Magico Fans: Big News: The new S1 floorstander...$12,600

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I would think you would need a transmission line enclosure to get down that low. Like the Acoustic Zen Adagio's.

I had Aerial Acoustics model 6 speakers similar in size to the S1's. They went down to 40 hz and were ported. They were 86db into 6 ohms nominal. I used a Parasound A21 at 250 WPC into 8 ohms and it still ran out of gas if I really pushed them. In a small room they were fine most of the time.

Sean

trponhunter

Apr 30, 2012
32 hz is not the real story, as it is not specified how far down it is at 32hz. However, what's more important in a 2 way design is how authoritative it is down to 50 or 60. Even if it does the mid 30's - it will be at greatly reduced output. The law of physics cannot be defied - even by Alon.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
without knowing what the X-max and oher parameters of the driver are we can only speculate.. 7 inch with the appropriate travel could go low in, again, apropriate enclosure. It doesn't have to be ported ... I also thik that 200 watts would be minimum with more the better. Since I am of the philosophy to always use subs, the lower limit wouldn't be such a problem, I woudl like to know how gracefully it rolls off though you don't need the woofer distorting with high level of low frequencies I guess the designer thought about that but ...

wgerman

Jul 4, 2012
The tweeter is from the Q series but the7 inch mid is new. I guess I am wondering whats the difference between this and the Q1. That will be an interesting comparo.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The tweeter is from the Q series but the7 inch mid is new. I guess I am wondering whats the difference between this and the Q1. That will be an interesting comparo.

The cabinet is the biggest difference..the Q1 is all aluminum and weighs 25lbs more than the floorstanding S1 with the stands.

I still don't get two way floor standers.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The cabinet is the biggest difference..the Q1 is all aluminum and weighs 25lbs more than the floorstanding S1 with the stands.

I still don't get two way floor standers.

They have the potential to go lower, image the same, take up the same footprint and best of all, you no longer need stands. Good solution for folks with smaller rooms and who are more into imaging. This format is popular in Europe and Asia but hasn't really caught on in the USA where living spaces are larger.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing