Slanted walls

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Some of the great custom made listening rooms we can see in in forums have slanted walls, with the purpose of spreading room modes, controlling bass response and creating some diffusion. Is there an optimal angle or a formula for the best angle for a certain room width and length?

Jeff Hedback

[Industry Expert]
Feb 9, 2011
Indpls, IN
www.HdAcoustics.net
Hello Microstrip,

Nice topic. I consider a total 8deg variance between sidewalls to be minimal (4 deg per side). This is sufficient to reduce flutter echo's and most midrange room ring. However (and the bummer is), that this does not change the modal distribution much if any at all below ~150Hz. There are times when I'll splay each sidewall as far as 12deg out per side. At this point, and with a more complex ceiling shape, you can change the modal distribution where you have less axial and tangential modes as they are driven into oblique paths.

Just last week, I developed an octagonal shape for a studio client that had truly exceptional consistency in terms of sound pressure from 20Hz to 150Hz. I utilized BEM (boundary element modeling) for those studies.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My teacher, John Storyk of WSDG said a splay of 2 inches for every 10 feet of length was minimum. How many degrees is that?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
My teacher, John Storyk of WSDG said a splay of 2 inches for every 10 feet of length was minimum. How many degrees is that?

my calculation suggests 0.75 degrees

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Jack,
My mental calculus only works for the metric system ... :) . But I find it too little - it seems to be around 1 degree.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
IME, the main thing slanted walls does is to move the reflection points. Not that it is not worthwhile, but it does complicate room analysis considerably. The trade in reducing first reflections and to some extent reducing higher-frequency (above the low bass) modes iat the listening position s very worthwhile if you can do it. As has been said, it does not help the fundamental deep bass modes, and does not really provide additional diffusion, just redirects the reflections (which itself can be worthwhile as mentioned).

2" in 10' is 2" in 120"; I get 0.955 degrees as the arctan of (2/120).

The "proper" angle depends upon a number of factors, including speaker position and directionality, listening position, and frequency.

FWIWFM - Don

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
2" in 10' is 2" in 120"; I get 0.955 degrees as the arctan of (2/120).
(...)
The "proper" angle depends upon a number of factors, including speaker position and directionality, listening position, and frequency.

Happy to find that my mental calculus is still working, even in imperial units! :)

I will reformulate my question - what are the effects of choosing an arbitrary small angle, such as 3 or 4º ? Can it get worst than parallel walls?

Jeff Hedback

[Industry Expert]
Feb 9, 2011
Indpls, IN
www.HdAcoustics.net
As "kinda" mentioned in my earlier post, you can greatly diminish upper mid and high frequency flutter and room ring with these smaller splays (again, 4 degrees is where I would target minimally).

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Aside from the reduction of flutter, just building the false walls will reduce ringing especially if the walls happen to be concrete or CHB which is common in the rim of fire.

Micro, my front wall looks pretty solid but the wood panels are actually tuned labyrinths with 4 inches of rock wool behind them. Behind my painting is compressed fiber glass also about 4 inches covered with Guilford fabric. It was designed with a painting of that size in mind. Without the painting, which is actually angled for the ceiling cloud to catch 2'd refections from it, that front wall just sucks up too much energy and the imaging becomes distant and unfocused. As always a good balance between absorption and even coverage through diffusion should be carefully considered. Personally, I like diffusion in the middle third of the front wall.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Happy to find that my mental calculus is still working, even in imperial units! :)

I will reformulate my question - what are the effects of choosing an arbitrary small angle, such as 3 or 4º ? Can it get worst than parallel walls?

Parallel or angled you have to look at the reflection points and see what works. An angled wall moves the reflections back further but you still have to consider the source (speaker) and receiver (listener). Ray tracing software, or just using triangle in a drawing program, to help get the angles of incidence and reflection equal, can be helpful.

As Jeff said, the angle also reduces interactions among reflections to reduce flutter echo and the like, and may reduce the amount of room treatment needed for optimal sound.

HTH - Don

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing