6sn7 Drivers

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
The 6sn7 tube is often used as a driver tube for the output stage of many amps. They are used as drivers in my Rogue Audio Stereo 90 amp. As I have long collected this tube,wanted to get an idea of what others are using and try to come up with a consensus on the best 6sn7 drivers.
My favorites (in order of favor):
1. 1952 Sylvania 6sn7GT bottom getter (often called "Bad Boys")
2.Russian metal base "hole-plate" 1578
3. Sylvania 6sn7W black base (have not tried the metal base)
4. Raytheon VT-231 flat black plates mica support rod
5. Tung Sol 6sn7 GTB tall bottle horseshoe getter
6. Sylvania VT-231/ Sylvania 6sn7GT bottom getter
7. RCA 5692 redbase
8. Sylvania 6sn7WGT brown base
9. National Union black glass
10. RCA VT-231
For comparison, my least favorites:
1. Sovtec 6sn7
2. Ken Rad 6sn7gt clear glass
3. GE 6sn7GTB
4.EH 6sn7
5. Sylvania 6sn7GTB yellow or red lable (latter production---the earlier green label GTB's are OK)
6. Sylvania 6sn7GT top getter (much prefer the bottom getter Sylvania 6sn7GT from the 1950's)
Opinions?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Wow. That is some stash of the most sought after 6sn7s on the planet Mendel! Your No.1 is the Holy Grail of sorts. I have only two amps that use 6sn7s. I am partial to your No.5 so that's what I've got. Knut Cornils of Valvet just gifted me with a batch of unmarked russian tubes. I don't know what they are. I will post pics later. I hope you can help me identify them. :)

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
The original Tung Sol GTB is a great tube and maybe the cheapest and easiest to find on the list. Here is an interesting little secret about that tube--it is exactly the same tube as the Tung Sol 6sn7WGT brown base (military tube) that often sells for 2 or 3 times the price! The best GTB ever made IMO.
Please post your photos of the Russian tubes. I have heard good things about even the plastic base ones. The metal base hole plate tubes are right up there with the best ever made.
I had hoped to get more responses and some good tube talk going. Where are all the tubeheads?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I noticed that there are more 9-pinners than octal users here, myself included. I'll take pics tomorrow. Anything I should look out for aside from the base hole plates?

Purity Audio Design 1

Oct 28, 2010
Endicott, NY
www.purityaudiodesign.com
That is a nice list of tubes you have there. We have been looking for a decent 6SN7 tube to supply with our new upper end preamps that use this tube. Is there any current production or easily accessable 6SN7 type you like that sounds have way decent and doesn't cost a fortune.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I didn't see the Sophia Electric on the list, this is a very good tube. Also, as much as I like the old tubes, you never know what you are getting.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
That is a nice list of tubes you have there. We have been looking for a decent 6SN7 tube to supply with our new upper end preamps that use this tube. Is there any current production or easily accessible 6SN7 type you like that sounds have way decent and doesn't cost a fortune.

I don't have much experience with new production 6sn7s. The only positive comments I see are for the new Treasure series or Sophia Electric Chinese tubes, but these are costly. I would suggest the Sylvania 6sn7GTB chrome top. Huge numbers of these tubes were produced and they are still very abundant. Many are branded for Baldwin. I often see large lots of 50 to 100 of these tubes being sold on E-bay. Don't know what quantities you would need, but I do know that they beat the pants off any Sovtec or EH 6sn7 that I have heard.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
I didn't see the Sophia Electric on the list, this is a very good tube. Also, as much as I like the old tubes, you never know what you are getting.

I disagree. I find most quality NOS 6sn7s to be very consistent and to last a long time. My experience with modern reissues is that the sound is often mediocre and they just don't last, often going noisy or even losing their vacuum after only months of use. That said, I have not tried the Sophia Electric.

Purity Audio Design 1

Oct 28, 2010
Endicott, NY
www.purityaudiodesign.com
Thanks for the recommendation Mendel. I'll keep a look out for the Sylvania. One of my favorite 12AU7 tubes was made for Baldwin by Sylvania and they have always treated me well.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Thanks for the recommendation Mendel. I'll keep a look out for the Sylvania. One of my favorite 12AU7 tubes was made for Baldwin by Sylvania and they have always treated me well.

There is a lot of 37 Sylvania marked Baldwin GTBs on E-bay right now. $59 starting bid. Do not know the seller. Sylvania 6sn7 are tough long lasting tubes, and the ones used by Baldwin were always screened for noise and balance.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
After 11 years more of listening (where does the time go?) my preferences (as driver tubes in my modified Rogue Audio amp) are now:
1) Sylvania 6SN7W black base (best all around dynamics, bass power, and resolution )
2) Sylvania 6SN7WGT brown base (previously thought they were too dry, now think they just tell it like it is, similar to the Ws)
3) Sylvania 6SN7GT three hole plate “Badboys” (still love them, but a little more euphoric and less clean than the above two top getter Sylvania’s)
4) Raytheon 6SN7WGT (similar to the first two Sylvania’s, maybe a bit more “slam” but a bit less resolution)
5) Tung Sol 6SN7GTB tall bottle horseshoe getter (Very underrated, great slam and dynamics, good resolution just a notch below the above tubes- still cheap and easy to find)
6) Russian metal base hole-plate 1578 ( super resolution and dynamics, but a little fatiguing at times)
Those are pretty much the only ones I use anymore. After a further 11 years of use being rotated, all my NOS 6SN7 still test as new and sound great, except for one 6SN7W that shorted on me when I was testing it.
Enjoy the roll!

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
After 11 years more of listening (where does the time go?) my preferences (as driver tubes in my modified Rogue Audio amp) are now:
1) Sylvania 6SN7W black base (best all around dynamics, bass power, and resolution )
2) Sylvania 6SN7WGT brown base (previously thought they were too dry, now think they just tell it like it is, similar to the Ws)
3) Sylvania 6SN7GT three hole plate “Badboys” (still love them, but a little more euphoric and less clean than the above two top getter Sylvania’s)
4) Raytheon 6SN7WGT (similar to the first two Sylvania’s, maybe a bit more “slam” but a bit less resolution)
5) Tung Sol 6SN7GTB tall bottle horseshoe getter (Very underrated, great slam and dynamics, good resolution just a notch below the above tubes- still cheap and easy to find)
6) Russian metal base hole-plate 1578 ( super resolution and dynamics, but a little fatiguing at times)
Those are pretty much the only ones I use anymore. After a further 11 years of use being rotated, all my NOS 6SN7 still test as new and sound great, except for one 6SN7W that shorted on me when I was testing it.
Enjoy the roll!
Thank you very much for your initial list and for the revised, time tested new one as well.

Reactions: Mendel

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing