Mosecode Super "it" hybrid phono preamplifier.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Well, I just got one. It is a modified unit and I'm unsure as to which mods were performed but it did sound good when I heard it playing over a pair of Apogee speakers when auditioning. It needs a little TLC, the balance pot removed for a cleaner signal, the unit to be cleaned and I'll have to order a volume knob and screws to keep the upper lid in place. Other than that, I can refurbish this to very nice condition. It looks like most of the caps have already been changed to Sonicaps and two have been changed to Auricaps [C7].

I'll be performing maintenance on it when I'm listening to my digital sources and listening to it when I can. I was just wondering if anybody has one or has had one and what things they did or what tubes they used to get the best performance out of it. I'll be running a Music Hall MMF-5 with the Goldring 1012Gx cartridge and I'll be swapping the IC's from the Super "it" until I find a set that pairs well with the rig. I have some tubes to roll but what is currently in there is one Amperex 12AX7 from Holland and two National 12AX7/ECC83's from Yugoslavia. These tubes sounded best out of the stash that my buddy I have acquired it from had in his tube stash. Well, at least they did in his rig. We'll see how they perform in my rig. The rest of my current rig is listed below;

PS - Richard Grey 400Pro Power Supply to -
CDP - Jolida JD100 CDP with 2ea. Ei 12AX7 Gold Pins, tube dampers, Rick's Sorbothane risers and Transparent Reference IC's to -
TT - Music Hall MMF-5 w/ Goldring 1012Gx cart, "The Clamp", isolation footing, the 25th AE Nitty Gritty DS RCM in Jatoba with the "Shark", modded Moscode Super "it" hybrid phono preamplifier to
SACD - Denon 2910 w/ Transparent Ultra IC's [SACD only] to -
PRE - Dodd Audio MLP tubed pre-amplifier with 4ea. Ei 12AX7 Gold Pins, isolation footings w/ custom cord to separate PS and pre. w/ Transparent Reference IC's to -
AMP - Musical Fidelity AC3r Dual Mono SS amplifier w/ AudioQuest CV-8's w/ a 72v BP upgrade to -
SPEAKERS - Tyler Acoustics Lynbrook Signature Series in Ribbon Mahogany, spiked and on 1-1/4" hardwood plinths with a stereo set of Tyler Acoustics custom subs, spiked and on Target stands w/custom IC's coming from the outputs of the Musical Fidelity AC3r to each sub.

I look forward to having some fun this week tuning it to my preference and getting it all adjusted to my rig. :) I'm also wondering if our member, Dr. Moscode (George Kaye of Moscode) is still hanging around the forum. I see that he hasn't been here for quite some time and it would be nice to see his return to the forum.

Tom

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
People say that you can’t trust your audio memory for five minutes and now I’m going to have to back around 30 years. I had a Super It in my system for awhile and it was ‘OK’ sounding for a budget phono. If my memory is correct, it was rather thick and dark sounding (rolled-off upper octaves) and none too quick on its feet. Forget ‘Jack be Nimble’ because it ain’t happening here.

I wouldn’t set your expectation bias too high for this phono preamp and maybe you will be happy with it. I don’t know what you are using now. And yeah, somebody replaced some caps (and how well did they remove the old ones and solder in the new ones?), but the circuit design is always paramount to how something sounds and boutique parts are the mere icing on the cake.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing