Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I do think there is more than a grain of truth to some of the things she said. For example, the point she made about objectivists not trusting their ears. I have read that exact same statement numerous times on this forum from objectivists. I do believe there are ‘hardcore’ objectivists and I also believe that lots of audiophiles have one foot in both camps. It’s not cut and dry.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I do think there is more than a grain of truth to some of the things she said. For example, the point she made about objectivists not trusting their ears.
At least as far as forum arguments go, their position is that they don't trust the *other camp's* ears. :) That is what triggers the food fights. That one person says the other is wrong. Not what they personally believe and don't impose on others....

I have read that exact same statement numerous times on this forum from objectivists. I do believe there are ‘hardcore’ objectivists and I also believe that lots of audiophiles have one foot in both camps. It’s not cut and dry.
Hmmm. You left one out. Hardcore subjectivist. Does that camp not exist?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I remember in the late 70's and 80's, Yamaha and Sony used listening panels to determine what the outcome of their final products would be.

I can imagine the engineers, toiling into the night with S/N ratios, frequency response curves, engineering feats to assemble circuits and testing, sourcing materials etc. being utterly outraged at being sent back to the drawing board by a bunch of flitty aesthetes. Made for some nice sounding products, though.

When the engineeres do 99 percent of the actual work/labor, just to have an armchair quarterback sitting on his duff and rendering profound, earth embracing pronouncements concerning its merits and demerits, it tends to breed bad feelings.

That's kind of how I see the objectivist/ subjectivist thing. One guy does all the work while the other gets to enjoy all the BS.

On the other hand, music is ART, and that does leave the field wide open.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I'm considered a card-carrying, fire-breathing objectivist by many around here, and I trust my ears. I'm just wary of my biases and the effect they can have on my perceptions. Some seem to think that trusting their ears means denying their biases. If you think you can switch between a midfi AV receiver (making this up as I go along...) and the gleaming, beautiful free-standing DAC you've just invested a few grand in with your eyes wide open and not be affected by bias, you're not a subjectivist, you're a fool.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I'm considered a card-carrying, fire-breathing objectivist by many around here, and I trust my ears. I'm just wary of my biases and the effect they can have on my perceptions. Some seem to think that trusting their ears means denying their biases. If you think you can switch between a midfi AV receiver (making this up as I go along...) and the gleaming, beautiful free-standing DAC you've just invested a few grand in with your eyes wide open and not be affected by bias, you're not a subjectivist, you're a fool. Really trust your ears; close your eyes. See what you hear then.

Oh, and by the way, I don't know what kind of fairy dust that lady's been sniffing, but subjectivists are not the live and let live, loving, it's all good sweethearts she paints a picture of. Log onto Computer Audiophile or Audio Asylum or Pink Fish media and make a statement about a modest component, any modest component, measuring better than whatever is the elite thing dujour. Make sure you wear Kevlar. A lot of these guys call themselves subjectivists because the objective data doesn't support their beliefs. That doesn't mean they don't think they're right and everyone who disagrees is wrong.

Tim

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I wonder what Rand would have said. LOL.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hahahahahaha! Good one Don!

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
hehe.

Make note to audition new Lyra cartridge.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Bought, installed, enjoying. Ayn would be proud!

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I am both. In my regular line of work I am a hard nosed objectivist. If the science doesn't pass muster then it's unproven. Because I pay so much attention to the science involved, I am more aware than most of its limitations. What something does in the lab is completely different to the real world. Any blind tests need to have controls in place, otherwise they are meaningless. If you believe in the DBT's that say that MP3's sound the same as CD, or that a 1970's solid state amp is state of the art because DBT's can't show any difference, you are not an objectivist. You are a fool.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I'm considered a card-carrying, fire-breathing objectivist by many around here, and I trust my ears. I'm just wary of my biases and the effect they can have on my perceptions. Some seem to think that trusting their ears means denying their biases. If you think you can switch between a midfi AV receiver (making this up as I go along...) and the gleaming, beautiful free-standing DAC you've just invested a few grand in with your eyes wide open and not be affected by bias, you're not a subjectivist, you're a fool. Really trust your ears; close your eyes. See what you hear then.

Oh, and by the way, I don't know what kind of fairy dust that lady's been sniffing, but subjectivists are not the live and let live, loving, it's all good sweethearts she paints a picture of. Log onto Computer Audiophile or Audio Asylum or Pink Fish media and make a statement about a modest component, any modest component, measuring better than whatever is the elite thing dujour. Make sure you wear Kevlar. A lot of these guys call themselves subjectivists because the objective data doesn't support their beliefs. That doesn't mean they don't think they're right and everyone who disagrees is wrong.

Tim

Name calling and flame throwing are not just "performed" by Computer Audiophile or Audio Asylum or Pink Fish media, they occur on this forum and now even on this thread!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I am both. In my regular line of work I am a hard nosed objectivist. If the science doesn't pass muster then it's unproven. Because I pay so much attention to the science involved, I am more aware than most of its limitations. What something does in the lab is completely different to the real world. Any blind tests need to have controls in place, otherwise they are meaningless. If you believe in the DBT's that say that MP3's sound the same as CD, or that a 1970's solid state amp is state of the art because DBT's can't show any difference, you are not an objectivist. You are a fool.

Agreed.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing