FM Acoustics Vintage Preamps

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

When FMA released 266 in 1992 and 268 in 2001 - at that time both was way ahead on their competitors, and still is. I've tested many other brands preamps against both of them, but haven't found any which can replace them.
I only know of a small handful of preamps that are in the same class.

Thanks, Wizard...just curious...what do you think that small handful of preamps would be?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
So far only Horch, Trinity and Analog Domain.

Interesting...i have read good things about both Trinity and Analog Domain, but never heard them myself. I'll remember that in case i come across them. Have not actually heard of Horch before.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
What an interesting set of pics and history wizard! Thanks for taking the time and share it!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You can see Horch pictures at my blog.
One of my friends couldn't afford FMA, he bought Horch Referenz Stage preamp and Power-Stage instead.

No pictures of Referenz series, but Stage is a much bigger version of Balance preamp, and Power-Stage is like 4 Fortis placed on top of each other - yes Power-Stage is built in modules.

The Horch owner designed the legendary Dynaudio Arbiter pre and amps.

thanks!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wizard,

you posted in this thread: "One of my friends bought the FMA 266 + 811II in 2004, they are still his references, he's using Kaiser Kawero with them, and the sound is just outstanding."

How do you compare these speakers with others? Just curious as have read some good things about them recently. Thanks for any guidance!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

One of the best speakers out there, but the bass isn't the deepest - it goes down to around 25Hz.
That's why Kaiser will release a bigger version soon. Don't know the name but it can be called Kawero Grand.

Yes the sound of Kawero is perfectly balanced, nothing stands out - even the super fast and detailed RAAL tweeter is perfectly blended in with the midrange and bass drivers.

Great stuff! i knew you would know more about this. When is the bigger version to be released? This year?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Maybe at Highend 2013, and priced I think around €200,000.
The Kawero Classic with external Duelund crossover is €80,000.

And

After a decade of FMA use my friend will change to a new preamp and amps from an different European brand, but still keeping the FMA cables and Kawero speakers.

Interesting...one does not hear of someone leaving FM often...to what brand is he moving?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I know the model and brand after Highend in May.
But it's none of this brands: Goldmund, dartzeel, Soulution, Burmester, Gryphon, Sovereign, Orpheus, Tidal......

interesting...please post when you can! Thanks, Wizard.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
After listen to many preamp designs from other brands - there was some really good sounding, but he will upgrade to a used 268 instead.
268 wasn't a small upgrade over 266II, 811II really comes to life now - he couldn't believe how good it was until now.

So I think he will use FMA for one more decade.

Good to know...have heard great things about the 268.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing