Early Thoughts on the Musical Fidelity V-Link 192

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Just got this new V-Link gizmo in today. I have gone from using a MacMini to USB input on Benchmark DAC1 Pre to Mac Mini into V-Link 192 into the Benchmark DAC1 Pre. Using the fine AQ Diamond as USB cable and a Stereolab UltraXV SPDIF. Next up is trying an AES cable which I hear moves the DAC1 Pre up another level.

This device simply converts the USB data stream from a server in my case the Mac Mini into and SPDIF or AES digital stream. This allows one to use any DAC with an SPDIF input as many do not have the USB input. In the case of the DAC1 Pre there is some discussion on the quality of its USB input since it is not asynchronous.

Some observations:

1. Very transparent sound. Even better sound than I had before. Vocals are better, midrange and HF seem smoother and great bass is still present.

2. Very well built for the money.

3. I like the different colored LEDs that show the various sampling rates from 44.1 to 192 including the 176 we use for our classical recordings.

4. High value price. I got this used for below retail but for $399 I would have still have been happy.

Highest recommendation.

Computer audio seems a bit mysterious in how many cables and devices can impact the sound and moreso than reasoning would suggest. It's definitely a journey.

I will comment soon on any observations using an AES cable between the V-Link 192 and the Benchmark.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the review. I was not a fan of the original V-Link because it did not have isolation. As a result, its performance would be system dependent. I believe this incarnation has one.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Thanks for the review. I was not a fan of the original V-Link because it did not have isolation. As a result, its performance would be system dependent. I believe this incarnation has one.

Correct sir. There is galvanic isolation on this one.

Alas, one of your customers who is a friend says the Berkeley USB converter is even better. It never ends! :)

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
One more thought here. Although you are adding an extra cable here, SPDIF or AES, you are probably getting less jitter on the input to the Benchmark. Or at least that is my theory based on what I have heard and read.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Just got this new V-Link gizmo in today. I have gone from using a MacMini to USB input on Benchmark DAC1 Pre to Mac Mini into V-Link 192 into the Benchmark DAC1 Pre. Using the fine AQ Diamond as USB cable and a Stereolab UltraXV SPDIF. Next up is trying an AES cable which I hear moves the DAC1 Pre up another level.

This device simply converts the USB data stream from a server in my case the Mac Mini into and SPDIF or AES digital stream. This allows one to use any DAC with an SPDIF input as many do not have the USB input. In the case of the DAC1 Pre there is some discussion on the quality of its USB input since it is not asynchronous.

Some observations:

1. Very transparent sound. Even better sound than I had before. Vocals are better, midrange and HF seem smoother and great bass is still present.

2. Very well built for the money.

3. I like the different colored LEDs that show the various sampling rates from 44.1 to 192 including the 176 we use for our classical recordings.

4. High value price. I got this used for below retail but for $399 I would have still have been happy.

Highest recommendation.

Computer audio seems a bit mysterious in how many cables and devices can impact the sound and moreso than reasoning would suggest. It's definitely a journey.

I will comment soon on any observations using an AES cable between the V-Link 192 and the Benchmark.

Hi there:

See my review:

We are on on the same page!

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-accessories/av-cables/musical-fidelity-v-link-192-review.html

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I have one of those as well, as tested it against the dCS Puccini U-Clock's USB input. Of course, not a fair comparison, given the price difference, but the V-Link didn't fare too badly in this case. Both hooked up to a Paganini DAC.
The V-Link 192 was more etched and dry, and more instantly likeable, but fatiguing in the long run. Still, a hell of a good device for $399...
I still use it to play files above 96k, which is the limit of the U-Clock...

alexandre

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Here is a grainy pic of the new setup. Will try the AES cable later.

photo.jpg

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Terrific Andre. Thanks.

I started with a Belkin Gold as well but the Audioquest Diamond has just blown it away. I was surprised what a good USB cable can do. I guess it is all analog at the end of the day.

There is no doubt USB cables make a difference. But the AQ Diamond costs more than the V-Link 192!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I did use the Apogee Wyde Eye AES cable tonight and it made a difference.

So it seems Mac Integer Mode with Pure >> VLink >> Benchmark DAC1 is the key to a really fine sound via computer files.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing