Decoupling Devices and Tube Power supply

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It seems like you and albert both moved away from isolating racks like the GPA (which I currently use for my amps and line stage) to a more rigid stand and then use separate aftermarket decoupling, like the wave kinetics?

Speaking for myself...this is what i have sought to do. 4" inch thick birch ply shelves (400lbs approximately) sitting over massive 1" thick slab of slate. The Nimbus couplers/dampers and the Artesania dampers (on audition) then are applied to the various components.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Speaking for myself...this is what i have sought to do. 4" inch thick birch ply shelves (400lbs approximately) sitting over massive 1" thick slab of slate. The Nimbus couplers/dampers and the Artesania dampers (on audition) then are applied to the various components.
Certainly didn't mean to exclude you, Lloyd, I value your opinion as well (obviously)!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
So, got all the Nimbus stuff set up- it's very good, my reaction is that the aurios managed to tighten and deepen the sound but at the great expense of harshness- the Nimbus couplers don't seem to lend any sort of nastiness to the proceedings under the power supply and also don't sound 'soft' like sorbothane or herbie's do-
I also got a couple of the small HRS damping plates, but even at the smallest size, they just won't work on the Allnic power supply - not enough real estate without covering critical ventilation slots.
I placed them instead on the top, along the outer edges of my lamm L2 line stage head unit (placed to avoid covering the cooling slots) and they do bring down the metal chassis ringing considerably- so there we are; next up, i may give the still point ultra SS a try, only because I'd love to capture or recapture what those aurios did, without the metallic 'bite.'
Sorry you are having subwoofer problems, Lloyd.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
I have my ARC Reference 250 on Stillpoints Ultra 5 with a Stillpoints LP Isolator on top. I initially tried the HRS damping plates (the heavy ones) on top, but they negatively affected micro-dynamics and detail.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have my ARC Reference 250 on Stillpoints Ultra 5 with a Stillpoints LP Isolator on top. I initially tried the HRS damping plates (the heavy ones) on top, but they negatively affected micro-dynamics and detail.

Thanks for the input, dmnc02. I don't know anything about the LP isolator. The Lamm line stage head unit (not its power supply) has a tinny ring to the casing, and the small HRS seem to do the trick, but I've been working on the PS to the Allnic phono stage, and that's where I'm considering the Stillpoint Ultra SS (not sure about the Ultra 5, or whether there is even room for them, that PS is very small- i just checked and the '5' appears to be the same diameter as the Nimbus spacer which i can just manage.). The LP isolator- is that really meant for damping equipment or is it a record clamp?

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
If you have the room for the Ultra 5 (and have no problems with the price), I found them to be in a completely different league from the Ultra SS. For a small extra, you should get the optional bases as well, as they allow for leveling adjustment. The use of the LP Isolator for vibration damping on electronics was suggested to me by Stillpoints. I have them on my CD transport and DAC as well.

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
If you have the room for the Ultra 5 (and have no problems with the price), I found them to be in a completely different league from the Ultra SS. For a small extra, you should get the optional bases as well, as they allow for leveling adjustment. The use of the LP Isolator for vibration damping on electronics was suggested to me by Stillpoints. I have them on my CD transport and DAC as well.
Thanks. I am continuing to experiment, and will report. (Yeah, price is always a consideration- my usual mantra is that it's just cheaper to buy the best, whatever that is- :)

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Bill, Try listening with the cover for the H3000 PS off. That is how I have mine now. Unless you are worried about small children or pets sticking their nose in it. Also makes it easier to change rectifiers.

Sean

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
So, got all the Nimbus stuff set up- it's very good, my reaction is that the aurios managed to tighten and deepen the sound but at the great expense of harshness- the Nimbus couplers don't seem to lend any sort of nastiness to the proceedings under the power supply and also don't sound 'soft' like sorbothane or herbie's do-
I also got a couple of the small HRS damping plates, but even at the smallest size, they just won't work on the Allnic power supply - not enough real estate without covering critical ventilation slots.
I placed them instead on the top, along the outer edges of my lamm L2 line stage head unit (placed to avoid covering the cooling slots) and they do bring down the metal chassis ringing considerably- so there we are; next up, i may give the still point ultra SS a try, only because I'd love to capture or recapture what those aurios did, without the metallic 'bite.'
Sorry you are having subwoofer problems, Lloyd.

Good to hear! I have heard good things about Ultra SS as well, though never tried and am very happy with HRS. As for subwoofer problems...well, i suppose it should either work itself out for not much money...or i get an excuse to look at an upgrade!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Bill, Try listening with the cover for the H3000 PS off. That is how I have mine now. Unless you are worried about small children or pets sticking their nose in it. Also makes it easier to change rectifiers.

Sean
that's a good idea Sean, i used to run my Steelhead (the head unit, not power supply chassis) that way.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Good to hear! I have heard good things about Ultra SS as well, though never tried and am very happy with HRS. As for subwoofer problems...well, i suppose it should either work itself out for not much money...or i get an excuse to look at an upgrade!

did they have that advertising tag line in the UK 'There's always room for Jello..." ?
Sort of the same thing on upgrades.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
did they have that advertising tag line in the UK 'There's always room for Jello..." ?
Sort of the same thing on upgrades.

;)!!

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Initially, I didn't quite believe these things. My dealer managed to convince me to give the cerabase classic a try and I was shocked at the overall improvement (I put them under my speakers). I'll be going back for more. Not cheap though.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Whart- thanks for pointing that out. I'd read the article earlier. Earlier, I wasn't convinced the improvement can be that substantial. Now, I'm a convert!

;) Great!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012

Lloyd: He is not quite ready for the secret handshake and the blood rituals in the basement of one of those Oxford colleges, though. Speaking of which, I wonder if Aleister Crowley was into 'tweaks.'
Non-Sexual Innuendo Disclaimer

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Lloyd: He is not quite ready for the secret handshake and the blood rituals in the basement of one of those Oxford colleges, though. Speaking of which, I wonder if Aleister Crowley was into 'tweaks.'
Non-Sexual Innuendo Disclaimer

Bring them on!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012

Just installed the LP Isolator, but am using it in a radical way- as a record weight! I'll let you know what i think. The big Kuzma uses a heavy screw down clamp.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing