California Audio Show 2012

Sonus

Jul 7, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Hi, Sonus,

Haven't decided yet. If I go, it will be on Saturday, I would drive up from Santa Cruz. We usually only take one car to SC, so my spouse would have to be OK with no car for the day.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
This show seems like a soon to be dinosaur. Only 36 rooms and two months later than the much, much larger show in Newport- Constantine should collaborate with THE Show and try to improve it instead.

The audio show guys have gone overboard imo. Newport, RMAF, and one east coast show (and of course CES) is probably all you need. Newport seems to be stealing volume from RMAF as well.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I guess I will go on up tomorrow. Audiophiles do show up to these prepared to spend money. CAS is an excellent size for seeing and hearing a nice variety of stuff without getting overwhelmed. I enjoyed myself last year.

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca
Heading out there in a few minutes. Any show that has a full-blown MBL setup to take a listen to is ok by me. ;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This show seems like a soon to be dinosaur. Only 36 rooms and two months later than the much, much larger show in Newport- Constantine should collaborate with THE Show and try to improve it instead.

The audio show guys have gone overboard imo. Newport, RMAF, and one east coast show (and of course CES) is probably all you need. Newport seems to be stealing volume from RMAF as well.
I agree Keith.

Much ado about nothing

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

But part of the idea of having regional shows is to support those manufacturers who don't have representation in that area. Hence the Axpona, NYC and Capitol Shows. Then you're going to have a show in Chicago next year. Plus even some smaller ones that you don't hear about.

Another issue is that the cities where you'd like to hold a show like NYC are ridiculously expensive eg. rooms, shipping, etc. and near impossible to make a profit like Stereophile found out. But if you switch to a different, less expensive venue, say LI, NJ, people won't come eg Manhattanites don't cross water.

In the end, admission is inexpensive, rooms aren't that expensive for manufacturers and it's a good day out listening to gear and meeting people :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
But part of the idea of having regional shows is to support those manufacturers who don't have representation in that area. Hence the Axpona, NYC and Capitol Shows. Then you're going to have a show in Chicago next year. Plus even some smaller ones that you don't hear about.

Another issue is that the cities where you'd like to hold a show like NYC are ridiculously expensive eg. rooms, shipping, etc. and near impossible to make a profit like Stereophile found out. But if you switch to a different, less expensive venue, say LI, NJ, people won't come eg Manhattanites don't cross water.

In the end, admission is inexpensive, rooms aren't that expensive for manufacturers and it's a good day out listening to gear and meeting people :)

I know a lot of mfrs who aren't going because of the high expense vs low turn out

Sonus

Jul 7, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
I was there today, nice show especially the BAAS room which is 3000$ and put to shame the majority of the rooms in the show.
Picture to follow.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Battle of the audio shows?

Pistols at ten paces.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi, Sonus,

Haven't decided yet. If I go, it will be on Saturday, I would drive up from Santa Cruz. We usually only take one car to SC, so my spouse would have to be OK with no car for the day.

Wht-Tiish! But haven't you been married a little long for that?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing