Velodyne - Broken!! Exploded Fuses!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey Guys,

My system had never sounded better than yesterday due to some recent tweaks...flipped on the Velodyne DD18. Blam! The fuses exploded...i opened the back and there were just the caps and broken glass. Called Velodyne...put another set in...immediately tripped the breaker switch and the new fuses went black.

I am taking it in for repair...and meanwhile, i am seriously bummed. Even my fiancee said 'system sounds lighter'...plus, when it comes back...i will have lost all my settings!!!!!!!...aaahhhh!

Then again...while it's probably is a short in the amp or something 'relatively' inexpensive...i wonder if this is an opportune time to consider trading in for an upgrade? heheheh...easy to do the new DD18+, or a second hand 1812...i know, many will say JL Audio Gothams.

Any thoughts on: 1) what the heck happened with my sub given that its been perfect for 6 years, and 2) repair or upgrade...if so, to what?

thanks.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Hey Guys,

My system had never sounded better than yesterday due to some recent tweaks...flipped on the Velodyne DD18. Blam! The fuses exploded...i opened the back and there were just the caps and broken glass. Called Velodyne...put another set in...immediately tripped the breaker switch and the new fuses went black.

I am taking it in for repair...and meanwhile, i am seriously bummed. Even my fiancee said 'system sounds lighter'...plus, when it comes back...i will have lost all my settings!!!!!!!...aaahhhh!

Then again...while it's probably is a short in the amp or something 'relatively' inexpensive...i wonder if this is an opportune time to consider trading in for an upgrade? heheheh...easy to do the new DD18+, or a second hand 1812...i know, many will say JL Audio Gothams.

Any thoughts on: 1) what the heck happened with my sub given that its been perfect for 6 years, and 2) repair or upgrade...if so, to what?

thanks.
Bummer. I think knowing what you have, sorta, that you should consider this an opportunity for......
what Steve said.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
haaah!!!! I was waiting for Steve to weigh in! I will have the discussion with the dealer tomorrow!!! How easy are they to calibrate? the Velodyne is complicated, but once you get used to it...exceptionally versatile!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
A-N-E-M-I-C!!! killing me...have emailed the dealer and will try to drop off the Velodyne for repair tomorrow...hope they can secure a trial upgrade sub quickly! ;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
haaah!!!! I was waiting for Steve to weigh in! I will have the discussion with the dealer tomorrow!!! How easy are they to calibrate? the Velodyne is complicated, but once you get used to it...exceptionally versatile!

you only calibrate them once

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
you only calibrate them once

True, although i have found that fine tuning takes a lot longer to get it just right...but perhaps that is because the first generation of automatic calibration was not very good...and it required a lot of post-automatic 'manual calibration'. Even Velodyne told me today the current generation of automatic calibration is far better.

On the Gotham...did you just press the automatic calibration and then leave it?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
As for AROM-automatic room optimization you use the supplied microphones and set it once. To get the subs dialed in however took me almost 3 months

ughh...yeah, that what's i thought...ok...well, i suppose the first thing to do is see if i can get someone to bring it around for an audition. thanks, Steve!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
LLoyd - As you know I had the same DD18 some years back, and as good as it is, the Wilson Benesch Torus sub is outstanding! never heard a better sub in my life (but maybe you might need two of this)

http://wilson-benesch.com/2010/06/torus/

Thanks! Good review! I have met Roy Gregory and communicated with him on a number of occasions, and have a lot of respect for him.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
G-O-T-H-A-M

you'll never look back

What is the difference between one Gotham G-213 and TWO Fathom F113s?

Consider this: The TWO fathoms have more RMS power than ONE Gotham (2 x 2500 watts compared to 3800 watts) and from what I gather on their website, the same woofers. Plus you can purchase THREE F113 Fathoms for the price of one Gotham--$12000. So you can have three woofers instead of two, 7500 watts vs only 3800 plus, and this is important, you can space three Fathoms around the room for a better response than one Gotham which obviously will be in one place.

To me, this is a no brainer.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Agreed, I am a proponConsider this: The TWO fathoms have more RMS power than ONE Gotham (2 x 2500 watts compared to 3800 watts) and from what I gather on their website, the same woofers. Plus you can purchase THREE F113 Fathoms for the price of one Gotham--$12000. So you can have three woofers instead of two, 7500 watts vs only 3800 plus, and this is important, you can space three Fathoms around the room for a better response than one Gotham which obviously will be in one place.

Same here ... Same here

+1

Much better ideas.. Guaranteed better response in the bass with three subwoofers...Set up is much more complicated else The very best solution... The optimum solution.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area

Consider this: The TWO fathoms have more RMS power than ONE Gotham (2 x 2500 watts compared to 3800 watts) and from what I gather on their website, the same woofers. Plus you can purchase THREE F113 Fathoms for the price of one Gotham--$12000. So you can have three woofers instead of two, 7500 watts vs only 3800 plus, and this is important, you can space three Fathoms around the room for a better response than one Gotham which obviously will be in one place.

+2 as long as you have room to place them.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Who said anything about one measly Gotham? :)

What ever happened to that fan driven woofer from Bruce Thigpen?

Steve Williams

The TRW is indeed something to fetch out the lowermost octave. Only time I ever heard it, I had motion sickness for hours afterwards. Every bit as good as a California earth quake

Steve Williams

The TRW is indeed something to fetch out the lowermost octave. Only time I ever heard it, I had motion sickness for hours afterwards. Every bit as good as a California earth quake

Steve Williams

I agree completely and will be doing such in my new gig

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Lloyd, sorry to hear the news.
As an alternative to the Gotham(s), you might want to try a REL Gibraltar. I heard these the other day and they are IMPRESSIVE. In a larger room they would be my first choice along with the already mentioned WB Torus.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

It is the amount of room at the moment that stops me from doing this...plus, if i get one Gotham (for now)...and i can then go to 2 later (hehehehe...). In any event, i need to get my Velodyne fixed first, and then figure out if it is a trade or a hold onto it (and get a second sub when i've got the room.)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing