Best Countries to Visit?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have been there probably a dozen times. Usually visiting Samsung (and once or twice LG). Love Kimchee and Korean pickles/side dishes. What did you find awesome Bruce? I never took the time to look around. Just business trips and one or two day stays....

The country is rich in culture from all the way North to the DMZ to the southern most tip where I went rappelling on Cheju Do island. Seoul has the Gyeongbokgung temple, the Seodaemun prison, eat at the top of the Namsan tower, the COEX Mall and aquarium... even the Kimchi museum! All that is just in Seoul. It's becoming more westernized now with your typical western fast food restaurants. When I was there the exchange rate was pretty good. The best thing is that I could stock up on my vinyl collection!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Bob - Congratulations!, travel leaves precious moments and, at least for me, a nice path to reach peace and happiness...gosh! I will ask you for tips next time I plan a vacation time within my country! :)

No sweat Flez, but that was 35 years ago; so I would recommend that you visit the Indians from the mountains to make sure that their world is still unspoil. :b
But must see places are: Palenque, Cozumel, San Cristobal de las Casas, Paracho, Oaxaca, ...
And visit their near jungles as well.

Or even better, go up the mountains of your next door neighbor; Guatemala.
And don't forget to visit Tikal, in the jungle. ...And lake Atitlan, with the three volcanoes.
Climb them too; or at least one of them.
...On a clear day you can see the Atlantic (sun's reflection) and the Pacific ocean!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
New Zealand is by far my favorite destination- if you think zip lining is scary, try this:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IMPsrrOb9SI

:) yes, thats my ghost white, shaky smile before going off a 13 story bridge over an ice blue river. Milford Sound is one of the most beautiful places in the world as well. Two weeks honestly wasnt enough - you need 3-4 to do the entire country.

Im currently in Kauai kickin back- was in Princeville for 5 days, now Kalapaki Bay for the remainder. I plan on doing the big island at some point, but thinking Turkey next year for the history- a bit more difficult to travel there on wheels however.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
New Zealand is by far my favorite destination- if you think zip lining is scary, try this:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IMPsrrOb9SI

:) yes, thats my ghost white, shaky smile before going off a 13 story bridge over an ice blue river. Milford Sound is one of the most beautiful places in the world as well. Two weeks honestly wasnt enough - you need 3-4 to do the entire country.

Im currently in Kauai kickin back- was in Princeville for 5 days, now Kalapaki Bay for the remainder. I plan on doing the big island at some point, but thinking Turkey next year for the history- a bit more difficult to travel there on wheels however.

Keith

I can't believe you did that jump. You certainly have brass cajones. Zip lining in Costa Rica at 400 feet was about all I could take and live to tell about it :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hey Keith, I'm in Oahu now. Headed back home to Manila on Saturday. Say hi to Puff the Magic Dragon for me. ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
True but Maui ain't free ;) :D

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
I've been to Costa Rica 12 times for surf (as well as Barbados, Indonesia, Hawaii, and El Salvador), and all are beautiful in their own way. Sounds like people are talking of adventure visits to these countries, and my suggestion is to get AirAmbulance. My wife broke her back in Mal Pias, jumping off a 50 foot water fall. Was quoted $24000. And $36000. Respectively by independent jet services to get her back to the states. Luckily, we always have AirAmbulance for vacations, just in case. They picked my wife up in Santa Maria at a private hospital, transported her via private Lear jet with a Dr. and 2 nurses to New Hanover Hospital in Wilmington, NC for the grand total of $0.00, AND sent her flowers the next day. Costs is annual and can be used as many times as needed per year. Can procure thru their website. Best investment I ever made. BTW, people in Costa Rica are AWESOME!! We can't ever repay them for their care and love during the week my wife was there recuperating.

cejasar

Feb 10, 2015
Edinburgh, Scotland !!Wow, what a picturesque city. Although it was a 'business' trip, I really had a great time. There is a pub (or more) on every corner and no lack of side streets to explore.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Having been there, I concur. We really enjoyed our time there. While I much prefer London, the food is better in Edinburgh, although watch out for the Haggis, it is not for everyone. Not quite as good as scrapple. Will be heading to Australia hopefully this year. Looking forward to that, except for the plane ride. If you can, visit the Gallapagos, one of the mist mind blowing trips we have ever taken. Hopefully I can convince my wife to go back in the next couple of years.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Hi Amir. We took a cruise on the Celebrity Expidition ship. About 100 passengers. We flew from Philly to Miami and then to Quito. They put you up in a nice hotel in Quito, The Marriott back then. You then fly to the islands from Quito. The return trip was the thing. From the west coast, you probably fly to Mexico City and then to Quito as I recall. I can answer any questions you may have.

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
Vienna is a great city and well worth a visit. A cruise is a great leisurely way to see it and more. Many Danube cruises start in Budapest a city that has a fascinating history including being part of the Ottoman Empire and a stop well worth visiting. Once on the river you'd also stop in Melk (and visit the abbey), Durnstein and several other small towns ending up in Germany Passau, Ravensburg or someplace similar. Ideally you would want to add a side car trip to Munch/Bavaria or Saltzburg Austria making the trip for 10-14 days. Maybe do some driving on an autobahn (Keep your eyes glued to the rearview mirror when you're in the passing lane if you don't want to get run over by a big BMW or Mercedes!).

Despite Johann Strauss' beautiful music composition, the Danube is not blue. It's the second longest river in Europe and a major commercial waterway. It is picturesque though as it wends its way through Hungary, Slovakia, Austria & Germany from Budapest.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Barry. I have done a car trip from Munchen to Saltzburg. Had lots of fun but only a weekend so did not go further. River cruise sounds wonderful. It is in my bucket list.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I visited Tokyo with the famiy a couple of weeks a ago. My second, last time was 1985 which I remembered only Tokyo Disneyland. Immersing myself in the city, taking the subway and using google maps, it was quite an eye opener and an adventure as well. The subway was the most complex I've ever been too, maybe just like NYC but much more orderly despite packed commuters. The whole city is CLEAN. That may even be an understatement. People are friendly and very helpful though they just have a hard time speaking English. I thought this would have improved, but generally, it's tough being lost and asking for directions there. And walking with Google map can be misleading at times too. Department stores are huge and you need to walk huge blocks to go from one to the other. Surprisingly, I still saw Tower Records which had 2 big floors, one for classical music exclusively. Eating is amusing. Vending machines for what you want to eat, press the picture of the dish, and a ticket is dispensed. Show the waiter the ticket and he then asks you to sit and brings you what you ordered. No tips. I have been told they don't want it even if you give them. They feel it's their duty to serve, and that's it. I hardly saw any cop on the streets and everybody follows the traffic lights. It's a highly disciplined society. Spent 1 day in Disney Sea due to the insistence of the kids, and having been to Disney in Orlando and LA, the feeling is a bit strange as all the shows are done in Japanese, with no translations or subtitles. By the end of the 6 day stay in Tokyo, I felt like I can utter a few words myself in Japanese, like ne, as everything seems to end in 'ne'. And 'desu ka', which is pronounced deska. Overall, an enjoyable trip, great soft cone ice creams, great crepes, and of course great Japanese food, it's just a pity I don't eat raw stuff, as my wife told me their sushi was fabulous. Next target, Osaka and Kyoto.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am happy you enjoyed Tokyo Phil. It is one of my favorite countries to visit, only because I am familiar with it (and have many Japanese friends). As a one-time visitor I may not have.

Kyoto is amazing. One of my most favorite cities anywhere. If you are into vegetarian food, it is the mecca. Make sure to go the local market. Fascinating place just to visit. There is a place where they make fresh tofu and let you taste them. Nothing like the stuff we have here. Here are some other pictures from that market:

Favorite pickle store. I love Japanese pickles:

Yummy grilled fish:

This place makes Tamago (Japanese scrambled egg for sushi)

There is a world famous green grocer and restaurant upstairs. Nothing is cheap though. $150 for half a dozen mushrooms!

Don't miss going to the basement floor of department stores. Tons of food to sample and amazing displays like this tea shop:

Some of the most amazing temples are in Kyoto. Here is the water garden from one:

I got a great book that had the top 10 temples in Kyoto. All were must see.

A patiently drawn pattern in sand at another:

Unfortunately Osaka has none of this. The food is great including the family's restaurant where the whole Kobe Beef craze started. But no history and no scenery. If you have a choice, I would skip it and allow all the time in Kyoto.

Reactions: AudioHR

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I am happy you enjoyed Tokyo Phil. It is one of my favorite countries to visit, only because I am familiar with it (and have many Japanese friends). As a one-time visitor I may not have.

Kyoto is amazing. One of my most favorite cities anywhere. If you are into vegetarian food, it is the mecca. Make sure to go the local market. Fascinating place just to visit. There is a place where they make fresh tofu and let you taste them. Nothing like the stuff we have here. Here are some other pictures from that market:

Favorite pickle store. I love Japanese pickles:

Yummy grilled fish:

This place makes Tamago (Japanese scrambled egg for sushi)

There is a world famous green grocer and restaurant upstairs. Nothing is cheap though. $150 for half a dozen mushrooms!

Don't miss going to the basement floor of department stores. Tons of food to sample and amazing displays like this tea shop:

Some of the most amazing temples are in Kyoto. Here is the water garden from one:

I got a great book that had the top 10 temples in Kyoto. All were must see.

A patiently drawn pattern in sand at another:

Unfortunately Osaka has none of this. The food is great including the family's restaurant where the whole Kobe Beef craze started. But no history and no scenery. If you have a choice, I would skip it and allow all the time in Kyoto.

Thanks for the great tips and pictures. Amir. Whets my appetite to go back to Japan. It may be sooner than I think. Yes, the basement foodies are super, it seems it's their 'mark' on department stores. In the Takashimaya basement food section, It's so huge my son was boggled by it's size, all food, cooked and fresh too. And the free tasting, i might get full from them I might not eat lunch. :D I love veges, so Kyoto is next on my list.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If doing Kyoto, I suggest staying at least overnight. A day trip just isn't enough. IMO Narra can be a great day trip Phil. Too bad you don't drink. I hear the distillery tours are awesome! ....hic.... :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing