DCS Vivaldi

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Is the RCA set to 6v when you thought you had it lower? If so, could this this... I'm at DAC sw version 2.01, and upsampler version 2.01 also...

On your iPad have you clicked the update button (while inside the dcs app)? If you click on the gear icon (upper right) then click on information, then on version, you'll see a check for updates at the bottom.

I'm on app version 1.4 ...

Is it even possible to have the RCA set to 6v while the balanced is 2v? As far as I know there's only one global setting for output voltage.

I don't think I've noticed the update button (or if I did it was when I first got my Upsampler and have since forgotten about it). I'll check it tonight.

Thanks!

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
What network board version are u guys on ?

BTW 2.01 fixed the gain issues

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
What network board version are u guys on ?

BTW 2.01 fixed the gain issues

Network board is 307 here. Software is 2.01 and of course the app is 1.4.

RS232 certainly solved the communication issues. Totally makes sense in terms of the DAC since the Upsampler is the only thing connected to the network.

microme

Apr 27, 2017
Audener W20 vs dCS Upsampler + NAS(Roon)

I'm thinking about upgrading source device.
( I'm using battery powered PC as source. (Roon+Tidal))

The device that I'm thinking about for upgrade are Aurender W20 and dCS vivaldi Upsampler+NAS.
Both are very expensive for me so I can't buy both of them at the same time. (I have to choose one)

I'll be appreciated If any one shares some experience on these devices.

- I need Tidal and hopely Roon too
- sound quality is my primary concern
- currently I have dCS Vivaldi DAC and Master Clock
- I'm also wondering whether there are differences in sound quality between NAS running Roon vs NAS running UPNP server

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well, if you need Roon, the Aurender's off then, as they don't support it, nor plan to support it.

cheers,
alex

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Does anyone have experience with the Shunyata digital cables (AES/EBU and clock) in a DCS Vivaldi stack?

vindixon

Oct 29, 2012
Radnor, Pa
www.vincentdixon.com
I'm thinking about upgrading source device.
( I'm using battery powered PC as source. (Roon+Tidal))

The device that I'm thinking about for upgrade are Aurender W20 and dCS vivaldi Upsampler+NAS.
Both are very expensive for me so I can't buy both of them at the same time. (I have to choose one)

I'll be appreciated If any one shares some experience on these devices.

- I need Tidal and hopely Roon too
- sound quality is my primary concern
- currently I have dCS Vivaldi DAC and Master Clock
- I'm also wondering whether there are differences in sound quality between NAS running Roon vs NAS running UPNP server

You can run both Roon & Tidal directly from the Vivaldi Upsampler so you wouldn't need an Aurender. Connect the Upsampler to your PC, router or NAS using ethernet. You can also control volume on the Vivaldi DAC directly from the Roon app who using the Upsampler V2 which is handy.

microme

Apr 27, 2017
You can run both Roon & Tidal directly from the Vivaldi Upsampler so you wouldn't need an Aurender. Connect the Upsampler to your PC, router or NAS using ethernet. You can also control volume on the Vivaldi DAC directly from the Roon app who using the Upsampler V2 which is handy.

Thank you. Do you mean Vivaldi Upsampler + NAS is better than Aurender W20 for sound quality?

microme

Apr 27, 2017
Does anyone have experience with the Shunyata digital cables (AES/EBU and clock) in a DCS Vivaldi stack?

I have Vivaldi DAC and Vivaldi Master Clock which are connnected with Black Cat's digit75 cables.
(I have been interested in Shunyata digital cables but I don't have any experience with them)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

No, but I've tried Cardas Lightning, Purist Proteous Provectus and Transparent. It's amazing what better digital cables can do...I am sure Shunyata's are excellent. Sorry not a direct answer...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thank you. Do you mean Vivaldi Upsampler + NAS is better than Aurender W20 for sound quality?

Oh my yes. The upsampler is a HUGE addition to your Vivaldi equipment. This is clearly the way to go. If down the road you want a simpler/better interface for digital files ...then get the Aurender. However, the vivaldi iPad app suits my needs just fine, just have to have a small bit of computer knowledge to set up the NAS. Also get a better ethernet cable (I use Transparent it's about $250)

Last edited:

microme

Apr 27, 2017
Oh my yes. The upsampler is a HUGE addition to your Vivaldi equipment. This is clearly the way to go. If down the road you want a simpler/better interface for digital files ...then get the Aurender. However, the vivaldi iPad app suits my needs just fine, just have to have a small bit of computer knowledge to set up the NAS. Also get a better USB cable (I use Transparent it's about $250)

Thank you for your advice.

Sorry to keeping asking though....
1) Do you mean that using dCS app+uPnP server is better than Roon running on NAS for sound quality in Upsampler+NAS scenario?
2) Why do I need USB cable when NAS is connected to Upsampler with ethernet via switch/hub and the Upsampler is connected DAC through dual AES/EBU?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Oh my yes. The upsampler is a HUGE addition to your Vivaldi equipment. This is clearly the way to go. If down the road you want a simpler/better interface for digital files ...then get the Aurender. However, the vivaldi iPad app suits my needs just fine, just have to have a small bit of computer knowledge to set up the NAS. Also get a better USB cable (I use Transparent it's about $250)

John, I'm also confused why you employ a USB cable. Can you explain?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thank you for your advice.

Sorry to keeping asking though....
1) Do you mean that using dCS app+uPnP server is better than Roon running on NAS for sound quality in Upsampler+NAS scenario?
2) Why do I need USB cable when NAS is connected to Upsampler with ethernet via switch/hub and the Upsampler is connected DAC through dual AES/EBU?

It's ok...details are important on this subject. And some here will not agree with me regarding Roon and sound quality..

1) But I prefer my NAS drive (Synology DS716 +II) running Minim Server (uPnP) with dCS app over Roon server running on the same NAS drive using the same Apple airport extreme router and Transparent high performance ethernet (2 cables - one NAS to router, other router to UPS)
2) Typo should have said ethernet vs USB cable...I just corrected it in my post above)

Don't get me wrong...Roon on my NAS sounds great. However in direct comparison in my system I prefer Minim Server on sound quality. Roon is soft sounding dynamics seem restricted. Obviously the Roon interface is NICE.

You will not regret the UPS. It's a significant step up in performance for PCM based files of all resolutions. As for DSD, I usually use the pass through mode to get it the DAC...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Not enough coffee yet ... meant to say ethernet :)

Ha! I've been there!

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried disabling the Upsampler (e.g. using Clone mode) and listened carefully to 44.1 material? There are some interesting differences.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Ha! I've been there!

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried disabling the Upsampler (e.g. using Clone mode) and listened carefully to 44.1 material? There are some interesting differences.

No but I'll try now. Guessing filter/upsampling differences?

For PCM material, I've been listening to UPS F2 to DXD, DAC F6 mapper 3

For DSD material I use F5 Mapper 1

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
No but I'll try now. Guessing filter/upsampling differences?

For PCM material, I've been listening to UPS F2 to DXD, DAC F6 mapper 3

For DSD material I use F5 Mapper 1

I mention it because it's worth experimenting with. I don't want to say what my perceptions of the differences are lest I bias you. :)

microme

Apr 27, 2017
It's ok...details are important on this subject. And some here will not agree with me regarding Roon and sound quality..

1) But I prefer my NAS drive (Synology DS716 +II) running Minim Server (uPnP) with dCS app over Roon server running on the same NAS drive using the same Apple airport extreme router and Transparent high performance ethernet (2 cables - one NAS to router, other router to UPS)
2) Typo should have said ethernet vs USB cable...I just corrected it in my post above)

Don't get me wrong...Roon on my NAS sounds great. However in direct comparison in my system I prefer Minim Server on sound quality. Roon is soft sounding dynamics seem restricted. Obviously the Roon interface is NICE.

You will not regret the UPS. It's a significant step up in performance for PCM based files of all resolutions. As for DSD, I usually use the pass through mode to get it the DAC...

Thank you for sharing your experience. I think I have to save more money for UPS+NAS :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing