Master Laquers - Can they be played on a turntable..

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Davey,

I am keeping that in mind and I am also paying attention to the word "Theoretically" in Don's post you have quoted. I may call Quality Records if I can speak to someone and ask someone who is pressing vinyl what to expect and be concerned about playing back a laquer.

yes Bill... classicrecords.com

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
Christian..... any updates? played one yet?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi Eddie,

I have pretty much confirmed to my satisfaction that with nitro-cellulose lacquers, I can expect about 20 plays until the groove walls start to deteriorate significantly. That said, The 8 album selections I have remain sealed. I will probably check out an album soon, once I find time and I go through and re-calibrate/align my studer R2R's so that I can dub a copy to tape on the first spin. Playing lacquers is a guilty pleasure I suppose, due to their short play life.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Would these play better with a stylus that has a simple profile, like a Denon 103, Ortofon SPU, or some other conical cartridge? It seems to me that a sophisticated profile might present a higher risk to the grooves, even if it does retrieve more information.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing