Is there an ethnic, regional, or geographic sound?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Watching the Olympics got me thinking about this. An average kid growing up in Spain will play different sports than a kid from Canada.

How about in audio? American homes are on average larger by at least 1000 sq. ft. than European homes. A sizable difference that could greatly affect the designer going to work.

People talk of a British sound, a German sound, or an American sound. Is there really such a thing? Do designers in different places think differently based on their constraints, cultures, and histories?

andi

Apr 9, 2012
Germany
During the 70s and 80s it was true, I think.

The American sound was bassheavy, the German was concentrated more to the topend, and the British lived in the mids.
With the global market, things changed. The sound has gotten similar.

What not changed is, that most of the big loudspeakers still come from the States, possibly because of the bigger livingrooms.

Andreas

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
During the 70s and 80s it was true, I think.

The American sound was bassheavy, the German was concentrated more to the topend, and the British lived in the mids.
With the global market, things changed. The sound has gotten similar.

What not changed is, that most of the big loudspeakers still come from the States, possibly because of the bigger livingrooms.

Andreas

And there was a East Coast/West Coast "sound" in the US. Was characterized by HP as the ying/yan and tended to brighter, more detailed and thinner (West Coast) and warmer and mellower (East coast). Think most of that has disappeared but still exist to a certain extent.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Absolutely JBL designs speakers for the Asian market that are voiced differently than products sold here.

Rob

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Absolutely JBL designs speakers for the Asian market that are voiced differently than products sold here.

Rob
The thing i always found ironic, at least re Japan, was that despite what i understand to be very limited space/smallish rooms by US standards, the japanese love GIANT horn systems. Gotta love it!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I think that there's definitely a regional sound. Just listen to the newscasters (especially the female ones) from around the world. There is definitely a preference (I cannot imagine that it's a coincidence) as the "better" ones all tend to sound the same. The ones on all the channels of TV in the Pacific Northwest, East Coast, South, Mid West, all sound different. For even more difference (even if you can't understand the language) contrast the voices of the newscasters from Korea with Hong Kong or Japan with Singapore/Malaysia or Sweden with Italy. Definitely very different again. Within the region, there is more commonality and it changes from North to South, and from East to West.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The thing i always found ironic, at least re Japan, was that despite what i understand to be very limited space/smallish rooms by US standards, the japanese love GIANT horn systems. Gotta love it!

small space + directivity = good :)

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
For sure there's some differences when comparing tastes (artistically speaking) in music. And I don't speak about high profile jazz or classical music (which may be more homogeneous around the world) but about pop, rock, dance and so on. I've already found huge differences in music played in bars or clubs when I compare NYC to my old town in Italy.

There is also someone stating that, accordingly, even the gear is conceived to sound differently. Reading Italian audio magazine, it was not unfrequent to read about British sound, American sound, Teutonic sound... and IMHO this was mostly due to bias, such as the British sound is euphonic or the German is cold.
Over the years, I've actually also found the the look per se of the electronics was inducing a bias on the expectations on performance. Examples, Naim sounding traditional and analog, Burmester and Spectral being cold... but the very very best is CJ or Accuphase sounding with a shade of gold :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing