Dynavector XV-1s

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have VTF set at 1.87 grams and I think it sounds great. I have to admit my ignorance at Christian's suggestion that I have to adjust the sra/vta correctly for the scale before I set the weight. How do you compensate for that?

What Christian is saying is the VTF will vary with arm height. So as you adjust VTA/SRA, the weight will change.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What Christian is saying is the VTF will vary with arm height. So as you adjust VTA/SRA, the weight will change.

Yup. If the weight is set first and the height is lowered and you measure again you will find the VTF has increased. :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
So how do you get out of the loop? I can only measure the VTF by using the scale.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
You could measure the height of your scale and also the height of an average record. Then if your scale is higher you would need to raise the back of your arm the same height as the difference between your scale and record. After you set the VTF return the arm to the previous height. This is difficult to do with any accuracy on an arm without a VTA dial like your arm. From the picture I saw of your scale it does not look like it is super tall. Another thing you could do is get a TT mat that is shorter in height than your current matt and use it to set the VTF. Or forget all that and set VTF by ear.:)

Sean

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
If i understand the issue it's that a tracking force gauge doesn't take account of record thickness. You'd think they'd have one that had various adjustable levels at the place the stylus rests to correspond to various record thicknesses. But, aren't you just setting an average anyway? I mean, do you readjust VTF everytime you adjust VTA? Or maybe an arm that made both adjustments (VTF and VTA) as part of a single action?

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
If i understand the issue it's that a tracking force gauge doesn't take account of record thickness. You'd think they'd have one that had various adjustable levels at the place the stylus rests to correspond to various record thicknesses. But, aren't you just setting an average anyway? I mean, do you readjust VTF everytime you adjust VTA? Or maybe an arm that made both adjustments (VTF and VTA) as part of a single action?

Bill, an arm that could do what you describe would be interesting. I'm sure it would be very difficult to accomplish. This is only a major issue if the scale is much different in height than the record. It's hard to tell from the picture of MEP's scale exactly how tall it is.

Another thing that changes a little when adjusting VTA is cartridge alignment. The funny thing is change any one parameter and it also effects the others to a small degree.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Bill, an arm that could do what you describe would be interesting. I'm sure it would be very difficult to accomplish. This is only a major issue if the scale is much different in height than the record. It's hard to tell from the picture of MEP's scale exactly how tall it is.

Another thing that changes a little when adjusting VTA is cartridge alignment. The funny thing is change any one parameter and it also effects the others to a small degree.

Although I probably set up hundreds of turntables in the seventies, that wasn't really at the level of refinement that exists today. I admit to bringing in TTT ('turntable techs') to help me, one is a dealer, the others are guys that are just really good at TT set up. I still have my ancient Panasonic stylus gauge and it works. We did a complete 're-set' of the turntable, level, arm, alignment, azimuth, etc. about 3 weeks ago. The Airline allows on the fly VTA and I do use it, not obsessively, but for records of markedly different thicknesses, and occasionally, when a record sounds a little 'off' and I know it can sound better. I think Mike L. posted somewhere, either here or on the Gon that he is basically 'over' constant readjusting of VTA and prefers an arm that has more 'solidity' (for lack of a better word)without an on the fly VTA adjustment for sonic reasons. The VTA adjustment on the Airline is simple as pie, once everything is set-up, and you can zero the vernier dial or whatever it is and then lock the arm. I should really get myself up to snuff on doing this myself, but....

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I saw Mike's post about that. His Telos does not have VTA on the fly. It does have a very solidly built base made out of stainless steel I believe. It seems with tonearms in order to get one thing right you have to sacrifice something else. I have heard his Telos and it is a very fine sounding arm. Maybe if someone made an armboard that was adjustable on the fly that would be a better solution.

I basically adjust VTA for the same reasons as you. Mostly just for record height. If I had an arm I really liked without VTA on the fly I would not worry about it too much.

I prefer to setup and adjust cartridges myself. I am getting better at it as time goes on.:)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Actually, the stock Telos can be modified to allow VTA on the fly....

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The beauty of the graham is the pivot tower bubble level. Raise the arm till it's level on the scale and set your weight. Then when you set the height for the record, if the bubble is level, then you can be assured your tacking weight is the same for the record as it was for the scale. All high end arms should add this great feature, IMO.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
The beauty of the graham is the pivot tower bubble level. Raise the arm till it's level on the scale and set your weight. Then when you set the height for the record, if the bubble is level, then you can be assured your tacking weight is the same for the record as it was for the scale. All high end arms should add this great feature, IMO.

That works only if SRA happens to be correct when the arm is level. IME that is rarely the case.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
That's interesting. I wonder how Joel is implementing that?

From the Durand Tonearms website: http://durand-tonearms.com/Support/Customers Corner/Customers_corner.html

VTA fine adjustment for the Telos™

One of our customers (John de L.) had the idea of drilling a threaded hole through the armboard of his Beat turntable, so he could adjust the VTA more easily. Here is a photo of his set up:

The screw under the armboard reaches up to the bottom of the bearing column; so by turning it one way or the other, he can raise or lower the column, and adjust the VTA very finely. This system will work with any armboard that has free access to the underside. John uses an M5 screw with nylon tip.

We followed up on his idea and installed a similar system on the armboard of a Wave Kinetics NVS:

We used a 1/4-20 set screw with nylon tip (1.5" long). It is essential to use a screw (set screw or else) with a nylon tip for this application. Any other type of screw will damage the bottom of the column and will render the system useless.

The process to modify the VTA is straightforward: loosen the clamp of the bearing column; turn the allen key to raise or lower the column; tighten the bearing column. Repeat until optimal VTA height is reached.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Cool. Thanks for the pics. That looks like a good solution. Could probably put a knob on the screw to make it easier to turn.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Resistive cartridge loading on my Dynavector XV 1s is 30 Ohms . I am currently running a Pass labs XP- 25 Phono Preamp . Sometimes 50 Ohms depending on the recording. My tone arm does not sit level, It rides noticeable higher in the back . ( VTA) VTF 1.82 G. Wondering If the XV 1t is than much better.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Resistive cartridge loading on my Dynavector XV 1s is 30 Ohms . I am currently running a Pass labs XP- 25 Phono Preamp . Sometimes 50 Ohms depending on the recording. My tone arm does not sit level, It rides noticeable higher in the back . ( VTA) VTF 1.82 G. Wondering If the XV 1t is than much better.

The t is a bit different from the s. Better of course would be a matter of taste. The t is harmonically richer and has more punch. Highs are just a little more refined. Had both on 2 separate Grahams with IC-70s into the same phono pre for about 3 months.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Traded in my Graham Phantom 2 for A Basis Audio Vector 4 tone arm. The tone arm cable is a hardwired Tara Labs GT Phono cable . The Vector arm seems to handle my Dynavector much better, a lot less needle talk, better dynamics , deeper bass.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Luv the Dr T XV-1. I have owned them for 12 years now and on my 3rd :D between 1.95 and 2.05gm, but generally about 2gms.

An absolute legendary cartridge

6806311489_d165bb6f03_b.jpg

Last edited:

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Just picked up a next to new ( less than 50 HRS) Dynavector XV1- T . It replaced my XV1-S cartridge. I started to cry it sounds so good. Cartridge loading ended up sounding the best at 50 ohms , on my Pass Labs XP 25 . Still playing with VTA settings.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Just picked up a next to new ( less than 50 HRS) Dynavector XV1- T . It replaced my XV1-S cartridge. I started to cry it sounds so good. Cartridge loading ended up sounding the best at 50 ohms , on my Pass Labs XP 25 . Still playing with VTA settings.

Sweet. You are a lucky boy. I would luv to head the t.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing