Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stereophile finally reviews a Martin Logan - The Montis. (What is a Montis?)

Stereophile finally reviews a Martin Logan - The Montis. (What is a Montis?)

After many years of absence, there is a Martin Logan write up in the latest Stereophile. Positive review overall, but the writer does nit pick on the imaging of the speaker. However, he does not pick up on the relative dynamic weakness in the midrange of an electrostatic panel to a dynamic driver.

Also, what the heck is a Montis? I looked it up in the urban dictionary and one of the definitions was quite colorful. Makes me wonder if the ML marketing department was aware...

The current ML product (pretty much everything from the Summit going forward) is actually very good in the midrange dynamics area. These are all speakers you can play Metallica on if you've got enough amplifier power. Not as tonally pure as a full range ESL, but they give away precious little.

The weakness of the Montis are far outweighed by it's strengths.
    Publisher: TONEAudio Magazine
    Contributor: The Robb Report, Fidelity

Quote Originally Posted by caesar View Post
    Also, what the heck is a Montis? I looked it up in the urban dictionary and one of the definitions was quite colorful. Makes me wonder if the ML marketing department was aware...
    Hahaha, I just looked it up as well

Perhaps they mean to market a subwoofer to partner with it. They can call it the "Pythis"
    Classical music enthusiast. System photos here.

I am considering either a Montis or Summit X, but have some concern about the integration of the panel and the woofer(s). Any thoughts and or solutions?
    Russ The Mobiusman

Integration in the Montis and Theos is very, very good. They use an active crossover for the bass driver, which means they can fine tune the impulse response and frequency blend quite accurately.

In some ways, these are better than the Summit X, blending of panel to woofer being one.

As for capabilities and imaging, if you really want to hear an ML do it's thing, make sure you learn how to treat the room and position the speakers. When well done, they absolutely rock, I play Porcupine Tree DVD-A's through my setup at concert levels. And with correct treatments, they actually have uncanny imaging, including a much wider soundstage than otherwise.

Anyone getting the head-in-vise one listening position result just has not set it up right.
    - Jonathan
    My System

Quote Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
    Integration in the Montis and Theos is very, very good. They use an active crossover for the bass driver, which means they can fine tune the impulse response and frequency blend quite accurately.

In some ways, these are better than the Summit X, blending of panel to woofer being one.

As for capabilities and imaging, if you really want to hear an ML do it's thing, make sure you learn how to treat the room and position the speakers. When well done, they absolutely rock, I play Porcupine Tree DVD-A's through my setup at concert levels. And with correct treatments, they actually have uncanny imaging, including a much wider soundstage than otherwise.

Anyone getting the head-in-vise one listening position result just has not set it up right.
    I never quite got the head-in-vice thing from MLs, but I did get a very noticeable change in FR off axis. Depending on how they were set up, FR could change dramatically when you just stood up (the smaller models). I tried them set up in our showroom many ways, including set up by the ML guy. But the best I ever heard was in the listening room of a customer who had substantial room treatments behind them and at the point of first reflections.

Tim
    In high-end audio, you can't even fight an opinion with the facts.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]

I don't agree at all. The bass depends just as any speaker, despite being "self-amplified," on the amplifier. I'd like to hear anyone complain about the blending between the drivers with the Matthew-James amplifiers. No one that's heard them in my system has.

Quote Originally Posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    I don't agree at all. The bass depends just as any speaker, despite being "self-amplified," on the amplifier. I'd like to hear anyone complain about the blending between the drivers with the Matthew-James amplifiers. No one that's heard them in my system has.
    Not sure I understand what you're getting at here, Myles. Are you saying that the integration of a subwoofer with the rest of the speakers in the system is entirely dependent on the sub's amp? That can't be what you're saying. I must be misunderstanding...

Tim
    In high-end audio, you can't even fight an opinion with the facts.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Andre Marc's Avatar

I was utterly thrilled with the Ethos. I will be an unhappy camper when they go back to the factory...
    http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-lo...rs-review.html
    Andre Marc
    Avrev
    tonepublications

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk View Post
    Not sure I understand what you're getting at here, Myles. Are you saying that the integration of a subwoofer with the rest of the speakers in the system is entirely dependent on the sub's amp? That can't be what you're saying. I must be misunderstanding...

Tim
    What I'm saying is that the Summit-Xs come with their own bass amplifier. One would then expect the bass to be largely independent of the "main" amplifier driving the rest of the speaker but that's not the case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast