DCS Vivaldi

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Well since it's only $110K now I can get my checkbook. ;)

Seriously though I applaud a firm pushing the envelope like this with statement pieces.

Now if dCS would make a DAC for $5K with 99% of the sound quality I would be really happy.

How does this piece (or, rather, the four of them) push the envelope?

Tim

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
One correction: the US Sales Mgr for DCS asked me to correct the price. It is $110K, not 135K. Sorry for any misinformation there.

Whew! Glad it's not $135K. Now that it is only $110K, I'm in!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
How does this piece (or, rather, the four of them) push the envelope?

Tim

Anybody? Surely at this price there is some kind of breakthrough, some new technology the research for which has not yet been paid for?

Tim

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Anybody? Surely at this price there is some kind of breakthrough, some new technology the research for which has not yet been paid for?

Tim

Has to be the most expensive piece of Digital stuff out there .. So it breaks the enveloppe and must sound good and redefines what is possible in digital and ...

I don't get DcS naming scheme ... I am not sure I would call Vivaldi the best Western Classical Music composer ...

If we are to follow Microstrip rationale , 4 boxes for Vivaldi's Four Seasons ..

So if there is a "Beethoven" Stack would it have 9 pieces?

Ok I am out.. Too much poking fun at the product ... It will be soon joined by another >$100K DAC followed by a $200K DAC.. I wonder where's the limit?

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
Vivaldi dac inside
View attachment 4770

View attachment 4771

Vivaldi is designed to play music from any source and processes all high resolution PCM music formats up to DXD (24 bit data at 352.8 and 384kS/s), plus DSD. The optimised DSP filters and clocking architecture ensure listeners can extract every last nuance of musical detail and feeling while tuning the system to suit their personal preference.

Vivaldi DAC utilises the next generation of the state-of-the-art dCS Ring DAC™ which combines exceptional linearity with very high speed operation, enabling it to deliver true 24 bit performance even at low signal levels. The new dCS Ring DAC™ used in Vivaldi represents the most significant reworking of the design in its 20+ year history, and it incorporates a number of important technical advances that have resulted in enhanced dynamic range, reduced jitter, improved channel separation, and greatly improved musical realism.

The Scarlatti dac is more complex with chips all over the place.

View attachment 4772

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
The DAC alone is $28K and apparently has an asynch USB input. Depending on the internal clock implementation in the DAC the external clock *may* bring only marginal improvements (if any), same goes for the upsampler... use of a music server means the transport is also not needed, and this suddenly becomes a very interesting and much more accessible product. Even in this standalone configuration this has definite potential to be the SOTA DAC to beat.

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
The DAC alone is $28K and apparently has an asynch USB input. Depending on the internal clock implementation in the DAC the external clock *may* bring only marginal improvements (if any), same goes for the upsampler... use of a music server means the transport is also not needed, and this suddenly becomes a very interesting and much more accessible product. Even in this standalone configuration this has definite potential to be the SOTA DAC to beat.

My understanding is that the USB input is part of the upsampler only. Accordingly, you might need a USB to SPDIF/AES-EBU adapter to use the DAC only with a computer or a music server. Also, if dCS continued with its tradition, you'd need a double AES-EBU connection to run 24/192 file. Obviously, you wouldn't need to spend tons of dollars for that kind of interface, but still, this stack is mostly conceived to be purchased as a combination.

Not commenting the price, which speaks by itself, I honestly don't get the meaning of keeping both the Scarlatti and the Vivaldi in the catalogue. Vivaldi is going to be the third and top 4-chassis stack in dCS. Isn't that too much?
I'd rather remove the Scarlatti (which is a 2005 product) and introduce a new single chassis SACD player with USB input.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
docvale,

I believe dCS has sort-of upgraded the Scarlatti as well. The USB input is now on the Scarlatti clock, instead of the Upsampler. That will allow full DSD over USB.
Most likely, the Vivaldi will also use this set-up. So, for computer playback, all you'll need is the DAC+Clock.
I was considering upgrading to the Scarlatti (from the Paganini), but I'd like to see the individual prices of these new units now...

alexandre

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
docvale,

I believe dCS has sort-of upgraded the Scarlatti as well. The USB input is now on the Scarlatti clock, instead of the Upsampler. That will allow full DSD over USB.
Most likely, the Vivaldi will also use this set-up. So, for computer playback, all you'll need is the DAC+Clock.
I was considering upgrading to the Scarlatti (from the Paganini), but I'd like to see the individual prices of these new units now...

alexandre

So, mine is an assumption based on the press release by dCS, such as here: http://www.avguide.com/article/dcs-launches-vivaldi-digital-playback-system There, they say that the USB is in the upsampler.

With a USB input in the DAC, lots of people would just buy it, ignoring all the other components.

I know that the Scarlatti got updated.
The point is: why keeping a reference and a presumed super-reference competitor in the same catalogue? :confused:

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Read the Vivaldi technical overview at my blog.

Ok, so apparently both the upsampler and the DAC have an asynchronous USB input.
Maybe the upsampler is required only if you're playing a CD disc with the transport... :confused:

Anyway, this is a feature that makes the life of the Scarlatti (in which you have to have more than one chassis to get computer audio through USB) even harder now...

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Ok, so apparently both the upsampler and the DAC have an asynchronous USB input.
Maybe the upsampler is required only if you're playing a CD disc with the transport... :confused:

Anyway, this is a feature that makes the life of the Scarlatti (in which you have to have more than one chassis to get computer audio through USB) even harder now...

For that kind of money they should wire asynchronous USB directly to my brain.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing