DCS Vivaldi

ksalno

Mar 29, 2015
Actually I have the clock already ! For Sacd I have a limited collection ( around 100) compared to CDs. I believe Esoteric products have wordclock inputs as well.
How would you compare Scarlatti transport vs Vivaldi ? and even if not 100% comparable Scarlatti transport vs Vivaldi upsampler network input ?

I did my Vivaldi stack in 3 steps - 1) DAC + Upsampler 2) Clock 3) Transport. For steps 1 & 2, I used my Esoteric K01 as a transport. dCS sources the Transport drive mechanism from Esoteric. The Esoteric does work fine with the Vivaldi clock (you only need 44.1 group 1). Jfrench is correct you can't play SACDs through the Vivaldi DAC from the Esoteric, only CDs via single AES or SPDIF connection. For SACDs, you run analog out from the Esoteric straight to your preamp. If you have a PS3, Oppo 10x or the right BluRay player, you can also rip your SACDs so they can be played via the network or USB input on the Upsampler to the Vivaldi DAC. I lived very happily with the Esoteric as my transport and only bought the Vivaldi because I was offered a good deal on it. There is an improvement with the Vivaldi Transport but it is subtle and I could only really tell when I listened to the two transports back to back. If I had heard them on different days, I'm not sure I would have noticed the difference.

If you do consider the Esoteric as a transport, I'm not sure there is any real advantage to the K01x over the K01. The improvements in the "x" were mostly in the DAC and the USB input to allow it to work with higher PCM sample rates. Since you already have the Vivaldi DAC and Upsampler, you don't need the "x" and used K01's can be had for $8K or less.

mribob

May 8, 2017
Agoura, CA
New Question regarding dCS Network Bridge, and best utilization:
I just installed the NB, with dual AES digital cables, and Transparent Audio reference digital cable for clock, going into dCS Vivaldi DAC updated with current 2.2 software. Made a very nice improvement in sound quality over PC based laptop and usb and JRiver.
I occasionally have challenges with my iPad recognizing the NB app for control of my library, now stored on new NAS with SSD's. When using JRiver to control library, my system refuses to play redbook CD files, but does play HDTrack hi-res downloads great.
I'm thinking of getting a ROON server and software, in attempts to use the NB in a better fashion. One option that intrigues me is the Innuos Zenith Mk II, as I don't think I can step up to the SGM player. I'd like to hear from dCS folks if they have experience or thoughts on the Innuos product interfaced to NB via ethernet cable. I have premium Wireworld ethernet cable, and will shortly be trying Sablon ethernet. I like the features described with Innuos, with built in CD ripper, and library organizer, and fixing meta data, as I have wav files that when transfered to NAS don't have data to allow me to search files and play.
I'd also like to hear other recommendations to allow me to more fully enjoy my stored library on NAS thru the NB, instead of JRiver on laptop. I was unable to start with upsampler, or clock, but one of those options will be in my future. From reading above, it seems that clock might be better next step.
Thanks much for your suggestions and recommendations.
Best,
Bob
rig: Venture Excellence III speakers with ribbon tweeters, Veloce Litho II battery tubed pre, Hegel H-30 stereo amp, dCS Vivaldi DAC 2.2, NB, Transparent cables, JL 113 sub, PS audio P 5 and Equi-tech 1.5 balanced power conditioner, ass't PC's.

mribob

May 8, 2017
Agoura, CA
dCS Vivaldi DAC with NB, and Innuos ROON server?

New Question regarding dCS Network Bridge, and best utilization:
I just installed the NB, with dual AES digital cables, and Transparent Audio reference digital cable for clock, going into dCS Vivaldi DAC updated with current 2.2 software. Made a very nice improvement in sound quality over PC based laptop and usb and JRiver.
I occasionally have challenges with my iPad recognizing the NB app for control of my library, now stored on new NAS with SSD's. When using JRiver to control library, my system refuses to play redbook CD files, but does play HDTrack hi-res downloads great.
I'm thinking of getting a ROON server and software, in attempts to use the NB in a better fashion. One option that intrigues me is the Innuos Zenith Mk II, as I don't think I can step up to the SGM player. I'd like to hear from dCS folks if they have experience or thoughts on the Innuos product interfaced to NB via ethernet cable. I have premium Wireworld ethernet cable, and will shortly be trying Sablon ethernet. I like the features described with Innuos, with built in CD ripper, and library organizer, and fixing meta data, as I have wav files that when transfered to NAS don't have data to allow me to search files and play.
I'd also like to hear other recommendations to allow me to more fully enjoy my stored library on NAS thru the NB, instead of JRiver on laptop. I was unable to start with upsampler, or clock, but one of those options will be in my future. From reading above, it seems that clock might be better next step.
Thanks much for your suggestions and recommendations.
Best,
Bob
rig: Venture Excellence III speakers with ribbon tweeters, Veloce Litho II battery tubed pre, Hegel H-30 stereo amp, dCS Vivaldi DAC 2.2, NB, Transparent cables, JL 113 sub, PS audio P 5 and Equi-tech 1.5 balanced power conditioner, ass't PC's.

moby2004

Jan 21, 2018
Hello

I can't comment on the Innuos as I have never tried it ( but I would like to ).
I have a Melco which is providing many similar features ( but no Roon,no software ) and compared to the Synology NAS I was using before it is providing much more dynamics and clarity.
I had the NB on demo at home ( I finally got the upsampler ) and it was a very good match with the Melco ( so probably as well with Innuos ).
Also Antipodes is releasing some new models which might fit your needs as well but not much reviews for the time being.
Alex

mribob

May 8, 2017
Agoura, CA
Moby;
Thanks for your helpful response. Question: its not clear from your response if you still are using the Synology NAS as music storage, with Melco and Upsampler, or did you transfer your files to different media?
I have a Synology NAS, and am trying to migrate from USB and laptop/JRiver to better sounding digital storage/playback with quality Ethernet, hence the NB. I am hoping ROON will meet my needs for ease of use, and better SQ on playback.
How much of an improvement in your rig was the Upsampler vs NB? Are you upsampling all your files vs native resolution?
Appreciate the response.
Bob

moby2004

Jan 21, 2018
All my files are transferred to the Melco. My Nas is used as a backup only ,not used any longer during music playback.
For NB vs Upsampler comparison :
- for the upsampler part this is not totally comparable as NB can only downsample if I remember correctly. Upsampling is bringing more clarity, transparency depending on the recording as well.
-.for the usb or Ethernet input I did not make any critical comparison but I didn't notice any significant difference between both.
Also my system is a bit complicated as I have a Trinnov optimizer to be inserted in the chain.
The ideal setup for me would be to hv both upsampler and NB but well let's see if I keep the transport or not...

Pol

Aug 22, 2017
Italy
All my music goes from the Aurender via usb to the upsampler. Tried via ethernet or pc but, in my system, this is BY FAR the best way I experienced so far to feed the system.
Moreover the aurender app is incredibly easy and intuitive to use.
Cheers
Paolo

ksalno

Mar 29, 2015
Any word on when the Vivaldi stack will get the MQA capability that's been out for the Rossini for a while now?

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
Their website stated that it was due in December, but they didn't say which year! :)

ksalno

Mar 29, 2015
I recently moved a CAPS server out of my audio rack into another room and have been using both Roon and JRiver MC23 to stream to my Upsampler. Tonight I noticed something strange. DSD does not play gapless. At the end of each track from the same album, the Upsampler will pause, I can hear relays switching as is the sample rate was changing, and then it will start to play but the first second or two of the song is cut off. I can play the same album with Roon and this behavior does not happen, so I assume it has something to do with the way dCS has implemented DLNA in the Upsampler. This only happens with DSD files (dsf), PCM albums play fine. I first I assumed the problem was with JRiver but I tried streaming to some other DLNA enabled devices like a PS Audio DAC and another PC with MC23 at a renderer and neither of them exhibit this behavior, so it seems peculiar to the Vivaldi.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Karl

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I recently moved a CAPS server out of my audio rack into another room and have been using both Roon and JRiver MC23 to stream to my Upsampler. Tonight I noticed something strange. DSD does not play gapless. At the end of each track from the same album, the Upsampler will pause, I can hear relays switching as is the sample rate was changing, and then it will start to play but the first second or two of the song is cut off. I can play the same album with Roon and this behavior does not happen, so I assume it has something to do with the way dCS has implemented DLNA in the Upsampler. This only happens with DSD files (dsf), PCM albums play fine. I first I assumed the problem was with JRiver but I tried streaming to some other DLNA enabled devices like a PS Audio DAC and another PC with MC23 at a renderer and neither of them exhibit this behavior, so it seems peculiar to the Vivaldi.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Karl

I have from time to time. But with Roon. Turned out to be config issues like "resynch" in roon that I had set wrong. Might be best to send a note to your dealer or dCS support and see if they have a answer in a knowledge base.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Known issue with Roon. Not sure about anything else

Set your resync delay to 3000ms via the Roon audio device setting

ksalno

Mar 29, 2015
I’m not having any issue with DSD gapless via Roon. My problem is with JRiver MC23 and only with the Vivaldi DAC, other DACs that support DLNA work fine. As suggested, I will try dCS support.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

ksalno

Mar 29, 2015
Good news. They're way ahead of some other UK companies in getting their software out. Chord is still struggling to get the Poly to work.

ksalno

Mar 29, 2015
Good news. They're way ahead of some other UK companies in getting their software out. Chord is still struggling to get the Poly to work.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Jimmy! :D

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing