DCS Vivaldi

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
image.jpg

Here is a quick pic of the units...will need to clean up cable routing once I decide on final placement...but wanted to get them up and running...plan to listen to tomorrow night

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
With DCS, i noticed the system was quieter, more detailed...impressive but relatively speaking i much preferred listening to music on my Zanden. I also know i have some minor PSU hum that needs to be fixed...choke filter. The DCS was the first to show me how much detail one could retrieve...but in terms of that detail, it felt (to me) the DCS presentation while more detailed felt more like excellent reproduction, stiff...not sure how one articulates this bit. A typewriter of music? In the right system, magic i am sure. But, somehow, it did not move me musically...or financially! My quest continues...

Lloyd,

DCS top systems should be very carefully matched. I have listened to them a few times and most of the time I shared your feelings - no magic. But two experiences were so wonderful - life like, detailed, musical that I had to re-think my opinion about the brand. Even my ordinary CDs showed a lot of music.
BTW, you should be careful as you have a GAT - my best experience with DCS was in an all top conrad johnson system.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Here is a quick pic of the units...will need to clean up cable routing once I decide on final placement...but wanted to get them up and running...plan to listen to tomorrow night

It will be great to know how they sound in a REF40 and REF150 system. What type of Transparent cable are you using?

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
It will be great to know how they sound in a REF40 and REF150 system. What type of Transparent cable are you using?

The Vivaldi system will be in my main system which currently uses an Ayre KX-R/ref250/Sasha in the chain. Nordost Valhalla AES from upsampler to dac in dual aes mode and xlr from DAC to preamp and Transparent Ultra xlr to amps and ultra speaker cables. I have DAC set for 2V output. The Alexia's are replacing sasha in 3 weeks.

The Ref 40 is at my cabin with Ref 150 and Wilson Duette. The ARC Ref DAC will be the only source in that system using its UPnP server to access Naim HDX SSD.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd,

DCS top systems should be very carefully matched. I have listened to them a few times and most of the time I shared your feelings - no magic. But two experiences were so wonderful - life like, detailed, musical that I had to re-think my opinion about the brand. Even my ordinary CDs showed a lot of music.
BTW, you should be careful as you have a GAT - my best experience with DCS was in an all top conrad johnson system.

Agree, Microstrip...in the right system, i could imagine DCS is magic particularly if one weights resolution heavily in the definition of magic. i have chosen my magic and considered myself fortunate to have it. As for DCS...i will be listening to 2 systems next month...one set up with Zanden digital and the other set up for DCS Scarlatti. looking forward to learning more about both in their respective setups.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd,

Hi, hope all is well ! I really dig my dCS Scarlatti. I've found however you have to be careful on the filter and some clock settings-along with cable choices. I use DSD Filter 3 mostly (sometimes filter 2) and on the clock no dither (this to my ears is a biggie-really allows the music to relax and flow). Also I've found clock cables are very important-most seem to use stock. I've also tried Cardas Lightning 15 and Purist Proteus Provectus Praesto-both make significant improvements is focus, how the music flows, and listenability...

I haven't heard Zanden...but I suspect you might be able to tweek the dCS a bit via settings/cables to add what you like about the Zanden...

(PS, I have to admit, I heard the Gryphon amps...NICE !! -maybe we should move this to another thread...)

I bet you're right...in the right system, as i was sharing earlier this evening with Microstrip...i could see DCS magic. And yes, i do enjoy Gryphon quite a bit.

georgemg

Feb 11, 2013
Brasil
.i will be listening to 2 systems next month...one set up with Zanden digital and the other set up for DCS Scarlatti. looking forward to learning more about both in their respective setups.

That will be very interesting, because I never listen before zanden digital, only the preamplifier( minimalist, very transparent, and musical)). I hear with some frequency this setup: Scarlatti/ maxx EA / AR 610T/ VTL 7.5 mk3 / transparent opus cables, fantastic microdinamics and macro, detail,correct timbre , but sometimes I think the sax or the voice are bigger than the real, maybe the room and speakers positioning are the cause of this observation, it's hard to choose a source in this digital's spiral changes, last year I listen some digital cd/sacs players, and two caught my attention: TAD 600 and CH precision, but listened on different setups.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That will be very interesting, because I never listen before zanden digital, only the preamplifier( minimalist, very transparent, and musical)). I hear with some frequency this setup: Scarlatti/ maxx EA / AR 610T/ VTL 7.5 mk3 / transparent opus cables, fantastic microdinamics and macro, detail,correct timbre , but sometimes I think the sax or the voice are bigger than the real, maybe the room and speakers positioning are the cause of this observation, it's hard to choose a source in this digital's spiral changes, last year I listen some digital cd/sacs players, and two caught my attention: TAD 600 and CH precision, but listened on different setups.

Interesting. I have heard TAD 600 and Scarlatti, but not CH Precision. What did u think of CH Precision? I have heard very good things about it...designed by the people from Orpheus Labs. Thanks for any comments!

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Interesting. I have heard TAD 600 and Scarlatti, but not CH Precision. What did u think of CH Precision? I have heard very good things about it...designed by the people from Orpheus Labs. Thanks for any comments!

Lloyd,

I have heard the CH Precision in my system (before I had the Rockport Arrakis and before I had the MSB digital front end) - so about 14 months ago. I only had it for 2 days but that was long enough to get a feel for it (I wished I had a longer audition period). First, the units had some of the best build quality I have ever seen (as they should given their pricing). Based on what I heard, the real magic of CH precision is when you use the C1 DAC as both a DAC and a preamp/volume control and bypass any external preamp. Used this way, the sound was pretty special. When I used the C1 DAC to feed my VTL 7.5 Series 3 preamp that I was using at the time, it was still very good, but not magical. In my system, I need a preamp given that I also have an analog front end and CH was working on an adapter board that would allow you to feed the C1 DAC with analog inputs (say from a phono stage). The board would then convert the analog input to 24/192 PCM and then process it as a digital input. I do not know the status of this board and I really wasn't interested in listening to analog in this manner. But if I had a digital only system (and used the C1 DAC as the preamp) the CH Precision was certainly one of the best digital sounds that I have heard and certainly worth auditioning.

Arnie

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd,

I have heard the CH Precision in my system (before I had the Rockport Arrakis and before I had the MSB digital front end) - so about 14 months ago. I only had it for 2 days but that was long enough to get a feel for it (I wished I had a longer audition period). First, the units had some of the best build quality I have ever seen (as they should given their pricing). Based on what I heard, the real magic of CH precision is when you use the C1 DAC as both a DAC and a preamp/volume control and bypass any external preamp. Used this way, the sound was pretty special. When I used the C1 DAC to feed my VTL 7.5 Series 3 preamp that I was using at the time, it was still very good, but not magical. In my system, I need a preamp given that I also have an analog front end and CH was working on an adapter board that would allow you to feed the C1 DAC with analog inputs (say from a phono stage). The board would then convert the analog input to 24/192 PCM and then process it as a digital input. I do not know the status of this board and I really wasn't interested in listening to analog in this manner. But if I had a digital only system (and used the C1 DAC as the preamp) the CH Precision was certainly one of the best digital sounds that I have heard and certainly worth auditioning.

Arnie

Thanks, Arnie. Yes, i remember now that you had heard this. Great to read your feedback on it! My own system is hopefully about to reach "fully evolved" status shortly...just one cable that is 13-yrs old which i hope i've just agreed to upgrade to 2nd hand one from seller i know. That will be the 3rd system in just over 20 years. For me, that means enjoying my Zanden digital and redbook. Nevertheless, its always great to learn about the latest edge of hi-res/digital.

Your MSB is something i have to hear...and i will in Boston at Goodwins this summer when we are there. I will be hearing Altair, Constellation and MSB...looking forward to it!

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Yesterday I have the opportunity to listen to a shoot out between Vivaldi Dac & Orpheus Heritage. Most of us prefer Orpheus Heritage dac

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yesterday I have the opportunity to listen to a shoot out between Vivaldi Dac & Orpheus Heritage. Most of us prefer Orpheus Heritage dac

Orpheus Heritage?

kamil

Aug 3, 2013
Just joined this forum!

Audioblazer, I have the first version of the Heritage and considering the Vivaldi, or upgrade to the latest Heritage 3. Was this the complete Vivaldi set, and why did you prefer the Vivaldi. I have heard the Vivaldi on a different system and room to mine but could not make a full A-B comparison.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Orpheus Heritage?

high end digital developed by a number of people who were formerly with Anagram Technologies which developed chips, I believe, for d/a. Known for its extreme resolution and clean purity (a la Boulder).

Last edited:

Namaste

Feb 20, 2013
I have heard the latest EMM Labs, the Orpheus Heritage, the dCs Vivaldi and the CH Precision recently and I thought they are they are the best DACs in the market currently. One probably can't go wrong with any of these. I chose the CH Precision C1.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I suppose all these DAC are world class . It's a matter of preference . Love the CH precision as well. Looking forward to hear it with the new PSU. Considering MSB Diamond DAC as well

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have heard the latest EMM Labs, the Orpheus Heritage, the dCs Vivaldi and the CH Precision recently and I thought they are they are the best DACs in the market currently. One probably can't go wrong with any of these. I chose the CH Precision C1.

Congrats...have been told great things about ch precision.
Aren't the guys from Orpheus the founders of CH precision? I believe I read this.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I suppose all these DAC are world class . It's a matter of preference . Love the CH precision as well. Looking forward to hear it with the new PSU. Considering MSB Diamond DAC as well

Agree it's personal and also about the rest of the system. Nevertheless, would love to read your notes about how these compare if you have the time...what have you auditioned so far?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing