Magico S1

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
View attachment 4743

Featuring a uniquely contoured cabinet drawing design cues from the MINI and M6, the S1 utilizes the world’s first monocoque 3/8? thick, 12” diameter extruded aluminum loudspeaker enclosure,
minimizing diffraction effects, internal resonance, and damping requirements. At only 9 inches deep and available in an array of Magico’s new M-COAT® paint blends,
the S1 will fit effortlessly into any listening environment, making it the most versatile and accessible Magico product to date.

The floor-standing, two-way, S1 incorporates an entirely new 7” Magico Nano-Tec® Midbass driver with the same beryllium tweeter featured in the S5, making it capable of astonishing output.
The S1’s new 7” Midbass dual-neodymium underhung motor system with pure titanium voice coil-former is powerfully efficient and low in distortion.

Specifications

Driver Complement: 1 X 1” MB30 Tweeter, 1 X 7” M390 Mid-Woofer
Sensitivity: 86dB
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Frequency Response: 32 Hz – 50 kHz
Recommended Minimum Power: 50 Watts
Dimensions: 43? H x 8.5? D x 9.75? W (109 cm x 22 cm x 25 cm)
Weight: 95 lbs. (43 kg.)

Pricing and Availability

The US Retail Price of the Magico S1 will start at $12,600/pair.
Delivery will begin in Q4 2012.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
index.jpg

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
It all depends on the music selection and volume levels.

Mark Jones

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 9, 2014

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I've seen large Magicos in small rooms and now small Magicos in very large rooms. I had thought that speaker selection was fairly room size dependent. Perhaps not so much with a sealed cabinet design. Nice to see another Magico/Pass combination.

Unfortunately there are no simple rules - each pair of speaker/room seems a different case. I have found that most of the time the remaining system is as much important in this matching game as the room and the speakers. Being sealed or vented is not a factor per se IMHO.

The generally lower than average efficiency of some Magico's does not help, as it excludes most amplifiers.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
The generally lower than average efficiency of some Magico's does not help, as it excludes most amplifiers.

I believe this is a bit of a myth (except for Q5 which need tons of power). My S1 and Q1 have no problem being driven by my Dartzeel. The S5 has no problem being driven by a Vitus SIA-025 (only 25W in class A).
From my experience, it is more that Magico speakers have a much lower distortion than most speakers (as proved by Soundstage measurements), which pushes people to hear louder than they thought (as I experienced taking some SPL measurements)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I believe this is a bit of a myth (except for Q5 which need tons of power). My S1 and Q1 have no problem being driven by my Dartzeel. The S5 has no problem being driven by a Vitus SIA-025 (only 25W in class A).
From my experience, it is more that Magico speakers have a much lower distortion than most speakers (as proved by Soundstage measurements), which pushes people to hear louder than they thought (as I experienced taking some SPL measurements)

The amplifiers you refer are not typical - and only reinforce my point that you must choose them carefully. Both the DartZeel and the Vitus are considered able to sound louder than expected from manufacturer specifications.

And IMHO the second sentence is just an audiophile myth. Excellent systems do not invite you to listen very loud, except for rock or electronic music.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

This is my experience also. Even with my small Magico two-ways, I try to listen at close to realistic levels (excluding symphonic or rock music) and this is not so easy with some other speakers. Lower distortion leads to less fatigue, especially at higher volumes, and allows one to listen louder. And the newer aluminum Magico speakers have even less distortion than the older wooden models. I recently heard a solo cellist play in a medium size room to a small audience. It was loud. A piano in someone's living room can also be quite loud. One needs a low distortion system to accurately play back music at realistic levels.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing