The Black Hole Spatial Computer

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, done. New Elrog 845 tubes, Audion Quattro 4 box true mono preamp and Sablon Quantum Gran Corona PCs w/rhodium plated plugs have done a lot to boost bass in my room, esp the PCs. I had to turn down gold plated plugs since bass was TOO full. Am I due a return visit to hear your Liszts now the bass-room issues have been sorted?
Re my system, my life change move to the country in 2 yrs will see me building a listening room from scratch, and I'll be paying close attention to acoustic design from the outset, despite our differences I'm sure we agree this will be positive.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Are you on an evangelical drive to tell us what is the "truth" Keith? You sound like the worst evangelical. I guarantee Magico spkrs measure better than your Liszts, Halcro amps measure better than your Bakoons, hi rez measures better than your Monaco tt. But I don't see you switching to this system soon. Tbh, as an unapologetic arch objectivist on these forums, you really need to be totally consistent and go for the best measuring gear. A Technics SL1200 tt/Denon 103, 70s/80s Yamaha receiver and ATC spkrs should do the business.
Do you really think the Liszts would sell that many on an a-b trial? Their overt character would put more people off than an a-b of Magico or B&W etc - and I speak as a massive fan of the Liszt.
I'm just not going to respond to anymore tbh sniffy comments about no measurement=no sound=sham. I see you didn't respond to Atmasphere's comments that he does measure electrical differences w/different PCs.
Yes, gold plugs make a massive difference.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Are you on an evangelical drive to tell us what is the "truth" Keith? You sound like the worst evangelical.

Hi spirit,

Based on previous posts made on similar non conventional room treatment threads, are you surprised?

I'm not. Too bad really but, I suspect, some things will never change.

:D

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Dude, I have a lot of fondness for Keith, but we're at polar opposites on the objective/subjective divide. I don't doubt the serious cash I've spent on isolation/cables/power/grounding, and yes the Spatial unit, could well have been spent more practically on room treatments, maybe even DSP multichannel. But I'm confident I've chosen well, and have not been a COMPLETE sap. In fact so many avenues have disappointed me, that I feel my expectation bias isn't operating v.often.
Where I do have sympathy w/the O crowd are tweaks like SR which just don't seem to conform to much of physics, and make unusually overconfident claims of life changing SQ, and just don't "talk" to me from a purely interested potential customer POV.
I don't decry anyone who makes a positive choice on these SR products, but my interest is in products that have discernible physics, and moderate claims, and power/acoustics is really where my curiosity is piqued.
In life we have to make executive decisions on what we're happy to investigate, and what doesn't appeal, and my efforts are mainly aimed at power/grounding.
But the Spatial unit, even though not as decisive as these, has still proved too be really valuable in getting to the current sound I love.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Dude, I have a lot of fondness for Keith, but we're at polar opposites on the objective/subjective divide.

Given that he owns and runs a "mom and pop" store, I have no doubt that he is a well intentioned, well informed audio type.

Maybe he can serve as your "alter ego" during the rebuilding process and provide appropriate information as required.

In the end, the only thing that matters is that you are happy.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
:rolleyes:
However the road to happiness is a serious business, and can often lead to…unhappiness :p:eek:!
Keith should be happy that my only expenditure in a couple of years is going to be on room acoustics as I attempt to build a dedicated listening room.
The O/S balance sure is a tentative one.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Keith, no doubt. I would love to have spent the budget on the room on your Liszts, but I can't split the budget both ways.
And I'm confident it will sound even better when I put all my Entreq grounding and Sablon cables back in :p!

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
Cessaro are made with as little compromise as possible they are the best loudspeakers you can buy, but there are other super loudspeakers available, the Grimm Ls1's are the best 'conventional ' ( although hardly that ) loudspeakers I have heard, I am not sure a complete system would suit you though.
The Ls1's were designed as a total system, everything is built in A/D D/A , power amps, preamp, async USB, you could use them with your Sablon power cords though!
Keith.

Can you post the uncorrected frequency response of the Listz I for us to see?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing