Sonus Faber to build speakers in China

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
China can and does build to high standards when high standards are demanded. The problems manufacturers have had is having over runs and knock offs flooding the market. That is the dangerous proposition! The irony is the cosmetics of the Aida and the upcoming Venere line. They sure look a lot like Usher's Dancer that came out years before. Also, the world economy appears to be headed in the other direction. BRIC's growth is slowing and China has been doing it's own share of dole outs as it tries to transition into a strong consumer economy as wages are increasing. Building a factory in China to service that emerging market makes a lot of sense. Note where the Venere line will be launched.........in Hong Kong!

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Sonus Faber is going to be producing a line of budget speakers built in China to be sold by Best Buy. As far back as I can remember Sonus Faber has been recognized as a high-end speaker manufacturer. By producing a line of speakers in China doesn't this hurt there Image. I can't Imagine a company like Ferrari building a budget car in China. Maybe this is just a sign of the times but I personally don't like it.

if it were made in japan would that be better or do you just dislike china/chinese anything? fyi, B&W speakers below the diamond series and ALL classe electrontics are now made in china.

i remember cheap hand tools made in japan flooding the US market and my dad cursing and throwing away yet another japanese wrentch because it stripped a nut or broke in two. Japan-made is now among the best and has been for at least three decades. you wont have to wait 40-yrs for china to output quality goods its coming online now. as for italian cars made in china, it might actually be an improvement. have you ever owned an alfa veloce spider, lancia or fiat - junk!

taters

Jun 6, 2012
if it were made in japan would that be better or do you just dislike china/chinese anything? fyi, B&W speakers below the diamond series and ALL classe electrontics are now made in china.

i remember cheap hand tools made in japan flooding the US market and my dad cursing and throwing away yet another japanese wrentch because it stripped a nut or broke in two. Japan-made is now among the best and has been for at least three decades. you wont have to wait 40-yrs for china to output quality goods its coming online now. as for italian cars made in china, it might actually be an improvement. have you ever owned an alfa veloce spider, lancia or fiat - junk!

The only think I like Chinese is the food.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
as for italian cars made in china, it might actually be an improvement. have you ever owned an alfa veloce spider, lancia or fiat - junk!
True, that. I kinda like the new Fiat 500, but it doesn't look like it has the build quality of a Mini. When you get up to the little red cars from Modena, their build quality is pretty good these days. The old ones- well...
I know one of my older sports cars- the seller made a point of showing me the glue smeared all over the leather inner sill- he said, don't have that cleaned off- it shows it's a handmade car!
I had a Fiat 124 back in the early 70's- it was rust in motion. I finally let my mechanic take it where it stood, after it caught fire, in exchange for the money I owed him for the last repair.
But the design! Pininfarina was glorious.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
True, that. I kinda like the new Fiat 500, but it doesn't look like it has the build quality of a Mini. When you get up to the little red cars from Modena, their build quality is pretty good these days. The old ones- well...
I know one of my older sports cars- the seller made a point of showing me the glue smeared all over the leather inner sill- he said, don't have that cleaned off- it shows it's a handmade car!
I had a Fiat 124 back in the early 70's- it was rust in motion. I finally let my mechanic take it where it stood, after it caught fire, in exchange for the money I owed him for the last repair.
But the design! Pininfarina was glorious.

Well this thread brings back memories, LOL:). I too used to own a Fiat 124 in the day, after I had rebuilt the darn thing twice I gave up on it and let the next poor unsuspecting soul have the enjoyment:(. It was good to look at and quirky enough to be remembered.

BTW, taters, do you know that Evolution Acoustics is manufacturing their MM1's in China. Hasn't seemed to diminish the interest or desirability of that speaker or line.
One other question for you taters, what's more important to you:confused:....where the speaker is manufactured or how it sounds? Personally, I couldn't give a rat's.... where it's made so long as it sounds great and performs up to my expectations. I guess YMMV.

taters

Jun 6, 2012
Well this thread brings back memories, LOL:). I too used to own a Fiat 124 in the day, after I had rebuilt the darn thing twice I gave up on it and let the next poor unsuspecting soul have the enjoyment:(. It was good to look at and quirky enough to be remembered.

BTW, taters, do you know that Evolution Acoustics is manufacturing their MM1's in China. Hasn't seemed to diminish the interest or desirability of that speaker or line.
One other question for you taters, what's more important to you:confused:....where the speaker is manufactured or how it sounds? Personally, I couldn't give a rat's.... where it's made so long as it sounds great and performs up to my expectations. I guess YMMV.

Enjoy you're Chinese built products. I'll stay with my American and European built products.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
....they dropped ScanSpeak in favor of some drivers of unknown origin, with a very cheap look/finish...

Who's to say that ScanSpeak wasn't made there as well? We all know how many high-end companies use them.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

caesar

May 30, 2010
Enjoy you're Chinese built products. I'll stay with my American and European built products.

Taters, so what is it specifically about Chinese products that you don't like? If the products were built by workers with skill levels of US or Europe, would you still balk?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I am actually surprised that Sonus would choose China to build their products. Chinese wages have gone up, while the skill levels of Chinese manufacturing workers - on average - are still not on par with European and US standards. Another country with cheaper wages is probably a better deal of one is looking at this from a low cost perspective.

Considering the higher Chinese wages and possibility of defects/ rework, this may not be the smartest business move.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
one of the great cusines of the world. ironic then that chinese food you get in America is inferior to what you get in Asia :p
Wu Liang Ye in Gotham is actually pretty serious - but it is owned by a Chinese liquor company, which, i believe, is in turn owned by the Chinese government. If you ever come to NY, let me know and I'll take you there.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think this whole made in China thing maybe a psychological thing and needs getting used to. :)

In the future, if Wilson, Von Schwekert, Magico, Genesis, Audio Research, Conrad Johnson are all made in China, then there will not be a problem to anyone, I think. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
one of the great cusines of the world. ironic then that chinese food you get in America is inferior to what you get in Asia :p

I'll give you an little insider tip :) When in a chinese restaurant like those often seen in strip malls, there's almost always another menu with the good stuff. Ask for the "dinner" menu with a knowing smile and a wink. If the waitress looks at you funny just order the chop suey. LOL.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think this whole made in China thing maybe a psychological thing and needs getting used to. :)

In the future, if Wilson, Von Schwekert, Magico, Genesis, Audio Research, Conrad Johnson are all made in China, then there will not be a problem to anyone, I think. :)

Von Schweikert did it with the retail line, the VR-4jr and below. The first batches were up to spec but over time rejection rates became unacceptable. They also got their intellectual property ripped off. They've vowed never to go back again.

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
China is set to build commercial aircraft by to rival boeing and airbus. Ive heard Chinese built audio gear that sound great but that will be the day when you can convince me to ride on a Chinese built and designed aircraft.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Chinese wages have gone up, while the skill levels of Chinese manufacturing workers - on average - are still not on par with European and US standards.

Hello Caesar

I am curious to where that opinion is coming from. My company has a factory in the Tianjin Free Trade Zone. I got to help set it up and help train the workers. Aside from the obvious issues with language once we got them up to speed and they knew what was expected they were fine. Just like here training them properly makes all the difference in the world. If the workmanship is an issue in a factory blame the management not the worker.

Rob:)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
China is set to build commercial aircraft by to rival boeing and airbus. Ive heard Chinese built audio gear that sound great but that will be the day when you can convince me to ride on a Chinese built and designed aircraft.

They have a billion people to test those aircrafts on. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing