Power cords - do they really make a difference, other than potentially reduce noise?

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
I sometimes use my iMac display routed from the Mac to the HDTV via DisplayPort-to-HDMI.

When I tried my own AF Filter Box and plugged my computer in it (but not the TV, hadn't though of that at all), the image became clearer (the fonts were more legible). This was unexpected but fun to observe.

Ideally, I should re-do all my power cords for the video side of my equipment too.

I couldn't give you a definitive answer. I would suggest you replace the power receptacle that everything is plugged into as a first step to see if it helps. I think Mapleshade, MIT and Furman have some nice ones for less than $150. Make sure you get a 30 day audition period.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Regen is good for extreme cases, some people find they limit dynamics when used with amps but others not so much. A friend of mine is using one in a low-power/hi-efficiency system with good results and prefers it over top of the line Shunyata. The regen should also protect your gear from surges, which most audiophile conditioners do without entirely.

I've had a few customers tell me my power cables improve video, but my 58" Panasonic plasma has a very deep IEC socket that only the stock power cable can make a connection with.

I'd consider using Furutech receptacles instead of hospital grade... while the grip with HG receptacles is reassuring they also scratch right through the plating on AC plugs. The Furutech GTX receptacles are expensive but well worth it imo.

I completely agree about receptacles. In addition to Furman I like the MIT and Mapleshade receptacles. BTW DaveC congrats on the nice review in avrev.com!

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
How do Power Cords perform all this good stuff when they (at least, the hot and neutral leads) spend most of their time isolated from the equipment circuitry via rectifier diodes in the non-conducting state?

Based on my limited experience with electrical and mechanical energy I suspect that perhaps all sonic improvements are ultimately the result of improved efficiencies and lowered resistance. e.g. less friction, less heat, less wasted energy, more trueness, less distortions, longer MTBF rates, less energy required, etc, etc.

If that is true (and it is) then it stands to reason that improved quality of conductive materials and connections and cryogenic treatments of electrical parts should all result in lowered resistance and thus improve electric current flow with fewer distortions.

Moreover, since electrical parts and wire vibrate to one degree or another when current is passing thru, some wire and dialectric combinations will inherently reduce a wires ability to freely vibrate and thus reduce some of that associated noise than other wire/dialectric combinations.

Bottom line is, whatever it takes to reduce a playback system's noise floor is what allows more of the music to become audible above the noise rather than remain inaudible below the noise floor.

But for the most part, power cables in and of themselves usually only muster minor audible improvements since they in and of themselves can do little or nothing to cleanse, purify, or condition the substantial and universally noisy AC coming in from the street. Superior line conditioners are completely different beast when it comes to sonic improvements and for which no power cable should ever be remotely close. If indeed the line conditioner is a superior design.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I couldn't give you a definitive answer. I would suggest you replace the power receptacle that everything is plugged into as a first step to see if it helps. I think Mapleshade, MIT and Furman have some nice ones for less than $150. Make sure you get a 30 day audition period.

I'm not looking for any answer, I already know! :D

I totally agree with you that the power receptacle can also make a big difference but I have built my own AC Filter box so I don't need to buy anything from MIT, Mapleshade or Furman. I like MIT's approach of parallel filtering though I have not heard it. I know Furman is well regarded too.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Power conditioners... well, I was going to explain this but I think you're playing dumb. It's obviously possible to filter higher frequency noise from 50-60 Hz AC without having any significant effect on transient response. Power cables are going to "filter" a lot less than conditioners, filter in quotes because a power cable really isn't a filter in any significant way so the RLC values of power cable are probably not responsible for any limitation of transients. Other factors are though, the cheap molded plugs are a prime culprit in limiting instantaneous current available. The quality of the contacts is one of the most important factors of a power cable, maybe the most important.

No, I don't think everyone has the same hearing or the same quality of system that would allow minor differences in cable capacitance to be audible because it effects the highest frequencies most. But if you're interested it's not hard to demonstrate to yourself. You could literally add a capacitor to the cable, or you could make 2 identical cables, say a simple twisted pair, and put a shield that is grounded on one or both ends on one of the cables. The shield will increase capacitance enough that you might be able to hear a difference. To many people the difference is easily audible and is described in almost exactly the same way by everyone who has experienced this.

Wow, DaveC. Maybe you've been playing dumb yourself until now? For the first time, I've now read one of your posts that sounded reasonable. And though I probably still disagree with maybe half of what you say here, you are to be commended for your articulate response as though you are indeed an industry expert.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir, have you ever visited Shunyata and spoken with Calin Gabriel? He will answer your questions, and clear up your misunderstandings. They are a ferry boat ride across from Seattle.
I have indeed. They were very gracious hosts and I had a wonderful time there. I have been remiss in not posting my pictures of my visit. BTW, there was no misunderstanding to clear up.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Wow, DaveC. Maybe you've been playing dumb yourself until now? For the first time, I've now read one of your posts that sounded reasonable. And though I probably still disagree with maybe half of what you say here, you are to be commended for your articulate response as though you are indeed an industry expert.

And is your post an example of an "articulate" response or are you just playing dumb too? What does this have to do with power cords? Post #213 was much better.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

It's just that I won't engage in conversation with you and you're upset. Sorry, time to grow up and stop holding grudges. IMO, you badly need a psychologist to help you deal with your issues. I can't believe you haven't been banned yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insult#Backhanded_compliment

Backhanded compliment

A backhanded compliment, also known as a left-handed compliment or asteism, is an insult that is disguised as a compliment. Sometimes, a backhanded compliment may be inadvertent. However, the term usually connotes an intent to belittle or condescend.[6]

A backhanded compliment may fool the listener, but the compliment remains "backhanded" because the speaker is being intentionally slighting and insulting. In some cultures, backhanded compliments are considered a genteel or polite way of expressing disdain.[citation needed]

Some examples of backhanded compliments may be:

"I did not expect you to ace that exam. Good for you." (Implying that you aren't very smart.)[7]
"That skirt makes you look far thinner." (Implying that you're too fat.)[7]
"I wish I could be as straightforward as you, but I always try to get along with everyone." (the implication here is that you're too bold or overbearing.)[7]
"I like you. You have the boldness of a much younger woman." (Implying that you are old)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
We're sensitive, all of us. A simple word misinterpreted and we're swimming in the ocean. :b

Lol, that's one of the reasons the topic is the guide. Many members here have adopted powered AC chords, and they're very happy...perfecto...they are humans and deserved all the respect. Others cannot afford power chords...they're human too and they too deserved all the respect the same.

The word "dumb", lol, from that movie with Jim Carrey. :b ...The first original one.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
It's just that I won't engage in conversation with you and you're upset. Sorry, time to grow up and stop holding grudges. IMO, you badly need a psychologist to help you deal with your issues. I can't believe you haven't been banned yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insult#Backhanded_compliment

Backhanded compliment

A backhanded compliment, also known as a left-handed compliment or asteism, is an insult that is disguised as a compliment. Sometimes, a backhanded compliment may be inadvertent. However, the term usually connotes an intent to belittle or condescend.[6]

A backhanded compliment may fool the listener, but the compliment remains "backhanded" because the speaker is being intentionally slighting and insulting. In some cultures, backhanded compliments are considered a genteel or polite way of expressing disdain.[citation needed]

Some examples of backhanded compliments may be:

"I did not expect you to ace that exam. Good for you." (Implying that you aren't very smart.)[7]
"That skirt makes you look far thinner." (Implying that you're too fat.)[7]
"I wish I could be as straightforward as you, but I always try to get along with everyone." (the implication here is that you're too bold or overbearing.)[7]
"I like you. You have the boldness of a much younger woman." (Implying that you are old)

You sure are a smart feller, DaveC, especially when it comes to discerning types of compliments. One would have to get up awfully early in the morning to pull the wool over your eyes.

If you've refused to engage me, you hid it well. For until now I thought it was I who refrained from engaging you because of your general lack of knowledge and understanding (but not your lack of words) toward achieving even reasonable performance levels of a playback system.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Gentlemen, please refrain from any further personal commentary toward one another or agree to disagree and move on.

Tom

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I have not read this thread. I can postulate (and have measured) things a power cord can and cannot do. I do want to note that, although the line frequency is 60 Hz (or 50 Hz depending on your locality), the bandwidth (frequency range) of current spikes can be much, much higher. Not usually RF high, though SMPS (switch-mode power supplies) do reach above the AM band, but current bandwidth even for a linear supply can reach well into the audio band (100's of Hz or more). A large inductor (choke) in series with the power line that is used to filter HF noise, can also reduce peak current, a potential problem for something like a power amplifier. Inductors using ferrite cores, which provide much more inductance for given volume (i.e. you can make a smaller choke with higher inductance) also have the problem of core saturation; large current spikes can saturate the core, causing big voltage spikes and a collapse of filtering.

See e.g. http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?15198-Power-Supply-Bandwidth&p=275474#post275474

IME larger power cords offer lower voltage drop but the limitation is the wires inside your house to the socket (the "last meter is the first the component sees" argument fails since the power must come from the wall) and the contact resistance of the plug and jack on the power cable. Where the "last meter" argument makes at least a little sense is when the cable provides a better (safety) ground, and for shielded cables and those with built-in filters that can reduce EMI/RFI (noise/interference) right at the point of service. The former can help reduce ground loops and noise; the latter will help if you have a noisy environment and the component has poor noise (EMI, RFI) rejection. The latter also helps if the component itself is a noise source (SMPS' again being an example) and the cord can help shield other components by preventing EMI/RFI radiation.

FWIWFM - Don

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
The quick and dirty way I use for checking possible impacts in this area is to connect components of the system via extremely long extension cords; if the electricals in the gear are robust then this should have zero audible effect - but it always does, meaning that the power supplies and filtering are not good enough. Just playing with this cheap and easy technique, in all sorts of configurations, can tell one a lot about where there's potential for improving things ...

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
How do Power Cords perform all this good stuff when they (at least, the hot and neutral leads) spend most of their time isolated from the equipment circuitry via rectifier diodes in the non-conducting state?

Some people tell us that part of the job of the power cables is just getting rid of the noise created by the rectifier diodes. And no, diodes spend a significant time in the conducting state. Besides, diodes have intrinsic capacitance (even higher when in the non conducting state ...) , significant when you are addressing RF interference.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing