Reed 3P has anyone hear this arm yet?

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
What wondering if anyone has heard this arm yet. How does it sound and how easy to work?

_Tom_

Apr 22, 2012
Germany / near Koblenz
Dear Worldcat.

A few weeks ago I visited an audiofriend who is using this tonearm.

His turntable is an Micro Seiki RX5000 an the cartridge was an cart from an unknown russian producer which sounds very great..

If you are able to reed german you can reed my homestory in the german analog - forum: http://www.analog-forum.de/wbboard/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=90384

For the audiofriends who can't read german here my impressions in your language.

The reed 3P is a tonearm who is made with great craftsmanship. He looks very fine.
The main new feature in this arm is the setting of azimut with a construction looking like an egg.
This construktion let you find the optimal azimut in a very simple way ( if you have the equipment to meassure the optimal setting)

I only listen one cartridge to this arm. It was a new cartridge of a craftman who is called Leonid Sinitsin.
It is a very special cartridge without tension wire like they nealy all other cartridges in the world are using.
This combination between arm cart and last but not least the turntable, makes a very realistic sound stage and was very speedy. Unfortunley the speakers were the limid in this reproduction, so I can't say exactly how good the combination was in fact.
But I think I can say that this tonearm is a very good one.

It is possible to order the tonearm in many different ways. You can order an 9", 10" and 12" arm tube. You can also order different finish on the metal parts. You have the choise between different wooden armtubes. At least you have the choise between many different wireing options.
In germany the price can be up to 5500,-€ that are about more than 6500,-$
And yes, If you read in my words that I like this tonearm, thats right... I think it is an very good one.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
worldcat: sean archer here has a reed arm, it is a different model i think but ping him if he doesn't pick up on this thread.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Dear Worldcat.

A few weeks ago I visited an audiofriend who is using this tonearm.

His turntable is an Micro Seiki RX5000 an the cartridge was an cart from an unknown russian producer which sounds very great..

If you are able to reed german you can reed my homestory in the german analog - forum: http://www.analog-forum.de/wbboard/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=90384

For the audiofriends who can't read german here my impressions in your language.

The reed 3P is a tonearm who is made with great craftsmanship. He looks very fine.
The main new feature in this arm is the setting of azimut with a construction looking like an egg.
This construktion let you find the optimal azimut in a very simple way ( if you have the equipment to meassure the optimal setting)

I only listen one cartridge to this arm. It was a new cartridge of a craftman who is called Leonid Sinitsin.
It is a very special cartridge without tension wire like they nealy all other cartridges in the world are using.
This combination between arm cart and last but not least the turntable, makes a very realistic sound stage and was very speedy. Unfortunley the speakers were the limid in this reproduction, so I can't say exactly how good the combination was in fact.
But I think I can say that this tonearm is a very good one.

It is possible to order the tonearm in many different ways. You can order an 9", 10" and 12" arm tube. You can also order different finish on the metal parts. You have the choise between different wooden armtubes. At least you have the choise between many different wireing options.
In germany the price can be up to 5500,-€ that are about more than 6500,-$
And yes, If you read in my words that I like this tonearm, thats right... I think it is an very good one.
tom can you tell us more about this cartridge?

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Hi Bill,

I have the 3Q. It is a very good arm. I do have a 3P on order. I am down to one TT now and wanted to have 2 arms as I have a few different carts. I should have the 3P in about a month. I will report on it after I have put it through it's paces.

Sean

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi Bill,

I have the 3Q. It is a very good arm. I do have a 3P on order. I am down to one TT now and wanted to have 2 arms as I have a few different carts. I should have the 3P in about a month. I will report on it after I have put it through it's paces.

Sean

Tell us about the ease of VTA adjustment on the fly with the 3Q. I assume it has the laser beam for finding level ? How is that laser powered...battery ? Thanks

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Tell us about the ease of VTA adjustment on the fly with the 3Q. I assume it has the laser beam for finding level ? How is that laser powered...battery ? Thanks

The 2A & 3Q are a gimbal design and are essentially the same except the 3Q has a laser level. The laser is powered by a battery. I have had it for about a year and have not needed to change the battery yet. The VTA is adjustable on the fly. To adjust VTA you just need to loosen the VTA locking knob on the bottom and then turn the VTA knob on the top. When your done tighten the locking knob. On the 2A there is an option for azimuth adjustment on the headshell. The 3Q has that option as standard. The anti-skate is mechanical on these but works well.

The 3P is a magnetically stabilized unipivot and has VTA and azimuth adjustment on the fly. It also has magnetic anti-skate adjustment. I am quite curious as to how it stacks up to the 3Q. It should be interesting.

Sean

_Tom_

Apr 22, 2012
Germany / near Koblenz
Dear Whart,

I've some links:
1. german: http://www.holgerbarske.com/2010/10/
2. german: http://www.holgerbarske.com/2010/10/ (here are also pics from the reed 3q)
3. homepage of the producer of the cartridge: http://lseng2.jimdo.com/

@ catastrofe During visiting an other audiofriend few weeks before I was so lucky also listen to the 2p.
you can read the homestory in the following link (german) http://www.analog-forum.de/wbboard/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=89915 there are also some pics.
I didn't compare both arms, but in my opinion the 2p also sounds great.The arm is built a bit more simple but the sound isn't less behind the 3p so I think.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
products...jpg reed tonearm fitted to a turntable lt starling turntable

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I am due to receive my 3P on Tuesday. Can't wait to hear it. I will post some pictures and impressions soon.

Sean

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Since wood changes with deltas of temperature and humidity (i.e.; it shrinks and expands), is wood really the ideal material to make a tonearm out of? I know wood looks cool, but is it really the most thermally stable material to make a tonearm out of in order to have consistent sound?

I know some of you guys don’t even like to turn on your air conditioner in the summer because of the noise it makes in your listening environment. Failure to do so will cause significant changes in your room humidity depending on where you live of course.

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
They are suppose to be treated for that. But i am sure it still is affected. My wood one's i have had sound amazing so thats all i can go by. If i did none wood i would get a Origin live Enterprise. I am in a humid area i leave my ac on but i keep it around 80 to 82.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Any news yet on this arm how it sounds?

I've had some time to listen to it. Compared to my Reed 3Q the 3P is slightly more sunny sounding. The bass may be slightly less solid but it is really close. The problem I have comparing them is I don't have two of the same cartridge and also my arm boards differ in construction as well. I have tried the same cart on the same arm board but it takes awhile to make the change. I can say they sound very similar. Not to say that is bad because they are both very good and are easily adjustable. I personally prefer the 3Q's adjustment of azimuth and antiskate. Most likely because I am more used to them. I don't think the 3P's azimuth on the fly is necessary.

I can't say for sure how they compare to other similarly priced arms because I have not had any others in the same price range. I can say I really like the results I am getting.

The other arm I would really like to try is the new Schroder LT. It is quite a bit more expensive though. I have had a chance to compare a Reed 2A against the LT on the same table and the LT was the clear winner.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Since wood changes with deltas of temperature and humidity (i.e.; it shrinks and expands), is wood really the ideal material to make a tonearm out of? I know wood looks cool, but is it really the most thermally stable material to make a tonearm out of in order to have consistent sound?

I know some of you guys don’t even like to turn on your air conditioner in the summer because of the noise it makes in your listening environment. Failure to do so will cause significant changes in your room humidity depending on where you live of course.

I have had my Reed 3Q for over a year and never noticed a change in the wood that effected it's alignment. The humidity does not change rapidly where I live though.

They are treated with a coating that stabilizes the wood. If the wood warped much at all it would be fairly obvious. I have yet to hear of anyone complaining that their wood arm warped on them. In the internet age you would think someone would have spoke up if there was a problem.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
audioarcher,

how easy and convenient is it to optimize vta for every record using the laser ?

It's actually quite easy. You just have to remember where the laser hit on the headshell last time and move the VTA dial till you hit the same mark. If you adjust the laser to hit the headshell right at the lead in groove it would take no time at all. The only problem would be if you have a cartridge that has a stylus angle that requires you to be far from level to attain the right SRA. In that case the laser will be too high or low and miss the headshell. I have a cart like that and it unfortunately makes the laser irrelevant. I think most carts will be fine though.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks..this arm is the only other one I will consider in addition to the Graham (which I use now) due to repeatable and accurate VTA adjustment for each record play. Perhaps there are other arms set optimally that can beat them, perhaps not..a matter of taste...but to me, any sound quality advantages other arms may have may be lost due to imprecise VTA based on variable record thickness.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing