Siltech Cables

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Wondering if anyone here has experience with Siltech's line of cables? As I have been reading up on various cable manufacturers (Transparent, MIT, Cardas, Nordost, etc) the brand that has probably interested me the most so far has been Siltech. Their focus seems to be on very advanced metallurgy which they believe is the main determinant of sound quality in a cable opposed to geometries, special treatments and otherwise. They make their own proprietary alloys which are basically high purity silver where they use small deposits of gold to fill up small crystalline gaps that exist between the molecules which they claim is where a lot of the distortion in cables originates. Apparently on a microscopic level these gaps are quite large in size and can have an effect on conductivity and the flow of current.

"Siltech adds gold to address what it believes is a deficiency in the structure of pure-silver (and pure-copper) conductors: the crystal structure that makes up such conductors produces small distortions when current flows through, and this makes for compromised signal transmission. Siltech adds 24K gold to high-purity silver to "fill" the gaps between crystals and thereby improve "micro-conductivity."

I am not aware of any other manufacturers that take this approach. They have also been in the business for a long time so their advanced technologies and materials seem to have trickled down into their more obtainable product lines (their top model stuff is $$$$$$$$$$). Their cables are said to be very natural sounding- dead quiet, highly neutral and uber-resolving with zero harshness up top.

Any first hand experience from the forum would be appreciated!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Wondering if anyone here has experience with Siltech's line of cables? As I have been reading up on various cable manufacturers (Transparent, MIT, Cardas, Nordost, etc) the brand that has probably interested me the most so far has been Siltech. Their focus seems to be on very advanced metallurgy which they believe is the main determinant of sound quality in a cable opposed to geometries, special treatments and otherwise. They make their own proprietary alloys which are basically high purity silver where they use small deposits of gold to fill up small crystalline gaps that exist between the molecules which they claim is where a lot of the distortion in cables originates. Apparently on a microscopic level these gaps are quite large in size and can have an effect on conductivity and the flow of current.

"Siltech adds gold to address what it believes is a deficiency in the structure of pure-silver (and pure-copper) conductors: the crystal structure that makes up such conductors produces small distortions when current flows through, and this makes for compromised signal transmission. Siltech adds 24K gold to high-purity silver to "fill" the gaps between crystals and thereby improve "micro-conductivity."

I am not aware of any other manufacturers that take this approach. They have also been in the business for a long time so their advanced technologies and materials seem to have trickled down into their more obtainable product lines (their top model stuff is $$$$$$$$$$). Their cables are said to be very natural sounding- dead quiet, highly neutral and uber-resolving with zero harshness up top.

Any first hand experience from the forum would be appreciated!

Well a lot of those "gaps" are a product according to A.J. van den Hul of how the cable is drawn and bent during manufacturing process. One also wonders if those like Nordost that using silver plated wire aren't also addressing a similar effect?

I did have a quick chance recently to try one of Siltech's new and highly affordable copper based cables as a phono cable. Very neutral and transparent though thought a touch recessed and lost a little information. But a great bang for the buck cable.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I use Classic Anniv. 770i xlr for my digital source. I find the treble to be a bit polite (not extended enough) for my analog rig. It's a good match for my digital source. I use Nordost Valhalla for my analog source, preamp to amp and speaker wire.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have owned and currently have several Siltech cables, AC, IC (RCA and balanced), Coax and Speaker. i have focused on the mid-range models (G5/FTM Gold/SPX and SG series), I think they are great cables with the right balance on speed/transparency and lack of colouration.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Thanks for the replies. "Recessed/loosing information" and "polite/not extended" are characteristics I try to avoid in any component, I understood them to be quite extended both ways from the various reviews. I guess I will need to listen to the brand in my own system to see the extent of the potential recessed nature. I would be aiming to go for the Classic Anniversary 770 series but may look at older models secondhand which may allow me to go higher up into the Signature line.

The current lines are Explorer, Classic Anniversary, and Royal Signature. The different metallurgies in the G4-G8 are clear to me (on their website) but how do their historic product lines fit together? There is LS, SQ, FTM Gold, SPX, SG, MXT, Signature Ruby, Signature Lake, and so forth. Can anyone shed some light as to where the various model sit in the lineup?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I think you will be happy with the 770i. Don't get me wrong, they are not rolled off in the treble...in fact, a very smooth treble extension. Nordost Valhalla is a bit more and I say a bit more extended in the treble. That is desireable for my system tonal balance.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
The current lines are Explorer, Classic Anniversary, and Royal Signature. The different metallurgies in the G4-G8 are clear to me (on their website) but how do their historic product lines fit together? There is LS, SQ, FTM Gold, SPX, SG, MXT, Signature Ruby, Signature Lake, and so forth. Can anyone shed some light as to where the various model sit in the lineup?

LS - just IC and speaker cables
SQ - Just IC
FTM Gold - just IC (great cable)
SPX - just AC
SG - stands for Silver/Gold
MXT - IC and spkr, lesser quality than all of the above
Signature - Top line, high north price

(could be wrong, please double check)

My picks are of course FTM4 Gold, SPX 30 and 40 and LS for speakers, G3 and up..

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Some friends and me have just comoared about a dozen cables, from Transparent to Cardas to Siltech, the FTM4 Gold won all over, but was the most expensive one. Sorry for not mentioning the models, will try if someone isinterested, suffice to say the otherswere not TOTL.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Some friends and me have just comoared about a dozen cables, from Transparent to Cardas to Siltech, the FTM4 Gold won all over, but was the most expensive one. Sorry for not mentioning the models, will try if someone isinterested, suffice to say the otherswere not TOTL.

Back when G5 was their current top model series, I used their Compass Lake top model interconnect. They were outstanding. They easily outperformed the Nordost Valhalla in my system at the time. Valhalla was Nordost's top model back then. The only cable I could find at that time which matched or surpassed the Compass Lake performance was the Purist Audio Design Dominus RLS with the active Raidant Light System.

From what I understand the new Siltech Double Crown series is a big improvement over the previous G5, G6 and Royal Signature G7 series.

I also believe that Kharma use the same conductors in their cables as Siltech.

From my experience with Siltech they are very neutral, resolved and dynamic. They don't have the elevated top-end that the Nordost Odin has and less dark than the Transparent Audio Opus MM2.

Thanks,
Roysen

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. I have become very interested in these cables and will look to try some out in my system. Crystal cable the sister company seems interesting also and is said to be closer to Nordost without over emphasising the treble. I will post back when I have had a chance to listen to some of these cables.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks for the feedback. I have become very interested in these cables and will look to try some out in my system. Crystal cable the sister company seems interesting also and is said to be closer to Nordost without over emphasising the treble. I will post back when I have had a chance to listen to some of these cables.

I have used Siltech for years and have switched to Nordost Valhalla. If the treble is over emphasized, it's usually not the cable...it's somewhere in the source chain. My system is very neutral and I found the extension of treble on Siltech...at least the Classic Anniversay series to be a bit polite. That may be better for other systems, especially digital only systems. I have not tried the Royal Crown series and quite frankly don't see the value in their hyper expensive line. Valhalla is not cheap, but to me represents a god value given the quality of my current system. Nordost is lightning fast in the transmission of the signal, I felt Siltech was a bit slower. Ymmv

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
The elevared top end from Nordost cables is something I can recognize in most systems using Nordost cables.

Thanks,
Roysen

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Just about every Nordost review I have ever read mentions the somewhat forward sound. They may balance out systems that have a somewhat recessed top end?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The best cables are the one's that sound best to you in your system. It is ludicrous not to suggest that a given cable sounding wonderful in one system may not sound the same in another. If it takes you $40k to find a great sounding speaker cable, great. Fortunately for me, it does not take that kind of over inflated priced cable to make me happy. Siltech is the pioneer of the hyper priced cable market.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
The best cables are the one's that sound best to you in your system. It is ludicrous not to suggest that a given cable sounding wonderful in one system may not sound the same in another. If it takes you $40k to find a great sounding speaker cable, great. Fortunately for me, it does not take that kind of over inflated priced cable to make me happy. Siltech is the pioneer of the hyper priced cable market.

Your arguments about pricing have little value since you write that you haven't heard the top line Siltech.

Thanks,
Roysen

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The elevared top end from Nordost cables is something I can recognize in most systems using Nordost cables.

Thanks,
Roysen

I don't think that Nordost elevates the top end. Instead I think Nordost opens up the top end so that the reproduction of timbre and high frequency detail becomes more evident and not lost in the mix. IMO, most other cables haze over or delete these details.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Your arguments about pricing have little value since you write that you haven't heard the top line Siltech.

Thanks,
Roysen

If you think it takes $40k on speaker wire to maximize speaker performance, good on you. Keep drinking the kool-aid...Siltech loves folks like you.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Well, I am just pointing out that Siltechs top model 4 productgenerations ago was more linear and neutral than Nordost Valhalla. I do however notice that you use Pass Labs amplifiers and have no problem understanding why you like the synergy with Nordost. It does not mean that Valhalla's elevated top end suits all amplifiers equally well.

No need to be rude. I am just pointing out the obvious. Your opinion on the value of a product you have not tried is of course of no use to others no matter how expensive the product might be.

That people would want to optimize their sound with the best cables should be no surprise to someone having put as much money as you have into your system. It is no need to take it as a provocation that some people spend more money than you on cables and think its worth the money like you probably think its no need for anybody to see it as a provocation that you have bought Wilson X2 speakers and probably think its worth the money.

Value is so individual the it is pointless to try to force your own opinion on value on others.

Thanks,
Roysen

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Value is so individual the it is pointless to try to force your own opinion on value on others.

Thanks,
Roysen

That I agree with whole heartedly. Just because I don't see cable expenditures at that a level a good value, that doesn't mean others don't. And yes, I do apologize for my rudeness. I'm a bit cranky due to pain narcotics that I am on during my recovery from a recent accident/surgery.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing