so other than system synergy, I doubt the Emotions will be an upgrade so I may as well skip them.

Quote Originally Posted by Amused View Post
    I tried the Expression in my system and liked it a lot. Thinking of going for the Emotions (balanced interconnect and speaker cable) in a blind buy as I have no opportunity to demo them. However, since my speakers are bi wire, I am thinking of getting the Elation jumpers to go with the Emotion speaker cable. Perhaps that will be the winning combo for both warmness and openness at the same time.

Not sure about the Emotion AES/EBU digital cable. I am using a pair of Transparent Reference AES/EBU which is an excellent cable, so other than system synergy, I doubt the Emotions will be an upgrade so I may as well skip them.
    I hear you. At these prices its tough to go whole hog on one brand/type from end to end. All of my Interconnect cabling is Mogami but from Amp to speaker I've gone whole hog : )

My Audio System Link

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    I think K/S cables go well with Magico, YG, etc.

However, they did not work as well with my Devores or Zus.

I received the Emotion speaker cable and jumpers (to replace my previous bi wire Transparent Ultra MM2). The balanced interconnect between my dCS Paganini and the Diablo is the Transparent Ultra Gen5 (soon to be replaced by Emotion).

The Emotion speaker cables are just as other users have reported: extremely full sounding, very warm, but also somewhat dark and closed on top. However, they are much better than the mentioned Transparent’s which were totally rolled off on top. Perhaps it has to do with pairing, they are hooked up to my Gryphon Diablo integrated which is pretty dark sounding. However, the cables have great slam, unlike the Transparent which was pretty “soft” if I may say. But I still feel I am losing details, I simply miss some openness. And I am not particularly happy with the way the Emotions reproduce cymbals. In order to balance the Emotions a bit, I placed an order for Elation jumpers in hope they will provide a bit more resolution. In general, I believe it is an excellent cable, but probably incompatible with other Transparent’s I still have in my system (power cables, digital cables and the mentioned balanced interconnect). Maybe the Transparent’s upstream are limiting the potential of the Kubala speaker cable. We shall see.

Within the next 3 weeks I will receive a pair of Emotion balanced interconnects, a pair of Elation jumpers, a pair of Elation AES/EBU cables (I expect a lot from them),one Elation power cable for the amp, one Emotion power cable for the DAC and one Expression power cable for the streamer. Then I will report back what I am hearing.

P.S. Luckily, my dealer will accept all my Transparent cabling as trade in for the Kubala-Sosna, so I won’t go bankrupt

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amused View Post
    I received the Emotion speaker cable and jumpers (to replace my previous bi wire Transparent Ultra MM2). The balanced interconnect between my dCS Paganini and the Diablo is the Transparent Ultra Gen5 (soon to be replaced by Emotion).

The Emotion speaker cables are just as other users have reported: extremely full sounding, very warm, but also somewhat dark and closed on top. However, they are much better than the mentioned Transparent’s which were totally rolled off on top. Perhaps it has to do with pairing, they are hooked up to my Gryphon Diablo integrated which is pretty dark sounding. However, the cables have great slam, unlike the Transparent which was pretty “soft” if I may say. But I still feel I am losing details, I simply miss some openness. And I am not particularly happy with the way the Emotions reproduce cymbals. In order to balance the Emotions a bit, I placed an order for Elation jumpers in hope they will provide a bit more resolution. In general, I believe it is an excellent cable, but probably incompatible with other Transparent’s I still have in my system (power cables, digital cables and the mentioned balanced interconnect). Maybe the Transparent’s upstream are limiting the potential of the Kubala speaker cable. We shall see.

Within the next 3 weeks I will receive a pair of Emotion balanced interconnects, a pair of Elation jumpers, a pair of Elation AES/EBU cables (I expect a lot from them),one Elation power cable for the amp, one Emotion power cable for the DAC and one Expression power cable for the streamer. Then I will report back what I am hearing.

P.S. Luckily, my dealer will accept all my Transparent cabling as trade in for the Kubala-Sosna, so I won’t go bankrupt
    In my system the Emotions sounded dark and lacked detail - the Elation was a much better cable in all senses, I owned a full loom for sometime. IMHO, in general Transparent do not mix well with other cables, we should always have ICs and speaker cables in order to get the best of them. And if they are not from the same type, the better one should be the source IC.
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, SoundLab A1 Px, Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT 2, cj ART monoblocks , TA OPUS MM2 IC's and sp, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    In my system the Emotions sounded dark and lacked detail - the Elation was a much better cable in all senses, I owned a full loom for sometime. IMHO, in general Transparent do not mix well with other cables, we should always have ICs and speaker cables in order to get the best of them. And if they are not from the same type, the better one should be the source IC.
    My point exactly. The Kubala has proved to be very capable of taming the beryllium tweeters of my TADs, I get absolutely zero fatigue even after long listening hours. However, I firmly believe that the Transparent digital and analog interconnects are the limiting factor here (as well as Transparent power cables for that matter), so once I get all the Kubala cables I have on order - I will be able to draw the final conclusion. Perhaps it’s a synergy thing after all.

What I particularly like about the Emotion is the timbre of acoustic guitar - absolutely marvelous and the best I have heard so far out of any cable.

FWIW, Every other cable in my system shy the Amp power cords are Mogami. I only have Elation speaker cables. This combo seems to work well IMO with the Mogami being dead neutral and the primary seasoning coming from the Elation speaker cables. Not dull and not too sweet, just right

My Audio System Link

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12