DCS Vivaldi

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Go into audio settings, then device settings and set resync delay to at least 2000ms That will help to start tracks at beginning. Also DXD takes longer to resync than DSD

I didn't know you do that, thanks!

AudioAl

Aug 20, 2016

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I'm running it on a dedicated Mac Mini.

Connect via USB to upsampler? Or roon on mac mini controlling the NAS which is connected via Ethernet to Upsampler? just curious...

AudioAl

Aug 20, 2016
Connect via USB to upsampler? Or roon on mac mini controlling the NAS which is connected via Ethernet to Upsampler? just curious...

I have Roon Core/Output doing ethernet to the Upsampler controlled by the IOS Roon app on an IPad. Music files are stored on a RAID array connected to the Mac Mini. I have DSP off.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Well we have slightly different networking & compute configurations-but seemingly same result with roon.

Thanks for posting. I've reported my findings to my dealer and dcs...dealer can replicate my issue with his Vivaldi/Roon setup - i.e. His minimserver sounds better too

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
What network firmware?
What dac software?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I've no interest in MQA anymore since learning it's nothing more than a scam and that the format is lossy.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I've no interest in MQA anymore since learning it's nothing more than a scam and that the format is lossy.

Other than MQA, I wonder what other software updates for Vivaldi?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Other than MQA, I wonder what other software updates for Vivaldi?

Doesn't sound like there are any others, but we can hope for general sonic improvements!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Have you heard it yet

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

IMHO we still do not have information enough on this subject. Some people criticize DSD on very valid technical arguments, but in my system a few of my preferred recordings sound really better in DSD than the CD layer.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Looks like there are updates coming....MQA announced in Munich..etc

I will say every network firmware change for the Upsampler sound very different.....

Do u think the Anniversary one box will sound better than the 2 piece dac and upsampler plus cables? Based on just listening to different cables, I think it will.......

stevelgbch

Aug 18, 2013
Long Beach, CA
notable that MQA will debut in several dCS units at Munich

Well, we've seen MQA on the Rossini. What about the Vivaldi? Will it be software/firmware only, or will it need an "electronics" upgrade for best implementation? And, I wonder when? I want to hear my Roon MQA albums :)

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
My friends at dCS mentioned it'll be a software upgrade only.
It came out for the Rossini first because it's one box that's doing all the MQA work. On the Vivaldi, each box will do a separate part in the MQA decoding process (upsampler+DAC), so it'll require software updates for all the boxes.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I will say every network firmware change for the Upsampler sound very different.....

Hasn't there only been one since you owned it (2.01)?

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
roon 1.3 233 update...back to TCP....sounds fantastic. The dCS guys will be very happy

Separation width is stunning

Lowered my resync to 100ms from 2000...everything works much smoother when tracks change resolutions

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing