ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Will miss the old man. I called him a friend and in some ways mentored me. Our philosophies are not that far apart on music reproduction. When I was in Graduate school, I would come to his store with not enough to buy one LP, yet spend hours listening to music on the best systems around as if they were my own. he would just turn them on and leave me there for hours ... and I did come regularly :) with my own LPs under my arm .... Not spending a dime... Until I bought from Lyric a Tympani 4... ( I will not tell how much my discount was ..let's call it "substantial") He called me "Kid" 'till the last time I saw him at the store in 2006 I believe. I was with my gray hair and he still called me "Kid"..

I will miss him..

My condolences to his family and loved ones..

I truly am sad about this ...

Rest In Peace Mike

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Mike Kay did so much for the audio business that was not recognized. Lyric was the temple of the High End and everyone who was anyone in HE audio either came there to listen or to try to sell thier products to Lyric. Mike sponsored so many companies and helped them with both his support and his money. I don't believe their would have been a HE without him. He treated me well and I loved going to work there for the 11 or so years that I did. He was like a second father to me and Mike and Katherine always treated me as family. It was because of Lyric and Mike that HE goods got shown, got sold and got reviewed. People want to downplay the sold part but without sales there would have been No Levinson, Koetsu, Magnepan, ARC, M.I.T, Infinity,Sequerra, Cotter, Genesis etc. etc. The list is long and impressive just as Mike was tough, strong, yet sensitive and caring. He loved Lyric, Audio and Music.
Somewhere I hope Mike is resting in peace, maybe in Greece, maybe not but I lift a glass of Chateau Margeaux ,a favorite of his, and toast one of the best men I have ever known.
God Bless you MK!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing