How does B&W Nautilus compare to the best of today?

hexx

Aug 13, 2017
Nautilus doesn't sound good with Classe. Back in 2002 (IIRC) when I was working in Hi-Fi business we had a loaner from B&W for a hifi show (we were authorised distributor of B&W and all the family of brands that go with it - Classe, Rotel to name a couple).

Luckily for me, we got them some 2-3 weeks before the show so we had enough time to try them out with various amps and from what was available to us, they sounded best with McIntosh amps.

When paired with the right equipment and placed properly in the room (our room was large, 70m2) they're truly fantastic on all levels. I used to come at night to have a listen on very low volumes as well as during a day hammering them with extremely high volumes. I played all kinds of music, well and not so well recorded ones and out of speakers I've heard so far (and quite a few of them more expensive) I'd still pick snails just because they were so listenable. Haven't heard the ones with diamond tweeter but one of our customers have had his upgraded and was very happy. Just my 2p from the road down the memory lane.

Last edited:
Reactions: Young Skywalker

kkfan

Jan 3, 2016
Now that it has been several years since this question was asked, I thought I’d bump it up to see whether anyone has heard these recently. The OP’s question still remains valid, IMO.

TIA.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing